Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

which alloy radiators to stay away from

johnny5

Ok looking to update my stock one as it has a green line round th top tank so I dont think its holding pressure, So I\'m gonna move to alloy as this is my second tank that has been pressed onto this core and Im sick of going round in circles.

I know mishimoto and Fenix are good but was wondering if anyone has tried the redline stock, have heard that sometimes the holes dont line up properly for the fans or overflow bottle... is this true? are there any other reputable places that can supply one?

All the help you guys can give will be much appreciated

• General Member

I just went through this Drama myself and the advice I got from a number of people was dont waste time with Alloy.

I was shown a picture of a Redline one that simply didnt fit, it sat about 3-5CM higher than the top bonnet bar. In the end I went with another stock one from Silverdale Radiators on Trademe. Cost was about $270 delivered I think, paid by Net banking Weds Morning and it was on my door step Fri Morning.

I had a feeling the redline ones were s*** for fitment cause my exhaust was as well needed alot of mods to fit, surely there must be some good alloy ones though had a fenix in a car I use to own never had a problem but could go buy a new Stock radiator

Im oredering one from A1 radiators $286.35 all up same width and height as the stock core but 40mm thick alloy tanks will let ya know how it goes. Somehow the Mishimoto went from 368 to 469 so kinda ruled that out

i used a DSR one on my stagea and it was mint for couple of years untill car got written off

atm i have a generic no name one from jap race in my gc8 . been there for 2 years . never been any cause for concern ,

all of the rad caps are shit so throw them away / keep the one you have

i think with really common fitment skyline/subaru etc there shouldnt be any real dramas these days

rex-leggy said:

im looking to get a mishimoto

price is ok for states but shipping\'s the killer

yea looked at the states shipping sux ass and dodsons seemed over inflated unless they were pricing the x line triple core model

lachlan said:

i think with really common fitment skyline/subaru etc there shouldnt be any real dramas these days

i wish I shared your faith but experience of ill fitting generic parts has me running in most instances A1 have gauranteed it would fit so will go out on a limb and trust what they say.

I\'ll see how it compares to the redline scarles jobbies could all be 1 and the same

Got it its in and its running good cant get the temp ovr 90 degrees so good so far.

Was a bit nervous when the packaging came and it said made in china could be generic like them scarles jobbies

Fitment was good it all lined up wasnt pin point perfect but a millimetre here and few there and in she went used half litre more coolant than usual could have been a bit more but otherwise I recommend them.

Will update in a few months with progress but $286 is pretty good only thing cheaper is redline at $250

johnny5 said:

Was a bit nervous when the packaging came and it said made in china could be generic like them scarles jobbies

Made in China means nothing these days, it all depends on how good the design and then the quality control is at the factory. There is a huge amount of manufacturing capability available in China and they can make some really good quality products. But only if it comes from the right factory and has the right people auditing the parts.

In other words, I\'m sure that you could buy some shittily made products out of Germany as well.

But then there is a large amount of cheap crap that does get made in China as well.

So really what I\'m trying to get at, is just because its made in China, doesn\'t insinuate anything about the quality of the product. IMO.

Disclaimer: I work in quality control and design of products made in China. A large amount of the time, the stuff they make for us is much higher quality that what we can build in our own factory as they have much, much better equipment and economies of scale for better production methods. They can also seriously f*** things up too, due to production quantity pressures generally.

cheers koom like I said WAS a bit nervous but nothing to worry about guess that stereo typical thing just struck my mind is all.

On the funny side have had a product show up once clearly stating "MADE IN CHAIN" definately knew I was in trouble when they couldnt even spell the name of the country right