Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

strange whipping noise before my boost kicks in

pipdogg13

pipdogg13 said:

hi all

have just replaced my turbo in my sti as it s*** itself on me, and now have another one in and have noticed it makes a whipping like sound, maybe like a belt slipping or something, it was making this noise before the old turbo went and am hoping that it wont make this turbo go the same way. does anyone know what it might be making this sound?

tried searching the forums but couldnt find anything about a whipping noise coming from the engine so have tried to start this up here

cheers

So back to the start. What happened to the original one and how did you find out it was stuffed in the first place and who told you to replace it?

pipdogg13 said:

i think i may have been f****d over by my garage. the turbo i gave them to install was in very good cond (for a 2nd hand turbo) but had problems when i first got it home. i took it back in and told them all the issues i was having which were like what happened to the 1st turbo before i took it to them. they kept it a couple more days told me it was done again and i could pick it up, when it was picked up i was told by the mechanic that the turbo must've been haddit and that they couldnt find anything else to check or why i was having these issues...there was no play in it and the wheels were all good but now the turbo is rattling which could be oil deprevation...im thinking the garage didnt check out why it happened the 1st time, banged on my next turbo sent the car home, i drove it round thinking it was ok and the same issue has reared its ugly head. any suggestions on what can be done? im going to take the car for a 2nd opinion but am sure i have been stiffed by my local that i've been using for many years now. the mechanic working on it even admitted he didnt know much about subies so im not sure he did the job right 1st time. would love to think i havent been done over but just dont know what else could have happened. will have the turbo taken out so i can see if it looks like it did BEFORE it was installed, just wanting to know anyone elses thoughts on this.

cheers

What was done again, they took it off again and replaced the gaskets and replaced and re bolted the turbo?

When it was rattling was it when it was idling, when you revved it or when it was coming on boost. I know when I blew my vf22 it didnt rattle, it was a graunging noise like metal on metal and it happened when you gave it the slightly tickle of throttle. At idle it was ok. Build any boost and it made a h ell of a racket.

The thrust bearing had given way at 8000rpm.

the original turbo was making that strange whiplike noise like a wooosh sound on boost and then all of a sudden it just wasnt boosting at all, i rang a family friend to come look at it and he took it off and informed me the turbo was stuffed, looked like something had been sucked thru it and wrecking the wheels inside it. took it to the local garage and they told me it was stuffed and they could try to get it recon'ed but was then informed that it would cost too much, in the mean time i had come across a turbo for sale that was 2nd hand but in mint condition. took that to them and have had trouble with it ever since and havent been able to drive it at all now that i have it home again. the rattling i guess could be more like a metal on metal sound...doesnt sound good at all though. i took the car back the 1st time as the turbo wasnt making that rattling sound but was making like a whistling sound and wouldnt boost up past .2 bar and still would make that wooosh noise as the turbo would start to boost up

hope that answers what you's asked?

Im with evowrx, oil blockage in the turbo feed, check the filter basket in the head banjo has been removed, check it to see if it looks blocked. and find a better mechanic. They may have fixed the turbo but not fixed what caused the old one to go.

If it is a blockage your new turbo will probably be stuffed too.

Has anyone told you what exactly was wrong with the old one?

@Stoffa nah just that it looked like something was sucked thru into the old turbo, im going to take it to another mechanic and will get him to check what you said, if the new one is stuffed too i might go my local for another one as im positive it was just put on without any checks to see what caused the 1st one to crap out

Yeah turbos don't just nuke themselves without something forcing them into it. I bought a car cheap where someone had done literally this - it nuked a turbo, they just swapped the cartridge and front cover (rear turbo on a legnum, can't blame them as it's a pig of a place to get at) - that turbo lasted a fortnight and died, so I got the car dirt cheap when they gave up.

Oil feed was literally choked up with burnt oil, must have been getting a dribble through - just - but not enough to do the job.

