Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Track prep (Yes I have read the thread above)

shore_boy

I\'ll be taking my car to Hampton for a play day next weekend. This will be my first track day.

I\'m real keen and looking forward to it however, i\'d like to make sure the car is going to have the best chance of holding it\'s own against a newbie driver. I know that for Hempton i\'ll be needing a helmet and overalls but on the site it makes no mention of a fire extinguisher (unless i\'m a fool and missed that part). Some advision from those who have been regarding this would be great :)

We\'ll be taking the car on a trailer so that if the worst happens we can transport it home. Pessimistic yes but who knows...

The things I\'ve done so far in preparation are:

Check motor oil which looks nice and clean. I\'d like to know how much to overfill the oil as I am worried about bearings.

I\'ve replaced the fluid in the transmission.

I\'ve replaced brake fluid and bled the brake lines.

I\'ve had my front discs machined to take my new EBC pads well (EBC yellow stuffs). So yes done the pads a well.

Rear pads are endless pads and have plenty of life in them.

My tires are Eagle F1\'s with about 4mm tread (are these good for a dry day?)

I have most of the mods that are mentioned on the building a track car on a budget too so I hope that it\'s sufficient!

Let me know what you think, cheers!

Best thing I found to make my car last for many trackdays was to not stay out for longer than about 10 to 15 minutes hot laps at a time. Often if they were days that were being run with half hour or so time slots, I\'d just do three or so laps at a medium pace and then get back on it again for 4 or 5 hot laps.

On street tyres, there\'s not too much to worry about for short periods of time (maybe 500mls extra oil). Once you have done 4 or 5 laps at full pace, the oil will start thinning right out, the street tyres will start going off and your brakes will turn to butter as everything will be heatsoaking. Give it a chance to cool down before bringing it back in as well. Remember its not a race so no need to be driving at 110% right up until you enter the pit lane!

Also I have seen alot of people in the past who come in after their first 4 or 5 hot laps and freak out cause there\'s smoke coming out of every orifice of their engine bay. Its generally just all the grime and crap baking off their engine.

Main thing: heat is the enemy more than anything else when driving a road car on the track (apart from tyre walls, if you drive into one of those, it does more immediate damage than getting everything hot :P )

evowrx said:

Never done a track day but baffled sump seems to be high on the list. $200 odd for a basic pbms one which would be better than the stock one Id guess.

Love those tyres also.

I have strongly considered this and decided against it. Reason being I don\'t believe i\'m a good enough driver and that I don\'t think the car will take the corners that well. Also limited funds was a big part of the decision.

I know the consequences and i understand the benefits but as I say above I\'m not so sure I can push my car that hard. In fact I think it\'s going to laugh at me.

Cheers for the input :)

Koom said:

Best thing I found to make my car last for many trackdays was to not stay out for longer than about 10 to 15 minutes hot laps at a time. Often if they were days that were being run with half hour or so time slots, I\'d just do three or so laps at a medium pace and then get back on it again for 4 or 5 hot laps.

On street tyres, there\'s not too much to worry about for short periods of time (maybe 500mls extra oil). Once you have done 4 or 5 laps at full pace, the oil will start thinning right out, the street tyres will start going off and your brakes will turn to butter as everything will be heatsoaking. Give it a chance to cool down before bringing it back in as well. Remember its not a race so no need to be driving at 110% right up until you enter the pit lane!

Also I have seen alot of people in the past who come in after their first 4 or 5 hot laps and freak out cause there\'s smoke coming out of every orifice of their engine bay. Its generally just all the grime and crap baking off their engine.

Main thing: heat is the enemy more than anything else when driving a road car on the track (apart from tyre walls, if you drive into one of those, it does more immediate damage than getting everything hot :P )

Cheers for that. I\'ve been told a lot that 15mins is a big session for a road orientated car and that I should be going easy on it.

So from what I understand (from your last post) you can drive on and off the track at hampton? I\'ll keep the three to four laps in mind.

When driving the car off the track to cool should it be idling?

Dunno about Hampton and it depends who\'s running it. My experience is from Ruapuna mostly and they were organised by Clubsub members back then. I used to just slow down for two or three laps and then go back to full pace after giving it a rest.

Once the session has ended, as soon as you see the checked flag (or better if you decide earlier that you\'re done and give it a couple of laps cooldown), back off and cruise around the track. Airflow is still a huge help to cool everything so keeping it moving helps alot.

Then once you get it back to the pits, turn the engine off but leave the key on so the fans can stay on (can\'t remember but may help to turn the a/c button on so it blows both fans). Roll the car back and then forward ever few minutes so you don\'t glaze the brakes by leaving it sitting in one spot.

If it is still really, really hot under the engine bay when you get back to the pits, it may help to leave it running to keep the coolant circulating, or even better, go for a cruise down the road or round the car park until it has cooled properly.

Mine used to overflow the brake fluid just through heat soak whenever I brought it back to the pits, it was that hot under the bonnet, even after taking extra care to cool it down.

Just remember, its generally heat that kills road cars.

