Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

essentials

Hi guys, just wondering about absolute essentials for a rebuild for RSK B4. I know I need pistons,rods but what about main bearings, head bolts etc. I'm not trying to build the fastest car ever, I just want something really, really strong so that when I give her some gas I don't have to worry about her blowing up. So after best/ strongest brands to buy. Thanks all :)

Have you maimed a piston/rod? I would just replace rings if theyre reusable.

Mains/Big ends I would do acl race if you want something a bit better than stock. Stock headbolts seem to handle fine but funky got some cheap arp studs so ask him if you have the folding.

I can price up and put you onto a cheap gen hook up i know for stuff i cant do...

What are your plans for the car so people can pass judgement on what would be best.

uuuummm, this is long term planning. I want to keep her twin turbo (don't hate on me for it, I like 2 lol :D ) I don't want a massive gain in power but a little more would be nice. At the end of the day she is a daily driver. Have already found forged pistons that I want, thinking about cosworth main bearing kit, cosworth rods, arp headbolts...

evowrx said:

Mains/Big ends I would do acl race if you want something a bit better than stock. Stock headbolts seem to handle fine but funky got some cheap arp studs so ask him if you have the folding.

I can price up and put you onto a cheap gen hook up i know for stuff i cant do...

What are your plans for the car so people can pass judgement on what would be best.

I would not use ACL to replace stock bearings, subaru stock bearings are better. All the engine builders I spoke to wouldn't use ACL. They all said stick to subaru bearings, in fact my builder point black refused to use them saying they were shit.

ballsrburning']

[quote name='evowrx said:

/quote]

I would not use ACL to replace stock bearings, subaru stock bearings are better. All the engine builders I spoke to wouldn't use ACL. They all said stick to subaru bearings, in fact my builder point black refused to use them saying they were s***.

Dwight recommended them too me for the engine I was planning on building to handle 250-300kw i told him...

evowrx']

I would not use ACL to replace stock bearings, subaru stock bearings are better. All the engine builders I spoke to wouldn't use ACL. They all said stick to subaru bearings, in fact my builder point black refused to use them saying they were s***.

Dwight recommended them too me for the engine I was planning on building to handle 250-300kw i told him...

I know a lot of people use them but I don't have any personal experience of them, I was just told to stick to the oem ones for my build. There have been members on here that used them and done a beb but the same can be said for the oem item too.

[quote name='B4 I was 250T said:

300kw would be a nice figure...not show stopping but ;)

Thats a lot of power for a street car, and pretty expensive to get too, unless you jsut whack a great big turbo on and crank up the boost, engine won't last long though.

To give you an idea of cost, I am north of 8k on my engine rebuild talking pretty much just the longblock. If you're thinking of doing everything to support big power, well lets just say double the previous amount isnt enough. I hven't finished and still spending, plus I got stuff for free (crank, dialling in cams, etc) and pay no labour.

There are loads of things you don't consider that add up.

If you get a V7 shortblock its cheap and reliable to 250kwish. tez n u ran 11.6 on one at 270kw and took him through to 2nd at drag wars...

My V8 shortblock/V7 sti pistons/V6 sti heads/rings/timing/headgaskets/headbolts/water pump etc owes me about $600-700 in new parts and a engine swap deal...I do work in parts though and engine work as a swap deal. Bearings were checked not replaced though but are only an additional 300 odd anyway and had heads sitting there.

Can put you onto someone if you need bits and cheap engine build similar spec?

Money better spent maybe newish low kms long block, spend money on making it safer / single turbo (just bung a complete sti motor in turbo and all?) - make more power on less boost with less to go wrong

Another thing to consider is with a B4 going for 5-8k these days you'll never, ever see this cash back on a rebuild... is it really worth it?

Hey man im in your postion at the moment, im currently building a a RS closed deck block to be as near indestructible as possible, looking at going a Brian Crower Ej22 stroker kit and some other pieces, im using the stud kit that comes with the stroker kit, and going a garrett GTx series turbo and some other pieces,

But like everyone has said money is the key factor in it all, ive spent close to 600 in just block prep and i havent even put a single bolt into the block yet

B4 I was 250T said:

Thanks man :) I'm not too worried about the costs, I'm just doing my saving for it lol :D But it's nice to know there are others like me lol. What do ya reckon about Cosworth stuff? See a bit of it on trademe lately aye

Cosworth stuff has a very good reputation, but it's expensive.

Was talking to Thorpy a while back about his rebuild. He mentioned buying some parts from the US and having them shipped here have ended up being cheaper than buying local. So it pays to shop around too.

If you give him a message, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to let you know about where he got them from and all that.