Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Economy on 200-250kw atw cars?

Well I got tuned by gary capper in the end made 227kw atw on 95. Happy with the performance but its pretty shit on gas compared to how it was untuned with vf23 on non sti setup@15psi and Ive been grannying it trying to get good economy passing in 5th/low revs/no boost. No wideband but running closed loop on standard narrowband he said it should be good on that. Im driving it so much quieter than before and warming it up I dont geddit? Is it just tuned mega safe or what? Still running stock 440s and he set up fpr also.

TLDR: On boost I expect it to be uneconomical just when Im cruising its hella uneconomical.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me wonder how the hell you guys are getting these apparently good economy rates. Our \'01 Blitzen 4EAT uses about 11-11.5l/100ks around town, on the open road from Methven to Dunners at about 110 (ish?) I get about 8.2l/100k\'s which for me is fine.

Curious to know what kinda fuel economy is to be expected from an SG9 Forester Sti, hoping to get one sometime next year.

My sti is sitting just under 200 (guestimated) and it drinks a bit more than my foz. I\'m getting used to driving it, my first tank lasted me less than 300 km, i\'m on my 4th tank and i\'m sitting at 200 on just over a third of a tank. It\'s about how it\'s driven... The more wheel time, the more you will find the sweet spot imho

Adjust your closed loop lean cruise, if you set the gain higher it will lean out quicker. if you raise the % it will lean out further. as theres no load on cruise you wont get det, i had mine cruising ag 15:1 @100km you can feel in get lean stumbles if you get too lean but it still wont detonate

Am I wrong in thinking it should be comparable economy just cruising to a v5/6 sti? Im not that confident to start tweaking stuff but will have a look see if I can get my head around it. Is only running narrowband though but he said that should be pretty good on closed loop loke it is.

Im a bit annoyed as Im travelling for work now so sunk money into it getting it up and running for tune that couldve bought a cheap daily. I figured it would be more economical tuned regardless as factory tunes rich anyway and Im driving so much more sedately.

Would a wideband be heaps better or not though?

I just hate lean cruise point for 100km/h, I always drive through them under 50km/h and feel the hesitations, thats why I went to a wideband, still haven\'t removed them completely, I need another retune with my new turbo first.

Just make sure you save the tune thats in the ECU first, then you can go back to it at any point

evowrx said:

Im a bit annoyed as Im travelling for work now so sunk money into it getting it up and running for tune that couldve bought a cheap daily. I figured it would be more economical tuned regardless as factory tunes rich anyway and Im driving so much more sedately.

Would a wideband be heaps better or not though?

but you\'ve also got 15-20% more power so your gonna use more fuel anyway. can you see from logging how lean your lean cruise is? you have to be pretty smooth on the gas pedal to keep it lean.

have you logged your AFR\'s while driving, if you raise the gain up it will make it leaner but you need to log it to see how much leaner it is.

my settings are much lower than yours but it leans out quite quickly, but as im running a wideband my settings will be different. my gain is only 2 and fuel trim 7%

Mine sits around 15:1 at 100km/h and 15.5:1 at 50km/h any leaner and it stumbles at 50km/h

I have a NGK afx that comes with a digital display mounted in my glovebox so I can see the AFR\'s all the time, as soon as you accelerate even a small amount it jumps to its normal richer point on the fuel map, even drive it for a bit with your laptop plugged in so you know how smooth you need to drive to stay in closed loop lamda

So got the logging to work its 14-14.5 afr target light driving/cruise. Goes fuel lockout on throttle off but says 14.5 afr target. Foot flat goes 12.2 afr target.

ECT sits higher than the limit 80deg most of the time when driving could it not be getting into closed loop? Is increasing/decreasing fuel as per trim though so must be working. Maybe just set rich?

• General Member
 kwi_fozze said:

My sti is sitting just under 200 (guestimated) and it drinks a bit more than my foz. I\'m getting used to driving it, my first tank lasted me less than 300 km, i\'m on my 4th tank and i\'m sitting at 200 on just over a third of a tank. It\'s about how it\'s driven... The more wheel time, the more you will find the sweet spot imho

Wow, I get 400-450 to a tank fairly easily running rich as hell on an STI ECU. I have even seen a 550 Tank before.

Johnnynz']

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

/quote]

Wow, I get 400-450 to a tank fairly easily running rich as hell on an STI ECU. I have even seen a 550 Tank before.

Driving style can play a massive, massive part in it. I had a 12 sec V6 VR4 way back when, I\'d get a consistent 500km plus to a tank when I drove like a normal person, at the same time a weekend of driving like dom toretto could literally halve that. Some folks just have a heavy foot without realising it.

To be fair cruising at 100kph the car is asking for maybe 10-15kW to maintain speed, doesn\'t matter if you make 50 or 500kW "in theory" the mileage shouldnt vary if driven at the same pace.

Johnnynz']

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

/quote]

I was getting 500-600 in this and forester stock. Both p2 v5/6 set up with td04. Not same ball park though.

• General Member

Lol ignore me I just looked at the title anyway, I\'m probably mid 180 KW Tops. Will report back after my tune in Feb.

Also as a baseline I got 600 KM before refil with maily open road driving with a v5 STI ECU just in the last 48 Hours.