Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Engine Failure ALREADY!

Ben

Hi guys,

Bit dissapointed. 2000km's down the road from purchasing my first turbo subaru i have my first engine problem.

80km's in 3rd gear joining motorway i lose all acceleration / rev's fluctuate all over the place / engine dies and have to resort to a rolling stop followed by engine check lights etc.

Call the AA out, cant fix the problem. Engine turns over fine and compression in all cylinder's but wont start - Checked all fuses / gave fuel pump a slap / tried putting some starter additive into the engine all with no luck.

So after 2000kms its already in with Subaru who plan to check it out on Monday. Hopefully it's nothing major but i am sceptical.

NOT happy :-[

i bought my car from a dealer in chch and it did a thing similar about 20mins into the 8 hour drive home to invers. after aa arrived it started again and i made it all the way home before it died again.

the fuel pump wiring under the back seat had burned out cutting power to the fuel pump whenever it felt like it

Yeah the AA guy mentioned a possible burnt out electrical wire to the fuel pump. Didn't get time to check the codes being thrown out - Even if i did i would probably be sending it to get fixed any way (my time is limited these days).

Ben said:

Hi guys,

Bit dissapointed. 2000km's down the road from purchasing my first turbo subaru i have my first engine problem.

80km's in 3rd gear joining motorway i lose all acceleration / rev's fluctuate all over the place / engine dies and have to resort to a rolling stop followed by engine check lights etc.

Call the AA out, cant fix the problem. Engine turns over fine and compression in all cylinder's but wont start - Checked all fuses / gave fuel pump a slap / tried putting some starter additive into the engine all with no luck.

So after 2000kms its already in with Subaru who plan to check it out on Monday. Hopefully it's nothing major but i am sceptical.

What year? Car/model?

Guest boostin

Its not often that fuel pumps die on those. Could be a cam or crank angle sensor too.

Check your fault codes. No codes would point at fuel pump.

Ben said:

Hi guys,

Mine did this once but i had blowen the afm.

Exact same symptoms.

Guest keltik

Easy test would be to unplug AFM and see if it runs. I know the earlier ones up to 96 would run fine without a AFM

Ok guys. Got car back from subaru last night, running great again.

Just FYI, below show's the service invoice:

check vehicle for not starting

carry out diag tests

code 13 camshaft pos sensor fault in memory

code 24 idle speed control valve (stuck)

supply and fit new cam pos sensor - still no good

follow test proceedures

check cam sensor input signal at ECU with osilloscope - no good

check input signal of cam sensor wire - OK

carry out continuity test from sensor to ECU - 1 wire ok, 1 wire open circut

trace fault back to engine room harness not properly plugged in

re plug in - all OK , clear memory and road test - positive result

NOTE

if vehicle developes idling problems, recommend replacing - idle speed control valve [in memory old fault]

Guest dynofiend

Reading fault codes should not be the soul preserve of the dealer. Neither should using a multitester on the wiring. Mind you, I have to admire the sheer logic of the fault finding process in this case.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1990_RS
 DRFVDR said:

U read it wrong

it was $34 to wiggle the wire

$400 to know which wire to wiggle :)

Haha sounds about right with mechanics these days.