Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

v3/4 - how much oil to use?

jsan083

Hi,

I have a sti v3 or 4 in my impreza and want to know how much oil i should put when doing an oil change? reading through the forum i found 4.5litres is recommended. But on my dip stick when i put 4 litres, its already on the top hole on stick. Should i add more and go over that?

Thanks,

Josh

Yes you can add an extra 500ml\'s without any problems..people have been known to put in 5 liters in total..

Dont overdo it though or you can create new issues..

BEB failure is not uncommon on these engines for various reasons but changing your oil and filter every 5000 k\'s is a good move..

What oil are you putting in ?

jsan083 said:

Hi,

I have a sti v3 or 4 in my impreza and want to know how much oil i should put when doing an oil change? reading through the forum i found 4.5litres is recommended. But on my dip stick when i put 4 litres, its already on the top hole on stick. Should i add more and go over that?

Thanks,

Josh

between the top hole in the stick and the twist in the neck is a good place. slightly overfull but not to much as noted above.

4-5l is the right amount in a stock sump.. just go by what the dipstick is telling you.

Ya don\'t get much spare from a 5 litre when say the engine has just been rebuilt, But the usual oil change is just over 4 litre so best to grab a 5 litre pack..

I personally fill to the notch above the 2 holes and prime the engine on a dry filter then check it again, after the oil filter fills up its about at the top hole where it should be

just topped it up a little to get it just the slightest over the top hole. not sure it made much of a difference. bought a couple bottles of magnatec went on sale few weeks ago so topping up was no problem.

any advantage using castrol edge 5-30 over magnatec 10w-40. i see repco selling castrol edge for $55 for 5l

jsan083 said:

just topped it up a little to get it just the slightest over the top hole. not sure it made much of a difference. bought a couple bottles of magnatec went on sale few weeks ago so topping up was no problem.

any advantage using castrol edge 5-30 over magnatec 10w-40. i see repco selling castrol edge for $55 for 5l

Castrol edge 5w-30 is fully syn and magnatec is semi(apples and oranges) Castrol edge would be the best. go to supersheep and get them to price beat repco.. think its like 5% cheaper?

jsan083 said:

Edge is definitely the way to go as hijacka said, fully synthetic vs semi.

Yeah.. I capitalized on that deal.

Just as my oil change was due too!

It was like $55 bux down from $85..

hijacka']

[quote name='Roo said:

I ran 5l of 10w-60 edge and it was spot on

/quote]

What in.. and how many kms? would seem a little thick for our engines wouldn\'t it?

V3 sti with 200k on it. I liked the idea of a thicker oil esp when km\'s start getting up, supposedly brings oil speed down a bit to help keep oil around the bearings

Not uncommon with boy racers to run 10W60 need a fully hectic oil and filter when you have a fully hectic RB. I know of a few cars that ran on it with no dramas but wouldn\'t bother myself. How often do you actually hear of a vehicle failing purely thro an oil issue that isn\'t lack of maintenance?