Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Better speakers? or amp needed?

stira

So the factory car stereo system I had in my Audi was pretty good for a standard system, and im missing the quality of it a bit in my type r.

I just fitted a JVC KD-r736bt that my better half gave me for my birthday and its got front six inch speakers (not sure on make) and sony xplod 300w 6x9s at the rear.

Theres seems to be a complete lack of base compared to my audi concert system, and you have to crank the nuts off it to get any sort of decent sound, no good when the kids are in the car ;)

What am I missing, amp or something else? no im not keen on filling the boot up with a sub and doof doofing around the streets ;D Just after some quality sound.

All help much appreciated

Quality factory systems are good for a reason - the speakers and setup are tailored for the cabin volume etc.

First thing I\'d do is tinker with the Equaliser settings and see if you can perhaps bump up mid bass and treble to sort. If you can get two presets -one for kids time and one for cranking time - then this should be right.

Failing that even a cheapo amp should work wonders.

P.S having a sub doesn\'t mean you go around doof doofing it up. Have a look at a 10 inch sub as a more subtle solution

• Admin

The Audis often have a little 6, 8 or 6x9 bass woofer hidden away in the rear panels. You\'d be surprised how good the bass from a little woofer in a good box is.

An amp probably isn\'t going to help you a whole lot at this stage.

Was gonna say the same, a small amp can make a massive difference - I just picked up a pair of those sony 222w 2ch amps (they sell for nothing) in one of my wagons and ran one each for front & rear, made enough of a difference I didn\'t even need the sub turned on for it to sound quite decent. Without them it just sounded like normal tinny car stereo, and it was decent splits in both doors too

Keep meaning to do it with the current one cause without my sub turned on it sounds mud (once you include road noise & suby exhaust into the mix)

Trends Car Audio & Alarms - Mattapo said:

alot of the audi\'s have pretty bassy systems, however just the rear speakers on the m are amped, fitting some descent amped 6\'s or descent 6x9\'s amped will make a massive difference

So the 6x9s I have are poo?

A lot of higher end cars have the speakers sealed or in a ported enclosure to get the best sound from them. Unfortunately Subaru didn\'t build their cars for SQ setups - most of their speakers are run \'free air\' (unenclosed) so a lot of the sound is lost through vibrations in panels and air gaps; this is what usually causes the \'tinny\' sound. Many crank the EQ or bass to compensate - but all this does is cause distortion at higher volumes.

Ffitting Dynamat (or similar) against the metal surface behind the speakers and also on the metal panels behind the door skin does help to improve the mid-bass response of the speakers.

I have done this in one of my cars and not the other - you can hear a diffence.

• 2 months later...

Yep as Spark said, sound deadening makes a huge difference, I\'d say first get a 4ch amp with decent power at least a true 50w rms+ per ch, deaden the doors then look at tuning, if in the budget an after market processor will work wonders. And if your going for sound quality, forget the 6x9\'s in the rear concentrate on really good 6.5" set for front then amp them, and run the rears off headunit and give it a good tune, tuning imo is the most important part. Average speakers can sound OK with good tune, but great speakers can easily sound s*** with a bad one.

The 6.5" Jbl Ms 62c fronts that i installed a while back put out enough bass to keep most happy if you really dont want a sub, I thoroughly recommend them, but they are a US (eBay) import only though at this point.