Went for a drive in an Evo 7

Stoffa

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

newsuba']

[quote name='unknown said:

Iv driven evo8 and they are boring slow... Just doesn\'t have the pull that a Subaru has,

/quote]

an illusion due to most evos having a more linear power delivery and more pedestrian sound than equivalent sti\'s.

;D

yes wider torque band, but to be honest evo 7/8/9 and sti 7/8/9 are pretty well matched when it comes to JDM on JDM models, most of the best motoring reveiws of the time showed the RA or Spec C having a VERY slight edge over the evo RS or MR\'s and the evo GSR being slightly faster than the normal sti. Evo 5 and 6 shit on the last of the gc8s

i used to smoke by brothe rin laws e4 with my v3 sti (both were stock at the time tho)

and then later when he had a e6.5 i still got the better of him in my v7stra

lol he gave up and bought a v7 after that

but then again once u have a few mods on them the evos generally go better than similarily modded sti and tbh almost all u buy these days are modded so the stock for stock comparo is only a moot point

ovr4u said:

i sold my evo 6 to get a v6 sti and the sti has alot more torque now my wife drives it and i drive another mitsi :)

I had an evo 6 for 6 months, tough car to live with. Ideal if you drive it on nice roads on a sunday afternoon, horrible around town, long trips just as bad, guzzles gas, expensive AYC servicing... car handles amazingly and as someone else mentioned, alot smoother power delivery, but overall it\'s not the same amount of car in comparison to the equivalent year STi. Evo is a much more focused car where the STi is a little more broad and ticks more boxes

nice condition evo 7 18-20k stock

nice condition v7 sti 12-14k stock

reason for difference stock vs stock evo7 more powerful and handles better than v7sti

sti + 3k spent on engine and handling mods = still less than stock evo 7

v7sti with 3k spent on it = spank the evo7 HARD...... thats the way I see it anyway. If you set money aside from it tho then its a completely different story.

lunchie said:

nice condition evo 7 18-20k stock

nice condition v7 sti 12-14k stock

reason for difference stock vs stock evo7 more powerful and handles better than v7sti

sti + 3k spent on engine and handling mods = still less than stock evo 7

v7sti with 3k spent on it = spank the evo7 HARD...... thats the way I see it anyway. If you set money aside from it tho then its a completely different story.

My point of view also.

Just buy this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mitsubishi/auction-572949796.htm

I had a friendly, i wont call it a race..but \'go\' years ago with my old v4 ra (slightly modded) vs a tommi mac. It kicked my rs..excuse the pun.

It was quick.

Id buy a tommi mac but i just think the subbies have something more than the mitsis.

My brother had an Evo 6.5 TME, nice car to drive, just intake and exhaust and STM tuned to 215kw atw if I remember right, and my V5 Sti RA with just a 2.5in exhaust was dead even with it 0-130ish. After driving it I felt it was a much smoother in power delivery, but the Sti RA felt alot more peppy and snappy to drive. Also dont like the gearshift feel of most Evos, reminds me of a 90s Hyundai at times !

Cant comment on V7 and up vs Evo 7 and up, I reckon V8/9 look better then the E7/8 though, and have a nicer interior - Evo ones look plain and boring apart from the nice Recaros the only upside over the Sti.

dimin said:

My brother had an Evo 6.5 TME, nice car to drive, just intake and exhaust and STM tuned to 215kw atw if I remember right, and my V5 Sti RA with just a 2.5in exhaust was dead even with it 0-130ish. After driving it I felt it was a much smoother in power delivery, but the Sti RA felt alot more peppy and snappy to drive. Also dont like the gearshift feel of most Evos, reminds me of a 90s Hyundai at times !

Cant comment on V7 and up vs Evo 7 and up, I reckon V8/9 look better then the E7/8 though, and have a nicer interior - Evo ones look plain and boring apart from the nice Recaros the only upside over the Sti.

