Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Oil Cooler Setups

nismovzr2003

Hey Guys,

After ideas, peoples thoughts regarding aftermarket oil coolers over factory fitted.

Is it best to remove the factory fitted cooler and simply run an external cooler up front?

thermostatically controlled or stay away from those?

Best place to mount external cooler, does orientation matter, i.e which way the fittings on the external cooler are facing?

Sandwich plates, whats best for Subarus, the ones with fittings angled out from the adapter plate or mounted directly out the side?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Don\'t remove the standard heat exchanger... it\'s important for getting the oil up to a good temperature.

You will need a thermostat or the ability to block airflow to the cooler when not racing... or your oil will be

too cool.

keep your oil modine <- this is the proper name for the factory unit.

if you keep the modine just run an oil cooler off a sandwhich plate -> no external thermostat required.

if you remove the factory oil modine -> run an external oil thermostat.

usually 15-19row cooler is good. and it will take a bit longer for your car to run up to temp in the mornings.

• Admin

Looking at getting an oil cooler for mine as I\'m running a solely oil cooled turbo and I don\'t want it to cook my oil...

Running a sandwich plate, don\'t the lines have to sneak out around your headers? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

there are multiple ways of doing it Logan, and yes mine do, as to tonys. Lukes go a different way.

Aftermarket & HPC coated headers means that with the fire and heat repelling sleeve to go over my oil lines i can get out between the headers and block no issue :)

turbos do super cook oil to fwiw.

funkytown']

[quote name='soopersubaru said:

Oil too cold =Bad. Oil too hot =Bad. Modine = perfect. Monitor it with a temp probe and see!..

/quote]

on a factory car under normal road going conditions.

factory modine anywhere near a closed road or track event = oil cooked REAL fast.

Yep the turbo cooks it. Cooks it even quicker when racing too.! However the temp in the sump changes no more than 20 degrees. "C"

No amount of after market cooling ness will affect/stop this...ummmmm. call it a turbo car Issue?

Trent']

So funky are you saying that the factory modine shud be removed the car is to be raced?

nah not it at all.. subarus that get worked hard where its not open road speeds need oil coolers. The modine is good in a factory car and also in most track cars, does lots of good things.

but also refer to what i said earlier...

[quote name='funkytown said:

keep your oil modine <- this is the proper name for the factory unit.

if you keep the modine just run an oil cooler off a sandwhich plate -> u]no external thermostat required[/u].

if you remove the factory oil modine -> run an external oil thermostat

usually 15-19row cooler is good. and it will take a bit longer for your car to run up to temp in the mornings.