Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Alarm Choice

chrisjunkie

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a new Legacy GTB 1998 and for my insurance to valid I need a 5 star alarm. I believe that they need to be installed by NZSA approved installers?

I looked at AVS S5's and think they look really good but when I rang Winger Subaru to get a quote for cambelt, they said that they install Dynatron's in all new Subarus.

What I want to know is what you guys have in your precious subbies to keep thieves away!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

chrisjunkie said:

Dynatron's in all new Subarus.

That's strange... because all the Alarms that we get supplied with by Subaru NZ to put in their cars are Mongoose ones!

I rate the Mongoose M80G/09... any alarm is only as good as in the installer though, and my one did a bloody good job of it.

Guest boostin

Personal choice really.

I like Dynatron, but then AVS are club sponsors and their alarms have inbuilt turbo timers.

Up to you....

Guest boostin
 Hopai']

[quote name='chrisjunkie said:

Dynatron's in all new Subarus.

/quote]

That's strange... because all the Alarms that we get supplied with by Subaru NZ to put in their cars are Mongoose ones!

I rate the Mongoose M80G/09... any alarm is only as good as in the installer though, and my one did a bloody good job of it.

Subaru NZ fit Mongoose, Wingers fit Dynatron.

chrisjunkie said:

I really like the AVS inbuilt turbo timer which I think is such a good idea!

My M80G/09 has a built in turbo timer too!.. i'm pretty sure some of the new Dynatron's do as well.

My car went for a wander with a 5-star Mongoose (M60G). Found a week later in Meadowbank after the thieves got bored of doing handbrake drifties.

Dynatron or AVS ftw... Mongoose hasn't served me well.

Ok so no mongoose then. AVS are a bit more expensive than the dynatron but I have found a place that will sell completely installed for $520. (NZSA Accredited)

I talked to someone else and they said they can install the Dynatron for me for $450 - 500 depending on the model and said that the dynatron's are harder to hot wire as all the wires are black???

Ideas?

nzkaosnz']

[quote name='Hopai said:

... any alarm is only as good as in the installer though

/quote]

totally... would be so good to know how to install an alarm, even how to change it, get someone credited to install it then change it to your own custom alarm,

Think of how easly someone who wired your alarm up could grab your number plate and wait 6 months then know how to break in with easy

Guest boostin

Nice. Most installers are mobile these days anyway, and I'm pretty sure all black wiring is a requirement of 5 star alarms too.

I'm pretty happy with my AVS except for the beeper button which is easy to push in your pocket as you walk away from the car. I think they have since changed the design of the beeper now though.

The last Mongoose I dealt if in a borrowed car seemed to go off with false alarms all the time, not an issue with my AVS.

Also go for the SMS option and your car txt's you if anyone messes with it (or the battery is going flat - quite useful). Keeping a baseball bat handy is a good idea if your going to run outside at night after a txt.

Either Dynatron or AVS. Mongoose aren't as good as they used to be, fitted a M60B or M60G & i believed it to be only 4 star as they used some coloured wires in the loom. Uniden I don't even consider, and would never fit to a subaru - maybe ok in a run-about car as I had one in my toyota.

But Dynatron, rebadged Dynamco/Cyclops units are actually Australian designed and manufactured in China; whereas AVS are designed in NZ (as stated above), the location of manufacture is debatable (most likely China)

Meridian are possibly also used by car dealers; I've seen some very professionally fitted - the alarms themselves always seem to develop faults though, be it the immobilzers or locking trigger signals.

The Dynatron do also have the onboard turbo timer for preset time of either 1 or 3 mins, the chip used to be an extra $3.86+GST though (which i don't consider a huge cost) given the cost of the alarm - although external TT's are preferred as they have multiple settings, usually about 2.

caralarm.co.nz (Automotive Security Systems)- $520 installed but paid $580 to get central locking as well. No point getting an alarm without it.

Free mobile call out and the guy did it very professionally and even jump started my car after it went flat from the inside light being on for too long! In fact the alarm was actually installed in a pay and display carpark. He was more than willing to do it there and then. HIGHLY RECOMMEND AUTOMOTIVE SECURITY SYSTEMS!!!!

Cheers

Chris

chrisjunkie said:

caralarm.co.nz (Automotive Security Systems)- $520 installed but paid $580 to get central locking as well. No point getting an alarm without it.

Free mobile call out and the guy did it very professionally and even jump started my car after it went flat from the inside light being on for too long! In fact the alarm was actually installed in a pay and display carpark. He was more than willing to do it there and then. HIGHLY RECOMMEND AUTOMOTIVE SECURITY SYSTEMS!!!!

Cheers

Chris

$520? It says $649 here - http://caralarm.co.nz/go2/Avs_alarm_S5/