Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Baffled sump

AdamOst

I see this topic has been done a couple of times but nothing recently so want up to date info.

For around the $1000 mark, what would be recommended to replace the stock sump in a v6 sti with a baffled sump of some sort. Is moroso/macbilt still the one to get in the price range? I only have re-11 road tyres for now, but will be getting semi slicks eventually. Or will I be fine with just a pbms baffled sump. Tracks will be pukekohe/taupo/hampton downs.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have gone hyperflow sump higher capacity 6 l but I also added more baffles to it myself to be sure, this was a stage 1 sump and I got it cheap as they\'ve gone bust and dealer had one in stock paid 400 nzd for mine plus 100 more for baffles being added by welder.

Sweet, will give them a call and get one closer to the end of the year. I shouldn\'t have much in the way of issues at Taupo should I as long as im sensible, till I get the sump?. Ive done one already there and 2 at HD without issue so far. With Subarus its mainly the extended fast right handers that cause issues iirc? Going back to taupo in august for a day I organised so probably wont have the funds to get one before then.

Macbilts all good, I\'ve got one in my car. Was about 1100 incl gst I think, haven\'t done a track day with it my self yet but know of many others that have with no problems.

Spark38 had a pbms street one and did all the north island tracks (i think) and only had oil pressure problems at Hampton downs.

Im literally down the road from Macbilt so if you get one I could strip it/coat it for you as well ;D haha

Taupo is fine with no baffled sump, I went there to kill my old engine..and it still survived..

funkytown said:

havent used or detailed a morosso sump.

people above have pointed out two good options, and morosso probably stands with those,

I guess what im saying is, a sump alone is not going to solve your problems. its not a fit and forget item.

What other measures would help, as you\'ve mentioned the sump alone will not solve the problem?

oil control in the heads and crank case breather.

not eating the limiter continuously

not triggering \'gp limits\' all the time

changing oil out regularly

keeping oil temps in check (hot and cold)

warming it up, and down

not running oober kw

keeping oil levels up.

to name a few things

a sump alone will help significantly - it might not stop it mowing your engine.

doing any or all of those extra things will significantly help - they might not stop it mowing your engine.

funkytown said:

oil control in the heads and crank case breather.

not eating the limiter continuously

not triggering \'gp limits\' all the time

changing oil out regularly

keeping oil temps in check (hot and cold)

warming it up, and down

not running oober kw

keeping oil levels up.

to name a few things

a sump alone will help significantly - it might not stop it mowing your engine.

doing any or all of those extra things will significantly help - they might not stop it mowing your engine.

So running an oil cooler, larger oil pump, baffled/increase sump will make a good difference over factory.

Great info, thanks. I was going to look at an oil cooler as well as the sump itself, didnt think of the oil pump. Looks like im probably going with the moroso sump as they fit in my budget. Ill give macbilt a call as well though to compare.

For taupo ill just what ive been doing and run an extra half L of oil/change at 7k max.

Sweet, changing the oil isnt an expensive outlay in the scheme of things. Im happy to spend the money getting a mostly reliable setup first before i start worrying about running semi slicks/chasing more power.

Thanks for your help.