Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Went for a drive in an Evo 7

Stoffa

Roo']

[quote name='Marky said:

Big call to make, best i managed was a bogged launch 13.0 from a v6 vr4 i bought for $1800 ;)

this is like a holden/ford or apple/android... or rugby/league debate or something, people will just pick whatever arbitrary pros and cons fit their side of the fence and run with it

the interior on either car is rubbish compared to most euros of similar vintage anyway so its a bit of a moot point, and half the sub/evo owners then rice them up with gauges & sh1t anyway

for every "i sh@t on an evo blah in my sti whatever" theres another guy with the opposite argument on some mitsi forum, realistically the cars are so closely related theyre cousins - and hard to argue about evos being stiff riding when most sti purchasers will then go on to stick some savage coilovers in them anyway

/quote]

You\'re very right for each sti there\'s a better evo, and for every evo there\'s a better sti.

I also find it hard saying a cars good after working in the auto trade, end of the day everything is a heap of s***.

You win 1x Interwebs.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ballsrburning said:

I think the 4g63 engine is a lot more robust than the ej20, easier to get power from for cheaper by what I have read in the magazines and online. Don\'t have any personal experience of modding them though. I dont dislike evos but i just prefer the styling on the subaru.

In saying that i always said I would never own an impreza but there you are, I do now after driving one. Never driven an evo.

yeah that part can\'t be argued evo engines are generally more robust than sti engines. one exception is the evo 4 engine, been told these are not great.

lunchie']

[quote name='ballsrburning said:

I think the 4g63 engine is a lot more robust than the ej20, easier to get power from for cheaper by what I have read in the magazines and online. Don\'t have any personal experience of modding them though. I dont dislike evos but i just prefer the styling on the subaru.

In saying that i always said I would never own an impreza but there you are, I do now after driving one. Never driven an evo.

/quote]

yeah that part can\'t be argued evo engines are generally more robust than sti engines. one exception is the evo 4 engine, been told these are not great.

Cast iron blocks up until the new design 4B11.

And one head with 10 head studs for clamp. As opposed to two small heads with 6.

lunchie']

/quote]

evo 4 engine\'s are actually stronger than evo 3 engines, the only reason they get a bad rep is thatt having a larger factory turbo when the boost gets turned up to much by cowboys they dont last as long as a older engine, also the crank trust bearing wear issue is there in the evo 1 2 3

EJ20T']

/quote]

evo 4 engine\'s are actually stronger than evo 3 engines, the only reason they get a bad rep is thatt having a larger factory turbo when the boost gets turned up to much by cowboys they dont last as long as a older engine, also the crank trust bearing wear issue is there in the evo 1 2 3

STM disagrees with you, they did an issue on the evo engines recently in the PC mag and I doubt there is anyone in NZ that knows those engines more than Andre, I can\'t remember the exact issue but I believe there was some issue that when you pushed the evo4 engine towards 250-300kw it had some inherent weakness.

I am not saying you are WRONG just saying there is ANOTHER opinion out there from a respected source :)

lunchie']

/quote]

STM disagrees with you, they did an issue on the evo engines recently in the PC mag and I doubt there is anyone in NZ that knows those engines more than Andre, I can\'t remember the exact issue but I believe there was some issue that when you pushed the evo4 engine towards 250-300kw it had some inherent weakness.

I am not saying you are WRONG just saying there is ANOTHER opinion out there from a respected source :)

Half that article wasnt written by him imo.

The article quotes (yes I am sad I have them all), "we see occasional crank walk issues in version 1-3, but it is a much bigger problem in the evo 4".

crank walk is the thrust bearings failing and the crank can then move backwards and fowards in the block. Seems like your best to stick to version 5 up.

I spent 5 years at a mitsubishi dealer as a workshop team leader so I know a thing or two about 4g63, the primary issue with the crank walking is that evo 4 on are fitted with heavier clutch than earlier cars, then when worn get even heavier clutches fitted putting more stress on the bearings add that they switched to pull release thats slightly sprung loaded to keep the bearing clip coming loose

My boss has an Evo X. Awesome looking car externally, and it goes like the clappers. Completely standard so exhaust sounds bleh and the interior is shockingly sparse and dull. The seats are wicked though.

His is NZ New and proper manual. Same interior as this one,

254945881.jpg

newsuba said:

Looks stock.

Evo X is nice but sucks that the manual gearbox is only a 5-speeder.

Those early X\'s with the BBS wheels, compound brakes and offset front number plate were the duck\'s nuts.

My understanding is unlike subaru the evo 5 speed is MUCH stronger than the evo 6 speed.

I saw an EVO X FQ 360 give it some stick the other day, sounded like a turbo honda but went like a turbo porsche, full leather interior looked dam nice too at the next set of lights..... probably one of the best things you can buy for the money however...... I want one of these!!!

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1083180_2015-audi-s3-sedan-revealed

Seems more of an evo or sti alternative than m3 rival.

• Admin

I did a big audio install on an Evo X promo car a few years ago and was shocked by how cheap the whole car felt. The interior plastics (and the wing for that matter) felt like they were made of icecream containers.

newsuba said:

Looks stock.

Evo X is nice but sucks that the manual gearbox is only a 5-speeder.

Those early X\'s with the BBS wheels, compound brakes and offset front number plate were the duck\'s nuts.

those early cars were fully jap specd gsr\'s with the performance pack, and the 5 speed was used becuase of the reduced box size vs 6 speed with the same gear width. I was one of the first people to drive them in Nz was quite a buzz for me back then