Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

FMIC fan?

soopersubaru']

[quote name='soopersubaru said:

the fan idea will not work!...........Stupid at best!

/quote]

Have you noticed whats happened over the last few days?

I started a thread about a WAIC and proper discussion followed

You continue to bomb peoples threads with how awesome they are and everyone gets angry towards you.

Prehaps its the way your delivery thats not working.

Please stop abusing people for not liking your idea, I can see were gonna end up with another locked thread from abusive argurments.

p.s im not having a go at you, just saying

Point noted..... However as i was attacked first in this post.... I simply responded..

I Have also pointed out why this idea of a fan is ridiculous....AAIC does have issues for the stop start application. Both in TMIC and FMIC configuration due to their low heat sink ability. Either "fanned" or not.

Therefore another type of IC with a high heatsink ability is required.......This other IC has the ability to cope with stop/start...Further it does well at cruise speeds and above......Which therefore suits the road car application. (no more comment from me!)

If my reply was an attack Im glad you didnt fight in WWII.

I REALLY REALLY dont want to say this but coz Im the originator Ill allow myself. Wouldnt waic heat up when you sit still it depends on air flowing through the heat exchanger to cool it down or do you run a fan behind it like a radiator as its really the same thing after all...and once the water gets hot it takes longer to cool back down.WAIC is great for drags but dont most people run ice boxes? I mean the WAIC only runs as cool as the water is. I have no real experience but seems that the way people get around it heating up is to add more and more water. Some prick in US had an awesome set up worked brilliantly but had 5gall in the end and thats a helluva lot of water.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea but because it stays colder longer it also stays hotter longer so in a theoretical world if you sat in traffic light after light in a city situation wouldnt it heat up? Unless you had airflow to cool it like my point in this thread? Not bein a dick just would like to know.

fans on some top mounts make a difference but they are really only fixing a problem that shoudltn exist

there is no way to get one on a subaru . but on a gtt caldina that are def worth doing

spraying cool water on a warm top mount will do something bout i doubt youd notice from the seat of your pants . if you logged the temps yes it would cool the core down faster .

fuck you lot needa get a life

fan on a front mount = fail . it is surrounded by ambient temp air . adding MORE ambient temp air isnt going to achieve anything is it ?

I reckon I should patent chill pills... :P

Its not about racing from light to light Im just a curious person if I dont understand it or dont know if it will work I like to find out its how winners learn. Id rather try and fail than fail to try. ;)

evowrx said:

Its not about racing from light to light Im just a curious person if I dont understand it or dont know if it will work I like to find out its how winners learn. Id rather try and fail than fail to try. ;)

Well winner, stop talking and try it out. I\'d love to hear your results. :)

loner']

[quote name='evowrx said:

/quote]

Well winner, stop talking and try it out. I\'d love to hear your results. :)

Lovely smile chap. Gonna move plate first see what that does for intake temps this was just seeing if anyone had any real world testing on a random thought lol. Maybe I shouldve said research and try then fail rather than fail to research and try even though I couldnt give a fuck it was purely for interests sake. :D

But really this has been good even if only for teh lulz.

It\'s simply a posting spike: evowrx must have time off work. :)) but it\'s these questions and conversations within threads which spike ideas which can be used to help many more than onesself benefit from them. A little tolerance goes a long way. :P

Someones on school holidays :o Im at work just a bit of casual excitement during the day coz I dont do lunch.

See a lot of smart people viewing threads they could help on but dont post. Wish I was smart like them so I could actually put something back into the forum.

loner said:

You traffic light racing dicks should just live with the heat soak and get a life.... or a v8... or just use your cars for racing where there aren\'t no traffic lights.

No one said its about racing from light to lights.

But it is a pertinent point particularly in summer if you want to give it some jandal when the road opens up after being in slow moving traffic or stationary for a while.

Giving it jandal with hot intake temps due to heat soak will have an increased chance of det.

If a squirt of water or an IC fan will mitigate this in any way then its worthwhile - as is the discussion

Stoffa said:

but water works 4 times better than air at transferring heat, so if your resivour is big enough and exchanger is effecient enough it will always work well.

