Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ignition repair / replacement after attempted theft

tikt

Hi,

Not quite sure what category this would come under. On friday night i left my lighter in the car.. i went out to get it and caught some a**hole about 10 seconds away from taking my gc8 version 5 sti.

Somehow he got past my AVS s5 alarm/immobilizer without touching it / setting it off (interesting to find out how), smashed my ignition barrel and was literally 1 click from starting it.

I have lost all faith in the AVS alarm and will be replacing it with a decent alarm. Has anyone had experience with repairing a smashed ignition? or maybe something a bit more secure than a stupid ignition that can be defeated by vice grips (some type of secure remote/push button start that cannot be hot wired).

I have spent way to much time and money on my car for some punk to steal it for a joyride/stripping it.

I am lucky that i saved my car but now i am paranoid they will be back to finish the job.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

• Admin

Somewhat unstealable? Concrete box with a bookroom door, if they really really want it they'll tow it away.

As for "conventionally" stealing it, a decent 3 circuit immobiliser or a 2-circuit one really well installed should stop 99% of thieves.

Pro-tip, don't bother putting a cut on the starter circuit, it's a manual car, they'll just push/tow/crash start it.

If the install is done REALLY well there will be 2 cuts in the wire per circuit as well, i.e. even if you find where the alarm is wired in at one end of the circuit you can't just twist the wires together.

Personally for a somewhat boring car I'd say do a cut on the IGN circuit and the fuel pump controller, no fuel no power it's not going anywhere fast.

If you have more immobilisers to play with and want to get creative there are a whole lot of other circuits you can interrupt to stop a car being driven... for example it's not going to send any spark if it doesn't know where the crank is.

• General Member

far out,

Plan A :new ign from Pap & a good lock smith should be able to make it match your key << I recommend this

otherwise Plan B a whole new set from Pap & spend a few hours replacing every lock

other than that good immobiliser & Insurance + GPS locks only keep the honest people out & 'they' will always find a way if they want it bad enough sad to say :/

Thanks for the advice guys.

The AVS GPS tracker saved me a $1800 excess from NAC... unit just paid for itself a few times over.

Police advised a steering wheel lock as well just to add another layer of protection/deterant

• Admin
 tikt said:
Thanks for the advice guys.

The AVS GPS tracker saved me a $1800 excess from NAC... unit just paid for itself a few times over.

Police advised a steering wheel lock as well just to add another layer of protection/deterant

Steering lock is a waste of time against an experienced crim, but might stop a cracked out P-fiend.

• General Member

I liked the car-bait program that was on once & the guy cut thru the steering wheel with a hacksaw, bent it & removed the lock in a couple or 10 seconds

"tools for conversion" charge tho '_if_' you're caught carrying something like that around town...