Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

5spd clutch in 6speed box

Pappu1

will a 5 speed clutch fit a 6speed v8 sti setup?

have heard of various things so just wondering if anyone knows for sure

will we need to change the flywheel and starter as well to 5 speed

or just bolt the clutch on the 6 speed fly and all will work

clutch is a HD turbo clutch. was meant to go on a v3 sti but guy now has newer car and needs to do a clutch so thinking of using the one he got for his old v3

funkytown said:

230 is fine on 5mt clutch. U need to match the flywheel starter motor and clutch fork tho.

will a 5 spd fly and assembly bolt to a v8 sti block? and the also run on the 6spd box (someone said the input shaft is shorter?)

Ok excellent

I have the 5spd clutch and fly and starter so will swap that over

I thought thT was the 5spd fly didn\'t bolt to gdb block or so I was told and for this setup needed to mount 5spd clutch on the 6spd fly.......?

funkytown said:

Also get the 5spd clutch fork!!!

Oh yes.true! ;).230kw? Yes it will slip if you do not have at least 3500lb of clamp. Get it checked! make sure it is correct.

Other than that its a simple job to fit the 6 speed to the motor :) Just Remember this too:- The diff is 3.9 So the rear diff will also require swap out. Then the rear axles need to be matched too. All good fun ;D ;D

You will be well pleased once its fitted. Damn nice box they are!

titian']

[quote name='funkytown said:

/quote]

Oh yes.true! ;) .230kw? Yes it will slip if you do not have at least 3500lb of clamp. Get it checked! make sure it is correct.

Other than that its a simple job to fit the 6 speed to the motor :) Just Remember this too:- The diff is 3.9 So the rear diff will also require swap out. Then the rear axles need to be matched too. All good fun ;D ;D

Sorry eric Im gonna call BS. Mine doesnt slip and is new stock STi uprated item.

titian']

[quote name='funkytown said:

/quote]

Oh yes.true! ;).230kw? Yes it will slip if you do not have at least 3500lb of clamp. Get it checked! make sure it is correct.

Do you even read??? ???

The guy had a ver3 STI and he bought a new HD clutch for it but did not fit it, then sold it/replaced it with a ver8 STI (his current car) and now is asking is it possible to fit the 5speed clutch (that he bought previously) to his ver8 STI which have 6speed gbox!

now re, "at least 3500lb", NO, no need for that at all, my previous clutch was 2800lb and was fine ~300kw

simple answer is yes it\'s doable like funky said and you\'ll need what funky mentioned!

You may not feel the slip at less than 3500 clamp with more than 220 (approx) Kw :D

But I can assure you it will be slipping.

My misunderstanding on the application versus a 6 speed already fitted oops!

Why not have clamp force set as high as possible before flywheel deflection?

2800 clamp and 300kw? No slip? NO way! :)

When i first set my wagon up it had 2800 clamp.....Slipped every-time I hooked 3rd to overtake from around 80kph. So quick to hit the rev limiter that the rev counter could not "see" it too.

So a 4200lb clamp was fitted. It does not slip now.

Set correctly too. The pedal is as light as a feather( almost)

Whereas the 2800lb (exedy out of a box rated at 3500) required a leg off Hercules to hold the pedal down at the lights. Not to mention the excessive crankshaft loading!

Clutches require careful setup to achieve the best result ;)

Maybe my wagon has more than 300 Kw?......Dont think so......Would be way to scary then! :o :o :o

Generally if you get slight slip it just keeps going if you keep your foot up it, it generally doesnt gain traction on the flywheel till you button off. Well in my experience anyway. My sti clutch is light on the pedal.

also titian - you dont necessarily need to match axles and things.

you\'ve assumed its got a r180 rear diff. Where as i can tell you there are two examples in r160 / 3.9ratio that lets the OP use his current axles and hubs. And i can assure you they also handle well into 320wkw territory.

evowrx said:

Generally if you get slight slip it just keeps going if you keep your foot up it, it generally doesnt gain traction on the flywheel till you button off. Well in my experience anyway. My sti clutch is light on the pedal.

that is entirely true! :) However as in my case it takes just under 6 seconds to require a up gear change from 3rd under wot and I would suggest others are also in this time zone or less.

As i see it this occurs:-

When you have your foot hard down and you are overtaking this 5-6 seconds passes so damn quick you may not notice the slip before you back off. In lower gears it may not even slip as the work required is less.

The clutch will therefore slip (probably not spin away though) if it does not have sufficient clamp for Kw output when new. But it will drive well most of the time without slip. That is until the power comes on suddenly as in a quick downchange. Or its on the dyno being held back. Even then you probably will not notice it until it is real bad. i.e Clutch plate burnt/worn away and clamp has been diminished under say around 1800lb

Tis easy to demonstrate but not easy to clarify on a bloody forum. :(

Yes Funky. My mistake on that diff :( I did say that did i not? in my previous post. As i assumed a 6speed was being fitted NOT just a clutch.

Agreed! :) :)

umm so in summary a stockish sti clutch Will slip at round 230kw????

im with ra555 as i had a stock sti clutch in my old rex and it made 235kw and didnt feel slipping at all... (or maybe as titan says - i didnt feel it??)

SP00N said:

umm so in summary a stockish sti clutch Will slip at round 230kw????

im with ra555 as i had a stock sti clutch in my old rex and it made 235kw and didnt feel slipping at all... (or maybe as titan says - i didnt feel it??)

It maybe ok! What i am saying is get it checked for clamp. Autoclutch advises that 3500lb is required to prevent 250kw slipping at all. ;) ;)

Above this Kw a multiplate system is advised.

Im just passing on what i was told. Im not looking to argue >:(

• Admin

I feel that you should flick the clutch and pick up proper 6MT items. You have to change enough stuff that it\'s going to be a bother-around and it means that in the future if he sells the car some poor bastard will get screwed at clutch time when nothing fits together properly.

I mean honestly, if you can afford a V8 STI you can afford to put a proper damn clutch in it or you should sell the car instead of mickey-mouse butchering it and turning it into yet another shit example.

boon said:

I feel that you should flick the clutch and pick up proper 6MT items. You have to change enough stuff that it\'s going to be a bother-around and it means that in the future if he sells the car some poor bastard will get screwed at clutch time when nothing fits together properly.

I mean honestly, if you can afford a V8 STI you can afford to put a proper damn clutch in it or you should sell the car instead of mickey-mouse butchering it and turning it into yet another s*** example.

Now thats probably the most sensible statement yet! :) But still get the clamp force checked as being correct/ok/as stated. ;)

titian']

[quote name='SP00N said:

umm so in summary a stockish sti clutch Will slip at round 230kw? ???

/quote]

It maybe ok! What i am saying is get it checked for clamp. Autoclutch advises that 3500lb is required to prevent 250kw slipping at all. ;) ;)

Above this Kw a multiplate system is advised.

Im just passing on what i was told. Im not looking to argue >:(

I went with what ichi ban said about max 240kw atw I didnt really see myself going further...

Neil told me their single plate upgrade was good for 450w/kw. Mind you I dont know if hes just old or what because he quoted me a price then upped it $200 when I rung back a few weeks later just before I put it on the courier to him. I have no time for ditherers or rip offs or whatever game he was playing. People love their clutches some hate em but if anything goes wrong it sounds like it wasnt their fault regardless of circumstance. Dont think theyre short of work so they can be like that.

Id second the "get the right clutch for it" movement.