Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BOV does it really work?

No, more likely dependant on the type of surge. Theres a couple different reaction types. One worse than the others.

Flutterdump = bov not reacting quite fast enough or not enough pressure to activate bov

off throttle surge = not so bad

high rpm off throttle surge = about where you loose compressor wheel nuts

high rpm surge at full throttle while still on the throttle = turbo death is immient

surging while still on the throttle is massivly bad. Ill try find that vid too.

Swindog said:

No, more likely dependant on the type of surge. Theres a couple different reaction types. One worse than the others.

Flutterdump = bov not reacting quite fast enough or not enough pressure to activate bov

off throttle surge = not so bad

high rpm off throttle surge = about where you loose compressor wheel nuts

high rpm surge at full throttle while still on the throttle = turbo death is immient

surging while still on the throttle is massivly bad. Ill try find that vid too.

On throttle compressor surge hey? I think this is the vid you might be trying to find:

Andrew NR said:

A vent to atmo BOV will cause a car using a MAF (mass air flow) sensor (like Subarus) run rich when off the accelerator. This can be fixed by fitting a MAP (mass air pressure) sensor. No worries maaaaate :D

Off throttle? WTF is that???????

A BOV is mandatory, simply to scare old ladies, dogs and small children.

If your new BOV does not do the above then I suggest you return it as faulty, as bitch-slap yourself as a disgrace to the boy racer community.

All of the above is jest.

However on a serious note, I have a HKS SSQ and find its quality very good. Its not overly loud at low rpm(im not going around psshhhing like a tool at 2500rpm) but when shiz gets serious and the rpm rises it sounds gravy.

Rossmnz']

[quote name='Andrew NR said:

A vent to atmo BOV will cause a car using a MAF (mass air flow) sensor (like Subarus) run rich when off the accelerator. This can be fixed by fitting a MAP (mass air pressure) sensor. No worries maaaaate :D

/quote]

If your new BOV does not do the above then I suggest you return it as faulty, as bitch-slap yourself as a disgrace to the boy racer community.

However on a serious note, I have a HKS SSQ and find its quality very good. Its not overly loud at low rpm(im not going around psshhhing like a tool at 2500rpm) but when shiz gets serious and the rpm rises it sounds gravy.

Rossmnz']

[quote name='Andrew NR said:

/quote]

Off throttle is when you come OFF the throttle to change gear mate. Just as you release the throttle the pressure obviously needs to vent so therefore becomes off throttle surge.

I was getting this type with the spring in the new tial.. would surge then release on the bov.

yes bovs work

most turbo cars have a standard bov anyway, which vents back into the intake, so you dont hear it

when you upgrade your bov it will make no difference in performance if its a plumb back (plumbs air back into the intake as per standard) you may get a slight? performance increase

if you upgrade your bov to and external vernted bov, the car will run rich when changing gears and decelerating, also idleing can take awhile to stabilize after revving the engine, because the air flow meter cannot measure the missing air as the bov re-entry point on the air intake is AFTER the AFM, (the part where the bov vents it excess air back into the air intake) therefore making your car run richer, less air doesnt mean more fuel, the car is putting in the exact same amount of fuel into your engine, its just not getting all the air that the afm has detected in the air intake.

btw, i sold my legacy, i almost cried when i saw the guy driving it away, fuck that thing looked sexy, am pretty gutted now, went from a 15psi subaru legacy to a 2.6l mercedes nana car :( , o well my new rims arrive in a few days :P

Hi SubaruHo,

Just a little info for you re BOV's.

The Suby's have a fairly sensitve Air Flow Meter so if you are going to use an aftermarket BOV it is important to keep some air flowing down that path (as the factory one does) if you don't & you use a 100% atmo BOV you'll get over fueling due to the air/fuel ratio being out of sync.

GFB make a range of model specific BOV's & they make one for your car. It's the GT Hybrid (Bolt On) it is designed to directly replace the factory BOV & comes with the hardware to use it as a 100% plumback or 50/50 setup or if you were off to the drag strip you could use the 100% atmo setup & change it back to 50/50 with just screwdriver.

Here is a link to the BOV & to a page from the GFB website titled "All you ever needed to know about… BOV's" hope this helps & PM if you're interested in purchasing of these BOV's.

http://www.gofastbits.co.nz/index.php?parentid=products&option=products&sub_option=bovs&sub_sub_option=gt_hybrid

http://www.gofastbits.co.nz/index.php?parentid=tech_info&option=tech_info

Brendon

[Cheers Mate most helpful thing I've seen so far]

do the stock bovs have 2 be plumbed back in? as my 91 rs has a racepro bov and hardly opens up and vent loud as i think the spring is to hard and i wana go back 2 stock as i dont wana but new bov but my small pipe that is usually on the intake side has been cut off, so will a stock bov stil work without been plumbed back?

G-unit said:

do the stock bovs have 2 be plumbed back in? as my 91 rs has a racepro bov and hardly opens up and vent loud as i think the spring is to hard and i wana go back 2 stock as i dont wana but new bov but my small pipe that is usually on the intake side has been cut off, so will a stock bov stil work without been plumbed back?

They don't have to be plumbed back, it will work if you vent the standard plumback to atmosphere.

Guest keltik
 BC5RA said:

They don't have to be plumbed back, it will work if you vent the standard plumback to atmosphere.

But will leak chronicly at half throttle settings. Or at least thats what i found in my old GT.

Fitted a BOV to my Legacy....didnt do much. I think i got ripped

Omegah said:

when i vented my factory bov to atmo the car wanted to stall all the time

Thats because they are open at idle and those who are using the factory ECU (i.e. still on an AFM) will have issues as the air that is supposed to be inside your engine is now back in your engine bay instead. Thats why you need an adjustable BOV so that you can wind it in so that it is closed at idle.