• Raised $0.00

cat removal for extra power?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tebbyj said:

Really?

There seems to be heaps of stuff on the american and english suby site about changing the down pipe and getting all sorts of issues from just a CEL to rich running..

Does it have something to do with the USDM or EDM cars vs our (mainly) JDM cars?

AFAIK, without a tune a downpipe will definitely cause those issues. Did the people having those problems have their car protuned?

optmspotts']

[quote name='tebbyj said:

Really?

There seems to be heaps of stuff on the american and english suby site about changing the down pipe and getting all sorts of issues from just a CEL to rich running..

Does it have something to do with the USDM or EDM cars vs our (mainly) JDM cars?

/quote]

AFAIK, without a tune a downpipe will definitely cause those issues. Did the people having those problems have their car protuned?

nah bro the stock tune does not cause any issues without tune and downpipe

u wont have as much power as u cud but thre will be 100% no issues

e.g.

(all done on same dyno between me and my brothr)

stock v7 sti - 170kw

v7 sti with intake exhaust front mount - 184kw

same thing above i then tuned - 210kw

and tuned has a a LOT more response

SP00N said:

I see, it was my understanding that because of no cat, there is more unburnt fuel coming through the exhaust causing running rich and backfires?

optmspotts']

[quote name='SP00N said:

/quote]

I see, it was my understanding that because of no cat, there is more unburnt fuel coming through the exhaust causing running rich and backfires?

That was my thinking to rear O2 sensor picking up unburnt fuel and thinking theres a problem..

• Admin

A cat doesn\'t burn fuel. It converts certain harmful gasses into somewhat less harmful ones.

And you guys definitely need to take US websites with a grain of salt. Their emissions control, and therefore cat operation and sensor functionality, is considerably different to JDM/NZDM cars.

I can tell you\'ve been all up\'n\'round the IWSTI or NASIOC ;)

boon']

A cat doesn\'t burn fuel. It converts certain harmful gasses into somewhat less harmful ones.

Namely Hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel) and Carbon monoxide (partially burnt fuel) and converting them to C02.

And you guys definitely need to take US websites with a grain of salt. Their emissions control, and therefore cat operation and sensor functionality, is considerably different to JDM/NZDM cars.

Figured this must have been the case, the JDM tune does still have a code for Cat inefficiency but maybe it has a higher threshold over USDM and EDM tunes. After all California has the hardest emissions regulations in the world.

[quote name='boon said:

I can tell you\'ve been all up\'n\'round the IWSTI or NASIOC ;)

Dunno what your talking about.. ;D

newsuba said:

hahaha

The Japanese were way behind the Euros when it came to emissions gear.

Back in 1990 the BMW E30 M3\'s Motronic ECU had a specific de-cat setting.

;D

pity most euros were bhind the Japanese when it came to cool cars in the 90s

Lots of cool 90\'s Euros.

Eg. (excluding the obvious supercars)

Alfa 155 Twinspark, 164 3.0 & QV

Audi 100 S4, Coupe S2

BMW E36 3-series

Mercedes W202 C-class, W124 E-class

Peugeot 309, 405

Porsche 944, 968

Saab 900, 9000

VW Golf MK3 GTI, VR6, Corrado

Volvo 850

:)

Back in the early to mid 90s decent Jap cars were nowhere near as cheap as they are today.

Jap imports had yet to flood the market.

New VTI-R Hondas were $46-60k

Evos and STI\'s ~$60k

Supra Turbo $165k !

Celica GT-Four $93k

Nissan 300ZX $100k

Nissa 200SX $55k

newsuba said:

Back in the early to mid 90s decent Jap cars were nowhere near as cheap as they are today.

Evos and STI\'s ~$60k

Supra Turbo $165k !

Celica GT-Four $93k

Nissan 300ZX $100k

Nissa 200SX $55k

Currently

new sti 69-73k

new gtr 120k+

new 370z 75k+

New GT86 45k+

Yeah you are right, they are much cheaper now, not!!! :P :P

Yep, Toyota NZ sold a few of the later ST-205 model.

Not any Celica but a GT-FOUR !

Actually a nice car, good handling plenty of power, unlike the ST-185 which was a lardass - easily blown away by a well driven Corolla GT.

;D

ST-205

Toyota-Celica_GT_Four_mp6_pic_56641.jpg

ST-185

1991_Toyota_Celica_GT-Four_A.jpg

newsuba said:

Evos and STI\'s ~$60k

Supra Turbo $165k !

Celica GT-Four $93k

Nissan 300ZX $100k

Nissa 200SX $55k

that was brand new most cars us mere mortals had were imported after their 2nd or 3rd registration lapsed in japan back then it was VR4s,Evo 1 or 2s GT Starlets, familias, cyborgs and S13s not sure were you were in the car scene back then but I was right in the thick of it and these were the cars of the time.

No one purchased Supras, Gtrs late model Evos or Wrxs as they were brand new cars much like how not many people on here own V10, 11 or 12s so your point is invalid a bit

newsuba said:

Lots of cool 90\'s Euros.

Eg. (excluding the obvious supercars)

Alfa 155 Twinspark, 164 3.0 & QV

Audi 100 S4, Coupe S2

BMW E36 3-series

Mercedes W202 C-class, W124 E-class

Peugeot 309, 405

Porsche 944, 968

Saab 900, 9000

VW Golf MK3 GTI, VR6, Corrado

Volvo 850

:)

You forgot the coolest euro of the 90s!!

LanciaDelta211024.jpg

That\'s valid

A poxy little pug hot hatch or whatever would command big money, whereas you could have a 300hp jap import for nix. One benefit of next to no local car market was we got to be the dumping ground for jap imports long before the rest of the world started snapping them up, now noo zullund gets to get world famous on the internets for having all these JDM models the rest of the planet goes googoo over

I remember the days when you could pick up a gtst for 3k, they were nothing special until everyone turned drift crazy

Marky said:

That\'s valid

A poxy little pug hot hatch or whatever would command big money, whereas you could have a 300hp jap import for nix. One benefit of next to no local car market was we got to be the dumping ground for jap imports long before the rest of the world started snapping them up, now noo zullund gets to get world famous on the internets for having all these JDM models the rest of the planet goes googoo over

I remember the days when you could pick up a gtst for 3k, they were nothing special until everyone turned drift crazy

yup and twin turbo soarers were had for milk money those were the days alright

johnny5']

that was brand new most cars us mere mortals had were imported after their 2nd or 3rd registration lapsed in japan back then it was VR4s,Evo 1 or 2s GT Starlets, familias, cyborgs and S13s not sure were you were in the car scene back then but I was right in the thick of it and these were the cars of the time.

You sure that was the 90\'s ?

[quote name='tebbyj said:

You forgot the coolest euro of the 90s!!

Cool indeed but I was sticking to cars commonly sold in NZ, excluding exotics.

Only one Integrale was sold NZ new (a red Evo 2 that was converted to RHD with an Alfa steering rack) and even imports are rare.