Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

STi Wheel Bearing Replacement

lagbort

Who would be the best to go to to get the front left wheel bearing replaced in my V7?

Still tossing up whether to drop it off somewhere for the whole job or take the hub off and just take that down to have the bearing replaced?

Cheers

• Admin
 lagbort said:

I cant even wiggle the wheel but it is starting to make a squeak when I turn right so hopefully I have caught it early enough

Yeah that\'s about where mine was :( Hope yours is in better condition.

my hub was totally f**ked, only made the slightest of whurring when cornering.

best bet is to get a second hand hub assembly and have the bearing replaced in that, then swap it out. strongs quoted me $300 or there abouts for the hub assembly, and new bearing kit should be about $150 from wingers.

don\'t get a new hub through wingers, last time i asked they were wanting 980 +gst +shipping ex japan eta 6-8 weeks

Geez sounds like some horror stories first off the bearing that came from subaru greenlane was an skf bearing which was the exact same bearing from autostop with auto stop being 40 bucks cheaper or a full 75 cheaper if you can get trade prices, not sure if the 2 seals were any different between the 2 but from what I saw they looked the same.

The first time I did the front left I Pressed the bearings out myself at work which was an easy job I also had the engineer at work check the hub and the assembly make sure nothing wasn\'t outtta shape.

The second time I was on holiday so just payed some engineering shop to do it for me which cost about 120 bucks, be sure to loctite the hub nut back on punch it back in and torque it to 219nm or 167ftlbs in the old money I think

*Sigh*, so the mechanic looked at it today, and says he doesn\'t think there is anything wrong with the bearing.

So back to square 1, wtf is causing a squeaking when I turn right, not all the time and only when the wheel is loaded?

lagbort said:

*Sigh*, so the mechanic looked at it today, and says he doesn\'t think there is anything wrong with the bearing.

So back to square 1, wtf is causing a squeaking when I turn right, not all the time and only when the wheel is loaded?

I had a similar sounding issue with mine, cracked hub, bearing was still fine and vtnz didn\'t pick it up on their wof check. Surely the mechanic would\'ve picked that up though?

replace the bearing anyway. for the sake of $90 or whatever they are, you took the time to get the hub out.

You can make your own press btw.

10 ton bottle jack and some timber will see you right.

simple timber frame with a 90 x 90 post across the top with a hanger for the jack. easy.

my bearing was a really quiet rumble on right turns, and made this really weird squeaking crunch up my driveway which echos like no ones business.

result was a totally shagged hub.

marc (subie mechanical guru) has stated elsewhere, and to me personally that wheel bearings in subies can be a bastard to diagnose if you havnt seen one, and even if you have it can be interesting...