Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Oil change, 01 wrx

Have I got anything to worry about? Car has been in for a oil change/service and it has come out with sticker on it saying it was given 10w40. Do I need to be worried? Just with it last been serviced with 5w30 like the manual says I am unsure...Thanks

Manual normally specs 3 or so diff oils for diff temps. I run SI 10W40 semi syn. Run it in everything Ive owned turbo with no issues and no usage between changes either. Have so many customers with fleets saying their oil usage drops off to nil compared to what they have been using when they go to agip. You could probably get away with using red stamp if you changed it often enough. In reality pretty much all oil comes out of singapore through the same plant but to each individual companies spec.

A workshop will use whats recommended and often also take into consideration how much work the engine has done. Thicker oil can help with usage when you have worn rings etc.

TLDR dont worry itll be just fine.

Phew nothing to worry about so it seems..Cars only done 104km, but as this was the first time ive notice this and it was different to last times oil change I just thought i\'d check for my own piece of mine even though I was sure the guys new what they were no doubt doing lol

Often an change of brand/viscosity of oil will cause it to use a bit of oil on the first sometimes even second change but more so in commercial than automotive. Try to keep it the same spec if poss.

10w40 is a little bit thicker.

to be honest, we don\'t really get to the cold crank extremes that make the crunch point on the first number. the difference between 30 and 40 at running temperature is also difficult to notice buy the seat of the pants.

supposed to help with oil consumption in higher mileage engines (mines at 170k)

tbh, i wouldn\'t worry about it too much, but if you are loosing sleep over it then swap it back to the 5w30. takes about half an hour all up, including setup etc to swap it all over.

Hmm interesting stuff but thank you all for your advice.

Yes for piece of mind I may just get that done, sometimes its a pain in the ass been female and not that knowledgeable with this type of car! Time to do some reading up.

Thanks guys

Why i said *kinda*

Believe the difference is, vtec is a sliding cam arrangement that increases lift, duration and advance,

Whereas avcs is simply a cam advance in lower rpm to allow a more agressive cam to be run, retaining drivability but increasing upper end power and decreasing fuel usage a bit

evowrx']

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

avcs is *kinda* vtec for subies.

it\'s an adjustable cam advance iirc, bloody good for building boost :D

what sort of milage is on your car?

/quote]

Nope not really similar dude.

To the average layperson there is bugger all difference. It\'s something tricky and variable that the marketing departments use to sell cars and those who know choose how to use it to their advantage.

kwi_fozze said:

Why i said *kinda*

Believe the difference is, vtec is a sliding cam arrangement that increases lift, duration and advance,

Whereas avcs is simply a cam advance in lower rpm to allow a more agressive cam to be run, retaining drivability but increasing upper end power and decreasing fuel usage a bit

i-vtec is best of both worlds I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

10w40 isnt very good in a vvti engineas it is a lot thicker than the 5w30 or 10w30, we have had a lot of verson 7 and 8s as welll as the legacys and non turbo imprezas have bad idling problems becuase the thicker oil clogs up the vvti filters in the banjo bolt, this can then ruin the vvti solenoids by making them stuck open or stuck closed

:)

jkwrx555 said:

10w40 isnt very good in a vvti engineas it is a lot thicker than the 5w30 or 10w30, we have had a lot of verson 7 and 8s as welll as the legacys and non turbo imprezas have bad idling problems becuase the thicker oil clogs up the vvti filters in the banjo bolt, this can then ruin the vvti solenoids by making them stuck open or stuck closed

:)

Are you sure that\'s not the issue where the filter in the banjo bolts would either collapse or get clogged and not the oil?

Here is the recommended oil viscosity\'s from the V7 manual:

bCCnIHn.jpg

Source: http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/1%20-%20GENERAL%20INFO.PDF

Page: 31

I did notice the manual doesn\'t specify the STi model, however I do have the V8/2004 manual and checked that:

U5Mrov8.jpg

Source: http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/STi_Manual/index.htm

Under: \'engine oil\'

tebbyj said:

How do you tell if you have AVCS or not?

Mines got a big bulge over the intake cam on the drivers side cambelt cover so i assumed it had it.

2001 JDM GGA 20K (WRX)

Dirty great solenoids by the fuel rails.