Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Looking at buying a Version 8... (advice/opinions pls)

I have been lurking on here for a while- had nothing to post since I sold my \'99 RSK. Anyway, I\'m almost completed my rampant savings plan and looking at getting a V8 STi.

ScreenShot2013-03-30at35433PM_zpsfc160c6

I found this last night and gave him an email: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/wrx/auction-577346940.htm

BTW: Auction says cat-back, but in email he said it\'s only the muffler. So I think he may be a tad mistaken there.

I dont have much receipt of service cuz my roomate is mechanic who study in Unitec. We change all the things like engine oil, boost gauge and BLow Off all by ourselves

From what I gather, it sounds like the car hasn\'t been to a (proper) garage for a service in some time (I sent him another email just now to clarify that..)

Am I the only one that is raaaaather hesitant about that?

Additionally, he tells me that it hasn\'t had its 100k service yet - so that\'s going to be an expense on me in the not-too-distant future.

Total noob question: What is the average price I could be expecting to pay for a 100k service?

So yeah, generally after some advice/guidance/thoughts/feedback. As we all know, knowledge is power; especially when buying cars. Knowledge is the difference between a $21k car and a $18k car. Feel free to suggest other V8s :)

PS. Super stoked that this car comes with the spotlight covers ::)

First off, well done for saving haha i dont think i could manage that lol

I wouldnt worry to much about the servicing, as long as he has used quality engine oil of the right grade (ie: not red stamp 20w-50) and filters at the right intervals it should be fine.

A 100k service (at the dealer) consists of

-Cambelt and water pump with all tensioners etc.

-Coolant

-Engine oil and Filter

-Gearbox and diff oil

-Air filter

-Sparkplugs (model dependent but a safe bet they\'ll need doing)

-Cabin pollen filter

-Random other stuff like tyre rotations etc.

All up your probably looking at $1500ish (as a very approximate guess will be different were ever you go) and of course probably close to double that at the dealer haha

^ agreed !

Big caveat emptor given that reply about service receipts.

Don\'t get sucked in by the first car you look at.

Take your time and look at at least 2-3.

When you find one you like, take it to your local Subaru independent for a pre-purchase check.

tebbyj']

First off, well done for saving haha i dont think i could manage that lol

[...]

All up your probably looking at $1500ish (as a very approximate guess will be different were ever you go) and of course probably close to double that at the dealer haha

Haha, cheers re. the savings. I have always been a cash buyer- it just makes buying things easier/less stressful.

Thanks for the info, will bear that in mind if/when it comes to haggling ;D

Judging by the grammar and spelling (cuz), I\'d be a bit hesitent. I know I\'m stereotyping but sounds like boyracer talk to me.

Personally I would rather a standard one with a service history and go from there.

As far as I can tell, he just has poor english. I did my own vetting on Facebook and he just seems like your average Chinese guy. I don\'t know whether posting Facebook links on here is kosher, so I won\'t post it here unless you guys want to see for yourselves.

Not to be racist/stereotyping/whatever, he seems like the guy that owns a fast/loud car and just drives it slowly around town. Generally you\'ll see these sorts of guys in Hondas........ with body kits....... etc.

But anyway, that\'s just my small insight as to whether it has been thrashed or not. I know exactly what you mean though, as soon as I saw the grammar my boy racer alert went off.

[quote name='newsuba said:

Don\'t get sucked in by the first car you look at.

Take your time and look at at least 2-3.

When you find one you like, take it to your local Subaru independent for a pre-purchase check.

Hence I\'m on here asking for your guys\' opinions and advice ;D

Guest hate-evoz

Yes this car is a nice unmolested example

and yeah thats typical broken english not the boyracer lingo but sounds more to me like what op has said above (no offence to anyone) - i say buy it but cut him down to help with 100km service exspenses.

optmspotts said:

Latest reply:

yeah we bought and changed the engine oil 10w40 HKS

Is this a favourable response? Not exactly an oil expert :P

10w-40 is the correct weight, i don\'t know how good HKS oil is but they are pretty well known and you do pay a premium for it so i would say its pretty good.

To me it looks pretty good TBH but i wouldn\'t pay that price maybe around 18-19 mark. But then i never pay what cars actually worth.

tebbyj said:

10w-40 is the correct weight, i don\'t know how good HKS oil is but they are pretty well known and you do pay a premium for it so i would say its pretty good.

