Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V6 and V7 wagons?

FST4RD

Hi all,

Been looking at upgrading the Legacy. I have been looking at v6 and v7 wagons, both sti and non sti.

Apart from the obvious visual differences mechanically is one better then the other? Especially the non sti ones.

I know the 6 speed is a good box.

I\'m only looking at near factory ones with reasonable k\'s.

My vote would be for a nice V7 Sti wagon. That way if you decide to do some mods, you can get the ECU reflashed to suit.

Also, with an Sti, you get the stronger engine and better components.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/imprezza/auction-523296956.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/impreza/auction-525658573.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/wrx/auction-524732577.htm

Trademe has quite a few options

lunchie said:

V7 STI wagon gets one of if not the most bullet proof engines subaru ever made. Also gets better brakes and a MUCH better gearbox.

Apart from looks they cant even be compared really.

fully agreed as above..

and with a retune they go very very well (ask some members with v7\'s for bang for buck on them ay)

newsuba said:

Better brakes ?

Only difference is 2-pot rears instead of STI v6\'s sliding calipers.

And don\'t forget a STI v7 weighs an extra 120kg.

"Slightly better brakes then"

Also consider that the extra 120kg gives the V7 chassis TWICE the rigidity of the v6.

I will say this though, if both a V6 and a V7 sti NEVER broke down then I would take the V6 based purely on its looks but cars do break down, especially when we mod them and the fact is the v7 sti block is a tough nut and so is the 6 speed.

Also consider you are comparing a 2star NCAP safety rating car with a 4star. Some of us have kids and girlfriends and for me as I get older the security and safety a car offers in an accident is important to me these days.

lunchie']

[quote name='newsuba said:

Better brakes ?

Only difference is 2-pot rears instead of STI v6\'s sliding calipers.

And don\'t forget a STI v7 weighs an extra 120kg.

/quote]

"Slightly better brakes then"

Also consider that the extra 120kg gives the V7 chassis TWICE the rigidity of the v6.

I will say this though, if both a V6 and a V7 sti NEVER broke down then I would take the V6 based purely on its looks but cars do break down, especially when we mod them and the fact is the v7 sti block is a tough nut and so is the 6 speed.

Also consider you are comparing a 2star NCAP safety rating car with a 4star. Some of us have kids and girlfriends and for me as I get older the security and safety a car offers in an accident is important to me these days.

I\'ve found the v7 to be a nicer ride too.

G-unit']

was there much of a change in the ej207 from the ver5,6 to the 7?

[quote name='B-MAGIC said:

v7 for speed/etc v6 for looks. case closed

/quote]

and in stock form is the 7 still quicker?

no real idea but not by the seat, always found my type r\'s have felt quicker even than my v8 sti, but in saying that v8 was standard type r\'s have been noisy lol

Type R is a fair bit better then a GF8 wagon tho lol - always feel awesome with the close ratio box etc helps the wow it pulls factor ;) . In reality they be pretty even from my experence. ( both stock - V5/6 STI wagon and a V7 STI wagon)

Stock a v7 sti makes around 160kw atw which is probably a little less than the v6sti.

The V7 sti engine along with the early v8 sti engines are known to be the two of the toughest engines subaru has ever made this side of the Spec C stuff. Put it this way, when people want to do a forged build on their early shape STI 9/10 times they start with a V7block. In stock form I have seen many, many, v7/8 sti engines hold over 260kw atw for a long time with no issues. I cant say the same for the older shape.

Consider though that the V7 was the first globally sold STI and the tune is known to be very conservative. A simple remap will take the car to an easy 175-180kw atw.

Fine as an STI v7 may be over a v6, I find the v6 to be much lighter on it\'s feet and to have more character than later cars.

Sure v7+ have many technical advantages but like another famous flat engined car, newer is not necessarily better.

Each generation seems to dilute those very qualities that made the brand special in the first place.

I\'d go for a v6 over a v7 except maybe an RA-Spec C or S202.

For me, character and drivability count more than NCrAP etc.

Update;

Stock v7 should put out more than 160kW atw ?

My stock v6 managed 177kW atw on a rolling road.

V8, not v7 was the first global STI.

;)

newsuba said:

Fine as an STI v7 may be over a v6, I find the v6 to be much lighter on it\'s feet and to have more character than later cars.

Sure v7+ have many technical advantages but like another famous flat engined car, newer is not necessarily better.

Each generation seems to dilute those very qualities that made the brand special in the first place.

I\'d go for a v6 over a v7 except maybe an RA-Spec C or S202.

For me, character and drivability count more than NCrAP etc.

Update;

Stock v7 should put out more than 160kW atw ?

My stock v6 managed 177kW atw on a rolling road.

V8, not v7 was the first global STI.

;)

Stock V7 sti\'s do put out a really low number, just look at the dyno graphs on torque performance or stm or simply google stock v7 sti.

Also you are right technically...... the v7 sti was sold everywhere EXCEPT the US where they only sold the WRX model until the V8. But I do encourage you to look at a stock v7 sti dyno, the graph is crazy all over the place.

I totally agree though, early shape sti\'s do have much more character.

I guess you have to decide which pros and cons matter the most.

If it was just a toy and I had the money to fix it I would get an early shape but if it was my daily driver and it had to be reliable and comfy and safe then the v7 would be the goer.

We should probably let the OP decide though lol

newsuba said:

All valid points.

;)

The big kicker is mint GC\'s are getting hard to find.

Much easier to find a really good condition GD.

;D

thats why ive kept my gc8 stock, will repaint front bumper early next year and try keep it mint