Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

AVO cast downpipe bellmouth

Andy_Mac

Thats not a bellmouth . Thats a divorced down pipe . Bell mouth is open .

Lol cat converter . Yea they are awesome . You pull them out and your car goes better and the scrappy gives you $40

Maybe in Australia you put them on your car .

Who here has ever been turned town a wof for not having a cat ?

• Admin

You talking about the AVO one? Yea sure technically it is divorced. I would consider the subtech one to be truly divorced, the AVO's just a bellmouth with a bit of steel/iron chucked in the centre.

Kinda want to go without but not sure how anal they actually are.

Cars first registered in nz after 1 Jan 2010 "must be maintained in a condition that they will pass an emissions test on requirement" or words to that effect.

While you'll get away with it, it'll sting you eventually.

Im considering chopping out all 3 cats on the bpe, replacing with a 2.5 to the midpipe collector and sticking a cat into the midpipe

• Admin

Thats the one, knew it was sometime in 2010.

Aren't the 3.0r's supposed to get rather raspy without the stock cats? Will a single high flow one have the same noise reduction potential.

How effective are they if they get moved further down the exhaust? Could do something similar for mine and just get a catless downpipe made. Have access to a good welder and someone who could easily weld a cat into a midpipe, or even the lower portion of the downpipe, just doesn't have the equipment to make a full downpipe without it compromising almost completely of welded bends which would cost more than getting it done right.

While on the exhaust topic, any idea at what point the stock mufflers would become a restriction? Read a rough guideline on it on the aussie forum a while back but can't seem to find it.

Also is there any benefit to getting a full midpipe made up whilst keeping the stock mufflers?

Edited by Andy_Mac

On yours, 3 inch turbo back ftw. The lower the back pressure the better

3.5 or 4 is a bit overkill tbh, benefits vs cost, nope.

3 inch turbo back helps with spool, especially one with a well planned out divorced downpipe, as the re-merging of the wastegate pipe can create almost a vacuum behind the turbo.

If I was in your position, i'd grab one of the subtech downpipes and run that until someone complains. Just keep your factory system handy

• Admin

Subtech is only 2.5inch though, excluding the wastgate pipe size. From looking at pics at the top of the Subtech one I think it'd be damn tight getting a 3inch pipe to fit nicely on that flange. I'll have another chat to Tony and see what he can do a catless divorced one for. Most of the original cost was buying/installing the cat and making up the bellmouth. Still really want the Invidia catback but just can't justify it with the other plans going on at the moment. But thats a 3inch up to the Y

• Admin

I would plan to go bigger, but not anytime soon.

Trying to get hold of Murch to see what of gains he can make whilst keeping the stock turbine housing.

Can't really aim all that much higher without a engine spruce up anyway.

Na short of maybe cutting the head off it and making something for the new shape it won't match with anything else.

• Admin

Feck the stock turbine housing, waste of time. Go big or go home, otherwise you'll be spending almost the same money for bugger all gain.

Anything that fits Subaru stock flanges is basically a Barbie-doll hairdryer.

EDIT: With the exception of a few American Garret hybrid thingers but none of them fit Legacies anyway.

• Admin

So for interests sake, where would you say the max safe power level is for an open deck block with cast/maybe hypereutectic pistons? 200-220kw? Doing a front mount soonish, well as soon as I can get into pro wholesale to see what prices he can do since rhey were closed last week.

Would love to do what knockoutgiant is doing with semi closed deck 257 shortblock and my heads but thats not viable or needed at this point.