If your turbo is eating things it might pay to whip the intercooler off and see if it's caught any bits of it on the way through, might give you an insight.

cheers for all the info guys, will tell the next mechanic to check out all these things...think my usual garage was a bit lax with it and could of ended up stuffing my replacement turbo too. would it be too late for it? making that funny noise (rattling or grinding) on start up

pipdogg13 said:

cheers for all the info guys, will tell the next mechanic to check out all these things...think my usual garage was a bit lax with it and could of ended up stuffing my replacement turbo too. would it be too late for it? making that funny noise (rattling or grinding) on start up

take a video of the said sound on start up.. just a short one...

there are really 4 common things that can happen with turbos?..

there is s*** going up the up pipe into the turbine side and ruining the turbine - they do oil seals but continue to run and die slowly.

Oil feed line is blocked and they starve from oil - they cartridge overheats and they die very quickly nuking themselves.

your intake tract is s***, and its sucks stuff into the compressor - they nuke them selves very quickly.

you over boost them - they over spin and often let a wheel go - they insta nuke.

Start looking at the top three first and see where that takes you.

Other things can happen obviosuly but that will give you a good start. Sometimes its a combination of those + a heap of abuse boosting them cold and lack of maintenance etc. but given two have died that quick on you id doubt you're that unlucky.

funkytown said:

there is s*** going up the up pipe into the turbine side and ruining the turbine - they do oil seals but continue to run and die slowly.

Oil feed line is blocked and they starve from oil - they cartridge overheats and they die very quickly nuking themselves.

your intake tract is s***, and its sucks stuff into the compressor - they nuke them selves very quickly.

you over boost them - they over spin and often let a wheel go - they insta nuke.

Start looking at the top three first and see where that takes you.

Other things can happen obviosuly but that will give you a good start. Sometimes its a combination of those + a heap of abuse boosting them cold and lack of maintenance etc. but given two have died that quick on you id doubt you're that unlucky.

thanks heaps funky will get the new mechanic to check those out asap

ADIKT']

[quote name='pipdogg13 said:

/quote]take a video of the said sound on start up.. just a short one...

will do that today and upload it as soon as i get home

just had a mate come back from oz whos a bit of a subie whizkid and he took off the turbo for me to have a look, turns out the bearings and seals are all munted there was oil in it...hard to say whether it was cause the turbo i bought was a dud or the garage didnt put it back on without seeing what killed the last one so im in a bit of a quandry now, dont wanna go my local if it was the turbo but the dude who sold it to me swears it was in good nick before it was put on my car...grrrr...spare vf22 out there anyone? :(

pipdogg13 said:

just had a mate come back from oz whos a bit of a subie whizkid and he took off the turbo for me to have a look, turns out the bearings and seals are all munted there was oil in it...hard to say whether it was cause the turbo i bought was a dud or the garage didnt put it back on without seeing what killed the last one so im in a bit of a quandry now, dont wanna go my local if it was the turbo but the dude who sold it to me swears it was in good nick before it was put on my car...grrrr...spare vf22 out there anyone? :(

while the turbos off... stick the oil feed inside a plastic bottle... turn the car over and see if any oil comes out.

• 1 month later...

finally got my beast back on the road, got a family friend mechanic to do all the things suggested by you guys on here and pleased to say that it was one of the things you's said to look out for. the damn cat converter had a whole heap of filings in there that must've come from the old turbo, he cleared all that out of there and the thing is going great guns now, totally stoked about that. cheers for all your guys help on getting my car back on the road, really appreciate it.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
 funkytown said:

As my turbo has started to whine on start up and am looking at replaceing it, but don\'t want to have the replacement die as well, do the oil seals eventully die just from use or is there usually something that causes this. about 3000km ago car had a 200k service and came back with a new noise which seems like a pressure release at 3000rpm when letting off the gas but any higher or lower revs and it doesn\'t make this noise, is this a bad thing? was thinking this was some type of standard wastegate by its sound. any help would be awesome. its a 98gtb bg.