Yeah I don\'t like their interiors either on the later evos, the dash setup doesn\'t look right to me at all.I\'d have a ver8/9 STi any day.

ben-jamminn']

[quote name='ovr4u said:

i sold my evo 6 to get a v6 sti and the sti has alot more torque now my wife drives it and i drive another mitsi :)

/quote]

I had an evo 6 for 6 months, tough car to live with. Ideal if you drive it on nice roads on a sunday afternoon, horrible around town, long trips just as bad, guzzles gas, expensive AYC servicing... car handles amazingly and as someone else mentioned, alot smoother power delivery, but overall it\'s not the same amount of car in comparison to the equivalent year STi. Evo is a much more focused car where the STi is a little more broad and ticks more boxes

this is a pretty good summary, Evos in general are much more track/ abuse ready and are very corse in some areas

B-MAGIC']

[quote name='unknown said:

Iv driven evo8 and they are boring slow... Just doesn\'t have the pull that a Subaru has,

/quote]

an illusion due to most evos having a more linear power delivery and more pedestrian sound than equivalent sti\'s.

;D

Evo 5 and 6 s*** on the last of the gc8s

no way! i smoked a evo 6 with my old gc8 sti

tests carried out at the time would say otherwise, theres much more to performance than a one time street drag race

Only like the look of the evo 8\'s myself, haven\'t driven either subaru or evo in this year/price bracket though. If I was to be buying one i\'d be looking at v7/8 sti\'s though, I just love the noises they make :P does that make me a ricer?

subaru also wins at performance in relation to cost.

Hey my v3 sti owes me 7k for a 13.4 second pass, it\'s not stupid fast but for 7k you could do worse, my pulsar owed me 15-20k and managed a 14.9.

Roo said:

Only like the look of the evo 8\'s myself, haven\'t driven either subaru or evo in this year/price bracket though. If I was to be buying one i\'d be looking at v7/8 sti\'s though, I just love the noises they make :P does that make me a ricer?

subaru also wins at performance in relation to cost.

Hey my v3 sti owes me 7k for a 13.4 second pass, it\'s not stupid fast but for 7k you could do worse, my pulsar owed me 15-20k and managed a 14.9.

Big call to make, best i managed was a bogged launch 13.0 from a v6 vr4 i bought for $1800 ;)

this is like a holden/ford or apple/android... or rugby/league debate or something, people will just pick whatever arbitrary pros and cons fit their side of the fence and run with it

the interior on either car is rubbish compared to most euros of similar vintage anyway so its a bit of a moot point, and half the sub/evo owners then rice them up with gauges & sh1t anyway

for every "i sh@t on an evo blah in my sti whatever" theres another guy with the opposite argument on some mitsi forum, realistically the cars are so closely related theyre cousins - and hard to argue about evos being stiff riding when most sti purchasers will then go on to stick some savage coilovers in them anyway

Marky said:
Big call to make, best i managed was a bogged launch 13.0 from a v6 vr4 i bought for $1800 ;)

this is like a holden/ford or apple/android... or rugby/league debate or something, people will just pick whatever arbitrary pros and cons fit their side of the fence and run with it

the interior on either car is rubbish compared to most euros of similar vintage anyway so its a bit of a moot point, and half the sub/evo owners then rice them up with gauges & sh1t anyway

for every "i sh@t on an evo blah in my sti whatever" theres another guy with the opposite argument on some mitsi forum, realistically the cars are so closely related theyre cousins - and hard to argue about evos being stiff riding when most sti purchasers will then go on to stick some savage coilovers in them anyway

You\'re very right for each sti there\'s a better evo, and for every evo there\'s a better sti.

I also find it hard saying a cars good after working in the auto trade, end of the day everything is a heap of shit.

I think the 4g63 engine is a lot more robust than the ej20, easier to get power from for cheaper by what I have read in the magazines and online. Don\'t have any personal experience of modding them though. I dont dislike evos but i just prefer the styling on the subaru.

In saying that i always said I would never own an impreza but there you are, I do now after driving one. Never driven an evo.