Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

v10 sti should i keep it?

Hi there

just wanted to get some other views on my situation I brought a version 10 sti drove it home to my mechanic, only to have him find it has a blowen head gasket and a knock possible big end.

I love the car best car I\'ve ever driven but want to know if it\'s worth letting g try and get it fixed or just quit now and get money back and wait for another one.

As much as like the car I\'m reasonable person any advice or thoughts would be great cheers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a bit gutting. Worst case buy a new shortblock and reassemble it, providing your heads are ok.

IMO it would be hard to sell as it is, would lose a lot of $$$ I would imagine, be better to repair the engine and sell it(or keep it and enjoy !)

Where are you based and what mechanical experience do you have? Short block is 3.5k odd genuine if heads are ok you would be looking at under 5k to refresh it all nicely doing most of it yourself.

Picking throwing it back at them isnt an option or you would have done that already.

In in Hamilton, got a pretty good knowledge I\'m pretty annoyed I didn\'t see it wasn\'t thinking right when I looked at it, it is from a dealer so he is legally obligated to repair it, I would prefer to do it my self so I k ow it\'s done right but not sure if he\'s willing to do that, see what happens when he gets the quote from his mechanic, pretty gutted only got to do 120 ks in it hasn\'t been driven since, but yeah just not sure if I trust his mechanic.

If its a dealer throw the book at him or you will lose out big time. fbssub1 on here is a top cunt if you want to fix it out of your own wallet and taupoish so close or only ever hear good things about F.F.S Ltd in wellington and they do a damn cheap forged shortie.

Ask him for some cash and go a forged shortblock and get your heads tested for hardness.

I got 1k off a dealer to go towards a new motor, was better that way than stuffing round with them getting it fixed. Of course that was towards a $1500 motor yours is a lot more so you should get more.

J.Patterson']

[quote name='Rosssub said:

Give us a rough figure so we can go window shopping for you ;)

/quote]

Rough figure for a new car or engine :P

New car, then engine when you get his quote. I\'d be after another quote to compare with his though, like you said \'hard to trust a car yards mechanic\'. He could just do big end and gaskets but two other shops might say \'hell no, needs a full rebuild\'.

Take it back to the dealer, tell him to shove it up his arse, take the refund and go shopping somewhere else, u will find what you want else where.

I can bet that the dealer knew it was not right but sold it anyways, what else is wrong with the car that he has hidden

We are borg said:

Take it back to the dealer, tell him to shove it up his arse, take the refund and go shopping somewhere else, u will find what you want else where.

I can bet that the dealer knew it was not right but sold it anyways, what else is wrong with the car that he has hidden

110% this

To have a near-new car get that damaged, it\'s had a hell of a hard life.

Get your refund, leave it as his problem, you\'ll find another one soon enough

Unless it was something super-rare or super-cheap there is no point in you inheriting his problem.

To be fair the dealer may (*may*) not have known about the issue and just gotten it as a dishonest trade in, either way there\'s no reason it needs to be yours to fix or deal with. CGA is 100% behind you in this case

And this is why it is nice to buy from dealers rather than privately sometimes

yeah your better off giving at back to the dealer, the stress of not knowing will kill you as well with what else could be wrong with the car, with only 120K on the body/engine you would wonder it would have been good and truely thrashed

I hate to say this as its a v10 and they are such nice cars, but I seriously doubt a dealer will agree to pay out 8k on ANY rebuild, so then you really have three options, take it back and get a full refund (and take some pics of said car so all clubsubbers know to stay the F away from it lol) get the dealer to fix it and risk a bad job, get the dealer to agree to kick in a few K towards you getting it done yourself but I would surprised if you got more than 4,000.

Also just out of curiosity, was it an NZ new or Jap import V10?

Yeah that\'s a pretty fair point its nz new one the dealer is magnum motors its a silver v10 was on trade me over the week end rego CZY710 just so you all know I\'ll get some photos but yeah I\'ll wait and see what his mechanic says. And probably just go for my money back option

Im got different thoughts to the other guys, get the dealer to fix it, but do get a second opinion on the damage (not a backyard mechanic) plus an agreed repair process before you start. That way you end up with a new car with a new engine, whats to say you don\'t go and buy another one and get the same issue 4-6months down the track and its out of dealer warranty. Providing it was fixed right, you should be problem free (which they have to sort anyway if you get any in the first three months) and it will have better resale value (with receipts) in the future.

I saw that car on TM, worth keeping in my opinion, rare at nz new to.

My 2c anyway.

If the engine is that thrashed already than everything else will most likely be thrashed too. If you get the car fixed and the gearbox fucks out in six months time because of the abuse/lack of servicing you won\'t be very happy. If you can get your money back then take it and run.

stira said:

Im got different thoughts to the other guys, get the dealer to fix it, but do get a second opinion on the damage (not a backyard mechanic) plus an agreed repair process before you start. That way you end up with a new car with a new engine, whats to say you don\'t go and buy another one and get the same issue 4-6months down the track and its out of dealer warranty. Providing it was fixed right, you should be problem free (which they have to sort anyway if you get any in the first three months) and it will have better resale value (with receipts) in the future.

I saw that car on TM, worth keeping in my opinion, rare at nz new to.

My 2c anyway.

Imo this is the way to go.