PRO\'s and CON\'s for any intercooler setup though.

Mr EVOWRX.....As you have asked. As above commented by STOFFA.

The reason that a WAIC performs better than a AAIC on the occasion of full boost at a standstill is:- The heatsink ability of water witihin the intercooler is greater due to its mass being more than that of a AAIC. Usually made of aluminium.

The boost duration is critical at this time!....As the speed of air increases through the AAIC cooling of its mass occurs.....If we say the following occurs (theory)

Boost is maintained for a period of 60 seconds to the point where no effective cooling is occuring as the intercooler has become heatsunk. 60 seconds is a long time to maintain boost!

If the same test is done on a WAIC boost could be maintained untill the entire system is "heatsunk". Depending on the volume. Therefore this period can be easily longer than 60 seconds due to the increased mass of the system.

Mr TURBOSMART The Yank you refer to has a 5 gallon system. Lots of weight i agree!

Have you read this though. http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,18866.msg263039.html#msg263039

This system has less mass.

There is plenty of off boost time in the ordinary road car for system recovery.

The benefit is:= During short duration high boost (take off)(overtaking) the WAIC maintains lower IAT than an AAIC would in the same situation.

Has that helped?

The FMIC is terrific at long duration hi speed boost cooling. With less weight than a WAIC system

Stoffa said:

FYI I just did some logging with my temporary turbo and intake temps on my FMIC were 30 degrees (10 above ambient) but didnt really move with some 4th gear pulls

Yes! they work well at speed.....My cooler stays at 6-8 above ambient.... NO im not looking to argue!

One could say they are both FMIC systems.... Just one has more mass/weight...Which is advantageous at lower speeds.....Providing higher speeds are achieved AND no boost time is allowed for recovery.

lol i really love how everyone pull sout the old "water has 14 times the heat transfer of air" . lol but noone ever mentions the 5 stages of heat transfer and the fact they are all very in effiecint due to minimal temp difference across them all

need some pop corn for this thread now .

the supercooler isnt up to fuck all anyway . if he achieved any less with a milion dollars of supplies and WMI then itd be laughable .

hed prolly get similar results with the tmic with WMI and saved himself 4 figures of pipes and fittings and 50 kg

Stoffa said:

FYI I just did some logging with my temporary turbo and intake temps on my FMIC were 30 degrees (10 above ambient) but didnt really move with some 4th gear pulls

I havent done logging from a standstill as such but warmed car up went for a drive to the country maybe 5km stopped up and played with launch controlwith car idling for few minutes. Sat at 20deg on G4 log then 23deg on a pull.

lachlan said:

lol i really love how everyone pull sout the old "water has 14 times the heat transfer of air" . lol but noone ever mentions the 5 stages of heat transfer and the fact they are all very in effiecint due to minimal temp difference across them all

need some pop corn for this thread now .

the supercooler isnt up to bother all anyway . if he achieved any less with a milion dollars of supplies and WMI then itd be laughable .

hed prolly get similar results with the tmic with WMI and saved himself 4 figures of pipes and fittings and 50 kg

WTF?....Some people just ask to be trashed...............Where do you get 50Kg from?

The idea behind my idea was to get effective turbo cooling for my 250Kw unit AND also hide it....My vehicle is a sleepa......Does not even have or need a bonnet vent......PYHI !

refering to supercooler was the big thread from overseas . in the supercooler thread ?

is that what you are on about ? .

his holds 5 gallons in the tank . thats 20 kg . plus the tank , pump . water in the lines . water in the cooler . water in the front heat exchanger . the front exchanger itself . bet if all that carp was on the scaled and you add 30 litres of water you not going to get much change from 50 kg

possible his is up tp 50kg...This one is not. http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,18866.msg350552.html#msg350552..

It maybe 7-8 kg more than a FMIC No more.... Just remember ....Fitting a FMIC adds weight .... Unless you had a WAIC prior.....Then its about the same......Overall my system (soopercooler) may add around 5 kg to overall weight.