To me it looks pretty good TBH but i wouldn\'t pay that price maybe around 18-19 mark. But then i never pay what cars actually worth.

Ah cheers for the info.

I was always planning on spending about 18k on the car and having 4k over for day-one upgrades: turbo-back, dyno tune, short ram, potentially new alarm, etc as well as reserve $$.

Armed with the info that a 100k service is going to set me back ~1.5k I will have to do some deep thinking to work out a reasonable offer 8)

yeah none of my vehicles have ever been to a "proper service centre"

+ 1 for genuine guy with japlish talk .

they want blow off valve and big muffler so they buy ones that bolt on and then bolt them on and thats bout as far as it gets

Yeah I agree, doesn\'t sound like boyracer just not great english, bare in mind tho that 21k is TOP dollar for a v8 so without service history I would try and beat him down on price a bit to around 18-19k, just my 2c.

Others may disagree but 21k gets you into a v9 so for a v8 I would expect it to be immaculate.

newsuba said:

If you have $20k+ a V9 is a much better car.

;)

Hmmmm, these are the only V9s I can find...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/wrx/auction-563066036.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/wrx/auction-577681761.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/impreza/auction-577714200.htm

Don\'t know about you, but those don\'t seem particularly appealing (higher kms) - and furthermore - I thought the difference between V8 and V9 was minute?

Yes V8 also have the DCCD.

But the V9 has the yaw sensing DCCD similar to Mitsi\'s AYC, except it shifts power front to rear as opposed to side to side in the Evo\'s rear end.

I owned a V8 a couple years ago till someone stole it, now have a V9 and I must say I like the V9 interior better, nicer centre console and steering wheel. Also the suspension has the bigger hubs and wider track as mentioned above, also wider wheels and tires 235 wide vs 225 on the V8. But TBH, I dont notice a huge difference in performance - they drive fairly similar. Oh, other bonus of the V9 is it has the factory immobilizer built into the ECU, so harder for thieving scum to make off with it.

Other thing I suppose is that the V9 is a bit rarer/harder to find, and cant be imported so might hold value a little better.

dimin']

Other thing I suppose is that the V9 is a bit rarer/harder to find, and cant be imported so might hold value a little better.

That is a point. I also agree, the interior is much nicer (steering wheel) in the Version 9. If only there were some more decent specimens on the market :(

[quote name='lunchie said:

either way the main thing is that 21k is the top end of $ for a v8 so if that is the model you want just be aware what they are worth

Yeah, I\'m aware that Version 8s will be something like 18k. Don\'t get me wrong, I by no means intend on parting with 21k... I will do what I can to whittle it down to a reasonable V8 price, and if he won\'t budge, I won\'t buy- simple ;D

I should of mentioned also that I paid 18k for my V9 a year ago, good score I thought ! Though it had done 160k when I got it(imported at 151k into the country) its still very tidy and drives just as well my V8 did with 100k on the clock - shows that k\'s on the odo dont mean a hell of a lot IMO. So keep your eyes peeled good deals come up especially people leaving the country, etc. tend to want to flick cars quick so good deals can be had if you\'re quick.

dimin said:

I should of mentioned also that I paid 18k for my V9 a year ago, good score I thought ! Though it had done 160k when I got it(imported at 151k into the country) its still very tidy and drives just as well my V8 did with 100k on the clock - shows that k\'s on the odo dont mean a hell of a lot IMO. So keep your eyes peeled good deals come up especially people leaving the country, etc. tend to want to flick cars quick so good deals can be had if you\'re quick.

Ah mate, great heads-up. Cheers

optmspotts']

That is a point. I also agree, the interior is much nicer (steering wheel) in the Version 9. If only there were some more decent specimens on the market :(

[quote name='lunchie said:

either way the main thing is that 21k is the top end of $ for a v8 so if that is the model you want just be aware what they are worth

/quote]

Yeah, I\'m aware that Version 8s will be something like 18k. Don\'t get me wrong, I by no means intend on parting with 21k... I will do what I can to whittle it down to a reasonable V8 price, and if he won\'t budge, I won\'t buy- simple ;D

Great, think you will be fine then mate, also nice to hear that someone has been having a good result with a higher kms late model STI, had wondered about that myself.