Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

insurance Query someone hit me!! '94 legacy rs/gts type 2

dvssub2.0

Hi guys well..... Im new mist the last meet as I had family things on and it looks like the old girl wont make to the next on either!! Well as the title say's I've been hit the other driver is at fault and I haven't dealt with this before. His insurance company has admitted fault. He pulled an illegal right hand turn across three lanes! Any who I have done all the work on the car with the help of sum amazing friends! I have bought parts off them been gifted them and of course used trademe to get something's. Market value this is the a problem for me!!!!! These 1994 legacy rs/gts type 2 with manual conversion are not easy to get and at there market value imposable! I guess what I am asking is has any one being in this situation before and have any advise. As I had diff heads, brake, turbo, suspension....... the list just goes on and on. I have sum recites as scribe would say "not may if any" As I always saw them as evidence and the misses would not be quite so happy if she really knew what things cost! What do I do am I in for a big loose. Or if I can show it on the car do they need to replace it with some thing from strongs!!! I will attach the few pic's I have I didn't take many I now have nothing...... Well all the pics are to big hhhhhmmmm not my day! Any help greatly appreciated!

I have read the thread but cannot tell if you have insurance, I'm guessing you do. But my experience would be that their insurance company would get an assessor to have have a look at the condition of the car and then work out a Value and depending on the policy it will either be market value or sum insured, this is where it gets tricky as my policy I found was what ever was less (my girlfriends is the other way round!). And as the Insurance company was the same for both cars for my accident they screwed me big time and said market value was half of sum insured, you can get an independent evaluation at your own cost but with mine they would then split the difference between my valuation and theirs. If in doubt or feeling ripped off you can always call the Insurance Ombudsmen for advice.

• General Member

yea bit hard to make out, whats the question exactly?

did you fix the car or are you waiting to see if they will fix it, what sort of damage have you suffered, are you wanting a value put on your car?

welcome to CS btw 1st poster

check here for "how to post pics"

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/forumdisplay.php?145-Forums-How-To-s

Edited by Joker

What you should always do is ring the police and get a incident report at the crash scene and get a witness or 2 details,

You should take it in to a panel shop of your choice if its driveable and get a repair quote, Don't drive it around though as the kms might be noted down.. they may not give you details of the repair cost right away as they will have to price everything up and that can take time. next you get hold of there insurance company and get them to get there assessor to assess the damage and repair cost.. if they seem hesitant then you ask them if they will pay for the repair and if you are covered under thehis policy(yes or no) if not then you ask them for it in writing and the reason why they will not pay so you can take it to small claims court where the person at fault will be liable for repair costs, and court cost, your lawyer fees and other fees you can put on top.. usually insurance companys need this push but it works. I've been in this situation before and it can work to your advantage.

Don't strip anything off it.. make a list of the modds you have done and the value of those modds.. you might find that the insurance company will let you keep the car and pay you out for it if the modds exceed the value of the car.

Edited by hijacka

DacerX said:
What is the market value or a gt type s2? as far as i know its the same as a normal gt or rs. At least thats what my insurance company told me when i was doing insurance for my GTS2 and GT wagon

Yeah not much imo i would say 3-4g couldn't see it being over 4g Davo

While it might hold some nostalgia value to you those gt s2 are pretty much just a stock standard rs in terms of value. Moeny spent doesn't mean the car is worth what's been spent on it. Sad but true. You'll be lucky to get anything more than 3k unless it's in exceptional condition. I would take the payout and keep the car, remove the modded parts ect out of it and scrap it (unless it's fixable of course! in which case def fix it). It's worth arguing your case that the car has had a money spent on it to push the value up.

Insurance doesn't cover mods not noted down on your policy. I recommend getting a valuation on the vehicle and maybe by someone who actually knows what an s2 is (e.g a subaru dealership).

Absolutely don't give in and accept a lesser some than it's worth though! 3-4k would get a tidy stockish example so keep that in mind. Oh and if you have insurance be sure to ring them to get there point of view on it. Worst case scenario you can claim on your insurance and let them battle it out

Also for your own reference - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=805596744

Edited by slystiguy

Thats Tidy and very low kms im supprised Dave hasn't added it to his collection lol, Just to add to whats been said if the insurance company pays you out and you retain your car then its very likely you will have to deregester the car as part of that agreement (well at least i had too)

OH WOW, dude im so sorry to hear that.

Ive been in a similar situation before, where the other guy was to blame and I got payed out. (you always do when its not your fault).

Sadly though, most insurance companies pay the 'market value' of the vehicle and they don't seem to care about personal valuation and rarely take performance upgrades into account either

I was lucky in my case because the parts I bought were not yet installed, besides which, it wasn't a write off.

I cant speak on your behalf, but I would definitely touch base with the insurance company to clarify exactly what the settlement figure is.

Nothing is certain until you know, so don't conclusion jump at this point, Just make some calls and go from there. They could end up making an exception if you have enough proof of purchase.

I Hope all ends up going well for you man.

I know it might cost a little money, but it might pay to give a lawyer a call too if you can just to make sure you know exactly what your rights are. You may be able to go through small claims court if you are not happy with the outcome, or through the insurance ombudsman. His insurance company will be looking to pay out the least amount possible and will screw you over if you don't know your rights.

Short version - an older legacy which has been modified, is never going to be worth a hell of a lot especially to an insurance valuer. Other than alloy wheels most things don't really increase value to an insurer/yard and it's hard to find a "market price" for a 20 year old car with a 90% bogan ownership rate

Good luck but don't hold your breath for it to go much past 3k