Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

v10 sti should i keep it?

duddley said:

If the engine is that thrashed already than everything else will most likely be thrashed too. If you get the car fixed and the gearbox fucks out in six months time because of the abuse/lack of servicing you won\'t be very happy. If you can get your money back then take it and run.

dccd 6spd. Prob same box as the v8/9 sti. Wouldn\'t cost anywhere near as much as an engine rebuild. I would ask them to change every fluid in the car too.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stira said:

I\'m got different thoughts to the other guys, get the dealer to fix it, but do get a second opinion on the damage (not a backyard mechanic) plus an agreed repair process before you start. That way you end up with a new car with a new engine, whats to say you don\'t go and buy another one and get the same issue 4-6months down the track and its out of dealer warranty. Providing it was fixed right, you should be problem free (which they have to sort anyway if you get any in the first three months) and it will have better resale value (with receipts) in the future.

I saw that car on TM, worth keeping in my opinion, rare at NZ new to.

My 2c anyway.

Yeah I\'m in two minds about it ae, in just going to wait and see what his mechanic says is the issue and what work they plan to do and base my choice of that, I would rather keep it, plus under the consumer act if he fixes it and its still not right I can take it back again till its new, or still claim my money back, its pretty hard to find 2.5 ones so yeah not sure I\'ll just wait and see what they want to do, if he fixes it I\'ll be getting mechanic to pull the whole thing apart and fulling inspecting there work I trust him more than any one.

Yeah I do t mean fully pull it apart bit of a over statement just get fully checked again yeah the yard knows they have the car now, it was towed back the next day, I\'ve tried to do it all by the books, everything Said and done has been confirmed by email on both sides.

J.Patterson said:

Yeah that\'s a pretty fair point its nz new one the dealer is magnum motors its a silver v10 was on trade me over the week end rego CZY710 just so you all know I\'ll get some photos but yeah I\'ll wait and see what his mechanic says. And probably just go for my money back option

Because it is a NZ new it means it has the 2.5ltr. These engines are KNOWN to crap out with little abuse, there are many many reports with documented evidence on the UK subaru sites showing the 2.5ltr sti engines going pop when pushed even a bit and lots of failures when the cars are on the dyno during remaps etc with minimal or no earlier mods.

I know some of you will disagree with this but the evidence does not lie.

If i were you I would take the chance to get out of the car completely and pick up something like this instead.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=657974236

It is the same model but has the much stronger engine (2ltr)

lunchie']

[quote name='J.Patterson said:

Yeah that\'s a pretty fair point its nz new one the dealer is magnum motors its a silver v10 was on trade me over the week end rego CZY710 just so you all know I\'ll get some photos but yeah I\'ll wait and see what his mechanic says. And probably just go for my money back option

/quote]

Because it is a NZ new it means it has the 2.5ltr. These engines are KNOWN to crap out with little abuse, there are many many reports with documented evidence on the UK subaru sites showing the 2.5ltr sti engines going pop when pushed even a bit and lots of failures when the cars are on the dyno during remaps etc with minimal or no earlier mods.

If i were you I would take the chance to get out of the car completely and pick up something like this instead.

just forge it and do everything right and I doubt there will be much of a problem.

lunchie']

[quote name='lunchie said:

Hating on 2.5L turbo Subies since WAY back.....

Not biased at all tho haha

cheers guys i really appreciate all the advice it got much more feed back than i thought I\'m going to check out his mechanic see what he thinks and proably just get it fixed and see what happens ae, by law if its not fixed i can take it back and just get my money and call it quits there i really like it.

just wanted to say cheers for all your help guys ill Will update if any one wants to know the out come, also just want to put it out there I\'m a powder coater so if any one is looking to have some stuff painted or knows any one that is feel free to hit me up cheers

yeah hes messing me around now so I\'ve demanded my money back hes no longer replying to me and not telling me where the car is so I\'ve said I\'ve had enough and want a refund, i don\'t have the time or effort to put up with dodgy car dealers so as soon as i have the cash ill be back in the car market again.

Take it back, nz new doesn\'t make it any more rarer...Maybe in 10-15 years if your planning on keeping it like the ol 89 legacy rs. Otherwise it isn\'t rare enough, most likely will be a cheaper/better deal come up. On here some amazing deals come up ;)

Already got a rollcaged gc8 in chch also haha, more of a want then a need...As I also have that wrx to pay for as my mechanic is madway through my new setup, got a massive wiring mission ahead of him which plus on top of ps4/xbox one cost wises is an expensive month. ;D

WRXER said:

Already got a rollcaged gc8 in chch also haha, more of a want then a need...As I also have that wrx to pay for as my mechanic is madway through my new setup, got a massive wiring mission ahead of him which plus on top of ps4/xbox one cost wises is an expensive month. ;D

f u and all your monies :D

ADIKT']

[quote name='WRXER said:

/quote]f u and all your monies :D

no no i think thats the point, hes going to have no monies. ;D

funkytown']

[quote name='WRXER said:

/quote]f u and all your monies :D

no no i think thats the point, hes going to have no monies. ;D

lol need monies to spend monies!

• 2 weeks later...

lol need monies to spend monies!

Also need monies to make monies ;)

evowrx said:

Personally I would prefer to be paid out the value of his mechanics quote tbh then get it done yourself. Or leave it with him and get a full refund.

Agree

I would have tried for the first option.. failing that the second..

Cost for rebuild is not 8g, thats just laughable..

Keep in mind if you rebuild then the engines new again and you can make the improvement you need for future proofing with upgraded parts. You might buy another car and have it blow just after warranty expires.. But chances of buying a cheap rebuilt one are very slim.

8g on a rebuild.. that sounds like a good deal. know you get a squeaky and professionally assembled motor then. 4 is laughable.

of course it all depends on the mechanic and how he\'s choosing to spend the budget.

4 buys you a plain shortblock with out heads or any seals / gaskets / cambelt etc.

Agreed, 4k is not a BAD rebuild anymore than 8k is an EXPENSIVE rebuild.

What they are is simply a rebuild to different levels.

One will simply be replacing the core parts that may have been damaged and the other will be more through involving replacing things that have not been damaged by the engine failure but could easily be replaced now while the car is apart so the owner has an entirely new engine rather than just a fixed old engine.

Different strokes etc, nothing wrong with either, just different approaches, short term saving vs long term gain