• General Member

If its playday on track they will limit you, normally to about 6 laps (at Manfield they do anyway) which works out well at 1 ease in lap, 4 flying and 1 cool down but you can come in at anytime.

The playday guys will give you a good briefing at the start and will hold the newbies back for an extra chat to keep you all safe and make sure you understand theres no pressure.

Also if you want massive amount of time pace yourself, first track outing you will probably tire quickly and after lunch the lines to get out often thin right out and you will find you can get massive amounts of time in the arvo.

Playdays are a ton of fun, keep that top of mind and you will be fine.

I was told to adjust your line for the final sweeper onto the main straight, do more of a tight V line instead of hugging the inside to help save BEB. So go in deeper into the corner and turn sharper. It might be a little slower but its not a big issues in the scheme of things.

Also if you can, bring a 20L jerry cna of gas, its annoying having to keep leaving to get gas. I ran out of gas by lunch time, filled up and ran out again about 3pm.

Cheers guys,

Will keep all of the above in mind for the day. Will definitely be easing into it as I have no real experience, I\'m sure it will be an awesome day though!

Car is feeling really good at the moment and my ecu is currently in Christchurch for repair will have it by Wednesday or Thursday I\'d imagine.

Have a question regarding collisions on the track. Say for example you hit someone in in a corner or someone stands on their brakes and you collide how do they go about deciding? Witnesses perhaps? What if there are none?

I would guess there is a track etiquette but I have no idea hence the question.

Mate.. on the track you repair your own car...

But if your a dick and do something stupid and hit someone be prepared for a very angry person to visit you in the pits..

so if your a newbie. do your best to stay out of faster cars way.

If a faster car is coming up behind you. hold your line and let him past.

Same goes if your the faster car.. make sure the guy your passing knows your there.

If your unsure of your brakes. do follow someone too close and dont follow directly behind them. move yourself over to the side so if they do outbrake you the worst you will do is shoot past them in a cloud of smoke.

Bottom line dude.. if its your first time out take it slow..

Dont go out and think you are instantly gonna be carving up nana\'s left n right..

What if they\'re going unreasonably slow for example they\'re almost at a stop? Do they have right of way being the car in front? What if their brake lights are not working?

I\'m aware that you have to have a WOF but shit happens...

My question was more related to tricky circumstances. What you said was quite blunt and obvious...

funkytown said:

blanket statement: if you get on the track you have 100% responsibility for your own car in 100% of scenarios.

shore_boy.... "Is there a courtesy system?"

Dude.....

Its not a line at starbucks...

if you see someone going slow.. go past them.

If your worried about stacking your car or someone else\'s car dont go out.. simple as that.

Other wise grow some stones and just go do it!!!

• General Member

If its a pladay on track event they will explain the ettiquette to you about what to do if your being followed in the newbies briefing. With the playdays its no passing under brakes and it relies on a bit of self honesty that if your holding someone up you let them go.

Basic rule of thumb as Mike put above, be considerate and get out the way of those quicker than you.

As for Damage, if your not prepared for the possibility of stacking it, running a BEB etc. probably best not to go out. - Damn Mikes ninja edit beat me to it :(

Here is a little vid of some boys at the DOBC playday.

this gives you a bit of a hint as to how it works in close quarters..

:Note..

The camera car is a GT30 Wagon and the Stickered up BC5 is me

Ben and i tend to play a wee bit so get quite close

madmike']

[quote name='funkytown said:

blanket statement: if you get on the track you have 100% responsibility for your own car in 100% of scenarios.

/quote]

Dude.....

If your worried about stacking your car or someone else\'s car dont go out.. simple as that.

You missed my point.

My statement related to damaging someone else\'s car. To put into context if I knocked someone\'s coffee at Starbucks and they sustained burns would I help them or would I walk away? So in the event of a crash nobody is responsible but we would all hope that whoever caused the crash would own up.

I\'m not worried I just want to be a respectable person on the day. That is all.

shore_boy']

[quote name='funkytown said:

/quote]

Dude.....

You missed my point.

My statement related to damaging someone else\'s car. To put into context if I knocked someone\'s coffee at Starbucks and they sustained burns would I help them or would I walk away? So in the event of a crash nobody is responsible but we would all hope that whoever caused the crash would own up.

I\'m not worried I just want to be a respectable person on the day. That is all.

So if you crash into someone.. the first thing you do i go and make your apologies..

and hope.. depending on the car you hit that he isnt really really upset..

And the next thing that will happen is the playday organizers will probably come tap you on the shoulder and tell you ever so politely to pack your shit and fuck off...

Bottom line.. keep yourself out of trouble and harms way and just go have fun...

Hamptons is quite tough on tires and brakes so I\'d spend the first couple of sessions learning lines and braking points. Ive seen many first timers visit the wall due to over enthusiasm.

This will also go some way to keeping your oil temps down, as hot oil sloshes easily and endangers your bearings

Rules for play days are basically dont overtake under brakes or in corners. Maybe find someone who knows the track well and is about the same speed and learn the track from them.

Some footage here of a Hamptons playday from a year ago - including following Tony @5mins who is damn quick around hamptons