Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Can I Even Upgrade my Stereo?

BLazeD

There is a kit available for doing that; it consists of a replacement surround with a single-DIN cutout and a different climate panel. There were some going on Trade Me earlier this year, try looking there.

avgeek said:

There is a kit available for doing that; it consists of a replacement surround with a single-DIN cutout and a different climate panel. There were some going on Trade Me earlier this year, try looking there.

I had a similar setup in my 2003 Skyline. I ordered a double din faceplate from the dealer. I had initially ordered a kit off eBay but it looked like crap, paint finish and the quality of some of the buttons didnt match the OE finish. So I ended up paying $900 for a genuine one from Nissan, fit and finish is perfect.

The Skyline one is expensive because you have to get a new climate control display, buttons and circuit board. The Subaru one might be heaps cheaper depending on the setup behind the dash panel.

japanparts.com do a kit called "AV Panel Set", part number 107-209-006, about $500 + shipping. Its expensive because it includes a replacement A/C unit. You cant separate the current A/C unit from the stereo.

A few people in the US on legacygt.com have purchased them.

A local audio shop I spoke to could also get them through one of their suppliers (about $600)

Thanks guys.

One more thing - is there any way to tell if there is an RCA input or something, so I can connect my iPod to the factory stereo? Or would I be stuck with using a iPod radio tuner device (what's the best btw)?

BLazeD said:

Thanks guys.

One more thing - is there any way to tell if there is an RCA input or something, so I can connect my iPod to the factory stereo? Or would I be stuck with using a iPod radio tuner device (what's the best btw)?

In my experiance with both a Belkin and the Itrip is that they suck,interference is bad

signal comes and goes....

find a better option is my suggestion

southernman said:

I got an ipod in for mine but it's a mcintosh with the 6 cd changer input which meant I could use this for the input.

Mines factory, but got a 6 CD changer too - does this mean there is an input I could use too?

Cheers

There's a genuine facia kit available from Subaru NZ, it's pricey though because of Kenwood charging an arm and a leg for the AC controller and the NZ Exchange rate at the moment (quick check tells me $1,105.61+ GST)

As for iPod input, if you have a NZ New facelift model (05 onwards) then there is a Aux input kit available that can be installed by a Dealer.

I've done 3 or 4 headunit conversions on the later model cars (including my old BP5 GTB), they can be a royal pain in the ass if they have the factory amp / subwoofer because it's a digital signal from the headunit to the amp, but it's nothing you can't get around with a bit of work, a replacment amp and a couple of resistors.

I've got my stereo out at the moment. There is one square socket there which I believe is for a cd changer. You may be able to get a cable for it. Will take some photos.

Here is my stereo, I think the BL5 models are black and BP5's Silver?

stereo1_zpse36963c4.jpg

Here is the back of the stereo. There is one spare socket on the top right. It is a 13pin socket

stereo2_zps800a5926.jpg

Close up

stereo3_zpsfa7780dc.jpg

I've messaged a guy to see if he has a supply of them. He does older round plug mcIntosh cables

Guest keltik

The square ones are for a Clarion CeNet system. My CeNet 6 disc changer is up for sale. There IS an ipod to CeNet cable but its about $140 last time i looked

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
 DRFVDR']

[quote name='spark_38 said:

url]http://edsauto.co.nz/images/PDF_Catalogue/Eds%20Catalogue%20Oct%2009.pdf[/url]

Page 21, bottom left. Avail in both grey and black

These guys are located in Auckland

It can't hurt to ask for a price

OH MY GOD they got some shiz in that catalogue :) found heaps of wants :)

Yes, they supply pretty much all the bits for car audio shops/installers, even ripco/supercrap prob get some obsure bits from them that aren't avail from digital logistics.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been through the same problem with my BP, turned into bit of a nightmare. I originally just wanted to plug in an Ipod to the factory setup.. and bought a Harmon Kardon drive and play, waste of time and as there is no aux input in the standard unit, the FM modulator was the only option, and that was very average. I ended up bypassing the whole system and mounting an ipod only headunit in the top vent pocket, and it works great.

The double din conversion panels are very expensive and this is by far the cheapest option, from AVOJDM the genuine Subaru kits for this end up costing about $160 shipped ex Japan. They say 04+ but im sure the 03 is the same fitment.

http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_54_60&products_id=115

and as you have the non nav model with the standard pocket size (unlike me, as I have to fill in a gap around edges) it will be a direct swap and look almost factory.

This way you can easily convert back to factory and take the after market headunit with you when you sell the car.

Edit: just realised this original post was from 09', oh well might help someone else now.