Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subaru WRX STI 2006

Hey guys,

This is my first post on the forums so please bare with me.

I am wanting to buy a WRX STI, preferably the 2006 shape / model.

Just wondering if anyone on here owns one and could tell me a bit about it? What's it like to drive, maintenance, how economical is it, full tank k's range etc etc...

A lot of my "car" friends have told me to steer clear from buying a subaru as they are apparently an arm and a leg to maintain but that hasn't put me off loving / wanting this car!

If you treat them right they don't cost much at all to maintain: in the 15 months I've owned my 2002 STi, aside from oil changes etc it's only cost me a park light bulb in repairs.

I believe ClubSub Mum and Hotspurz's one is a 2006 model, there's a couple on here but not too many

MercuryFree said:

If you treat them right they don't cost much at all to maintain: in the 15 months I've owned my 2002 STi, aside from oil changes etc it's only cost me a park light bulb in repairs.

I believe ClubSub Mum and Hotspurz's one is a 2006 model, there's a couple on here but not too many

Ah yeah - thanks for your response!

Hmmm I wonder why everyone is telling me to stay away then?

Filth']

[quote name='MercuryFree said:

/quote]

Because most people's experience with subarus is buying (or an acquaintence buying) a piece of crap one, bolting on a whole bunch of inappropriate modifications and then thrashing the shit out of it :D

MercuryFree']

[quote name='MercuryFree said:

/quote]

Because most people's experience with subarus is buying (or an acquaintence buying) a piece of crap one, bolting on a whole bunch of inappropriate modifications and then thrashing the s*** out of it :D

Haha yeah either that or the mods haven't been done properly either way - I hear ya and thanks for clearing that one up for me!

I would be using this as a "fun" car and a commuter so I won't be putting my foot down all the time but would like to be able to without worry it's going to break lol!

mac said:

::) they are probly a little one eyed. if you drive any car like you stole it all the time it will fail you. maintenance is the key to long life. ;D

Haha good call!

kwi_fozze said:

Good call. My forester is at 211k, no issues. If you warm it up and cool it down properly, run the right oil and treat it as it deserves (with respect) not chuck in a boost tap and "wind tha boost up au" it'll last for quite a while. Good luck!!

Haha! Love the south auckland impersonation! I won't be winding up any boost on it or anything... Will tint the windows, throw some nice rims, sounds and maybe an exhaust and that's it... Not going to be a heavy ricer or boy racer... f@#k that

If you want to know about the reliability of this model you are far better jumping on scoobynet as it is the main UK subie site and they have 100's of 2006 JDM owners on there. Most will say they are very reliable

Also its worth point out that in the US and the UK subaru is and has almost always been in the top 3 brands for reliability.

The main reason we have a different idea on them is that many young people in NZ buy them and dont maintain them or mod them poorly or expect that you can thrash them within an inch of their life and spend 0 on maintenance.

I would happily buy one but make sure you check its history for servicing and mods.

A 06 v10 STi is a good buy at the moment, prices hover around the $30k mark.

Lots of variants to choose from - standard, Spec C, S204, RA-R etc.

Be sure to check out NZ new vs JDM

And look for a car with a service history.

I'd take a good S204 or RA-R over a later model STI.

Yes, but not as big a premium as you would think.

Eg.

RA-R for less than $60k, probably get it for a lot less as this car has been on the market for ages.

The dodgy interior photos don't help.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/sti/auction-441084432.htm

A cheapish NZ new s204

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/s204/auction-496136829.htm