Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×

is stock turbo heatshield necessary?

OSH

Honestly, it is better to have it. Before i stuck a head shield on my cluch master cyl, i had my clutch go soft and limp after a boost. I figured out eventually it was the turbo boiling the clutch fluid. There's also the turbo's proximity to the TMIC...

But i don't have one for my turbo... and i'm not about to go out and buy one. My turbo didn't come with one, so meh.

John_Polish said:

i own a 1991 rs and it has that stock heatshield, can i take it off or does it need to be there? john

Doesn't NEED to have it on, doesn't hurt to have it on either...

Why you looking at removing it?

mine doesn't as when i brought the car there was not one on there, otherwise i would have one.. looking at getting one of those cooling things tho

BC5RA said:

There vented heat shield on Gen1 legacy's is to let heat out while stationary.

Have seen testing with and without it fitted with a heat probe in all possible areas; best leave it on.

I agree, I finally got around to fitting one from a later model subaru onto my RS so that it is now a heat shield rather than a chimney (strut brace gets in way of my chimney). It's stopped boiling my brake fluid after a good thrashing now. The heat definately doesn't do good things in your engine bay.