Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

5spd clutch in 6speed box

Pappu1

sadly not my personal car

belongs to a mate who recently got it and he didnt know it was a clutch slip issue on it till after buying

anyway yea i think he is rather broke after the outlay for the sti and between him and the seller they have some deal where he supplies clutch and the seller will fit

thats what i make of it ..

im just tuning the sti once clutch is done hence worried abt the slipping..

does anyone know if there is a clamp difference between 6 speed and 5 speed turbo sti ?

SP00N said:

sadly not my personal car

belongs to a mate who recently got it and he didnt know it was a clutch slip issue on it till after buying

anyway yea i think he is rather broke after the outlay for the sti and between him and the seller they have some deal where he supplies clutch and the seller will fit

thats what i make of it ..

im just tuning the sti once clutch is done hence worried abt the slipping..

does anyone know if there is a clamp difference between 6 speed and 5 speed turbo sti ?

yes there is a considerable difference. :o In both the flywheel and pressure plate. I\'m not quite sure on the Clutch plate itself though But i think there is a diameter difference too. :)

evowrx']

[quote name='SP00N said:

umm so in summary a stockish sti clutch Will slip at round 230kw? ???

im with ra555 as i had a stock sti clutch in my old rex and it made 235kw and didnt feel slipping at all... (or maybe as titan says - i didnt feel it??)

/quote]

It maybe ok! What i am saying is get it checked for clamp. Autoclutch advises that 3500lb is required to prevent 250kw slipping at all. ;) ;)

Above this Kw a multiplate system is advised.

Im just passing on what i was told. Im not looking to argue >:(

I went with what ichi ban said about max 240kw atw I didnt really see myself going further...

Neil told me their single plate upgrade was good for 450w/kw. Mind you I dont know if hes just old or what because he quoted me a price then upped it $200 when I rung back a few weeks later just before I put it on the courier to him. I have no time for ditherers or rip offs or whatever game he was playing. People love their clutches some hate em but if anything goes wrong it sounds like it wasnt their fault regardless of circumstance. Dont think theyre short of work so they can be like that.

Id second the "get the right clutch for it" movement.

Yeah "get it right the first time A"

Neill would have said 450 Hp not Kw Thats 337 Kw. But he may have realised his mistake and therefore up priced your enquiry to do a multi plate assembly probably.

I could be wrong though.

What I can say is all the clutches that he has done for me have been fantastic in both grip and foot feel without shudder.

titian said:

You may not feel the slip at less than 3500 clamp with more than 220 (approx) Kw :D

But I can assure you it will be slipping.

My misunderstanding on the application versus a 6 speed already fitted oops!

Why not have clamp force set as high as possible before flywheel deflection?

2800 clamp and 300kw? No slip? NO way! :)

When i first set my wagon up it had 2800 clamp.....Slipped every-time I hooked 3rd to overtake from around 80kph. So quick to hit the rev limiter that the rev counter could not "see" it too.

So a 4200lb clamp was fitted. It does not slip now.

Set correctly too. The pedal is as light as a feather( almost)

Whereas the 2800lb (exedy out of a box rated at 3500) required a leg off Hercules to hold the pedal down at the lights. Not to mention the excessive crankshaft loading!

Clutches require careful setup to achieve the best result ;)

Maybe my wagon has more than 300 Kw?......Dont think so......Would be way to scary then! :o :o :o

ive got 3600lbs now an it shutteres like a b!tch but once shes moving she drives like a standard car. Somethings wrong if your clutch was at that sortr clutch pressure/power. How ever torque must play a part as a couple years ago I had 260kw never slipped did a 11.9 on that setup over an over again. Did no mpds but re tuned it never gained kw but gain sh!t loads of torque. Took her down meremere she launched sweet but slapped 2nd,3rd an 4th an slipped everytime. (howd I kno it went to redline or revs increased dramaticlly an car wasnt piking up speed untill I tapp accelerator then she picked up speed and that was a standard hd exedy which is bugger all clamping pressure

titian']

[quote name='SP00N said:

im with ra555 as i had a stock sti clutch in my old rex and it made 235kw and didnt feel slipping at all... (or maybe as titan says - i didnt feel it??)

/quote]

It maybe ok! What i am saying is get it checked for clamp. Autoclutch advises that 3500lb is required to prevent 250kw slipping at all. ;) ;)

I went with what ichi ban said about max 240kw atw I didnt really see myself going further...

Neil told me their single plate upgrade was good for 450w/kw. Mind you I dont know if hes just old or what because he quoted me a price then upped it $200 when I rung back a few weeks later just before I put it on the courier to him. I have no time for ditherers or rip offs or whatever game he was playing. People love their clutches some hate em but if anything goes wrong it sounds like it wasnt their fault regardless of circumstance. Dont think theyre short of work so they can be like that.

Neill would have said 450 Hp not Kw Thats 337 Kw. But he may have realised his mistake and therefore up priced your enquiry to do a multi plate assembly probably.

I could be wrong though.

What I can say is all the clutches that he has done for me have been fantastic in both grip and foot feel without shudder.

yea they grip sweet but still have the shutter. Everyone I kno who has a auto clutch from neil , shutters

titian']

[quote name='SP00N said:

/quote]

I could be wrong though.

Definitely not a twin plate it was kevlar plate and respeccing my pressure plate. Exactly the same setup. He asked how much I was quoted then I told him and he was like it\'ll be X amount. I was like ok well this is fuckin retarded so Ill get back to you then...

aim said:

My clutch shudders like a bitch when cold. Exedy HD. Do I need a new one?

nope my exedy shuddered for a day took it to mechanic an got clutch re adjusted after that 100% mint never shuddered again

I ran a 5 puk exedy in my libero. Never ran it in, adjusted pedal or machined flywheel and gave it absolute s*** from day dot. Tough on the foot but never slipped and never shuddered. Was very on/off and could shift quicker than the synchros.