Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Pretty confused newbie - any help appreciated

ojc2

Hi guys,

Please bare with me, I am super noob when it comes to Subaru's I have never owned one until now. I have just purchased a 2007 JDM STI hatch from a member here and couldn't be happier with it. I just had a few questions that I was hoping some of you could answer.

I ran a car jam report before buying, of which everything was perfect. The car is registered in NZ as a 2007 model however the model number in the report is GRB ##### according to a google search I did this makes it a 2008 version? So is this a v11?

The reason I ask is that I am starting to look at some mods such as exhaust systems and whatnot and they seem to vary slightly depending on year and version, I don't want to inadvertently order the wrong thing, especially if it is from overseas.

The other question I had is regarding the brakes. At low speed ie, less than 10km especially when coming to a stop at traffic lights they make a horrible screech. Some sites I have seen say this is normal with higher end brembos. Is this correct or is there anything I need to do to mitigate it as it is pretty damn loud? Finally sometimes when sharp turning at low speed there is also a loud noise that seems to be a belt rather than the brake noise, further google searches have said that people have found this to be a loose/worn out alternator belt. Has anyone else had this experience?

In your guys opinions what would I be best to do? I have had the most fun weekend driving in my life having completely filled the petrol tank 3 times since Saturday arvo and this morning haha,

Edited by ojc2

The belt screech I would have thought to be power steering belt. You could look there first to see if it is worn/ cracked or just loose.

The brake squeal could be to do with the pads. Did the previous owner mention what they were? More likely is that the plates on the back of them are vibrating against each other at certain resonant frequencies. If you are comfortable taking pads out, you could try putting some of that goo automotive stores sell to the backing plates which dampens vibration.

The version thing is pretty colloquial. In NZ we typically call the "Hawkeye" a V10, and the hatchbacks V11. After that version it gets a bit muddier and people typically refer back to the model codes. For your car I'd shop on model code. Hope that helps.

The grb is a V11, yes.

They started production on the my08 chassis in about September 2007, so yes your car is registered correctly.

My old grb had squeeling issues with brakes, I put that down to the fact that I had agressive as f**k pads, and because brembos.

Take the car in to wingers and check that the ecu recall update has been done, if it hasnt then pm me i have a copy of the update. They lean out at high rpms and blow themself to bits.

Also, keep a damn good eye on your oil, oil changes every 5000kms

Thanks for the advice guys you are all tops, glad I joined this forum 2 years ago to buy a wrx as the sti was out of the question then I end up getting one haha. I will take it down to winger to have a look at the breaks as I don't really have anywhere suitable to jack it up and take the wheels off. The belts I should be able to do easily enough

evowrx']Try subirex automotive dude. Tell him clint from clubsub sent you. He will sort you out and also 15% off for clubsub members iirc. He was a master tech at wingers for 10 years or so.

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

+1 for subiwrx, ajays the man!!

Awesome, thanks for the heads up guys :) I really appreciate it.

• Admin

Just an fyi, because no-one seems to mention it here or anywhere.

New Zealanders are bloody horrible at brake servicing. They seem to think changing their pads / rotors / fluids is where it should stop and never do anything more.

What can cause that brake noise is uneven wear due to the calipers not being serviced etc. Basically the pistons inside the caliper move unevenly or too much pressure or too little etc.

You get the picture.

Calipers reconditioned if it is them, should solve it.

Another point is that yes it's probably the belt, however it could be the P/S pump that's creating the noise, as it may be on it's way out.

Dairusire said:
Just an fyi, because no-one seems to mention it here or anywhere.

New Zealanders are bloody horrible at brake servicing. They seem to think changing their pads / rotors / fluids is where it should stop and never do anything more.

What can cause that brake noise is uneven wear due to the calipers not being serviced etc. Basically the pistons inside the caliper move unevenly or too much pressure or too little etc.

You get the picture.

Calipers reconditioned if it is them, should solve it.

Another point is that yes it's probably the belt, however it could be the P/S pump that's creating the noise, as it may be on it's way out.

Yes I am getting the whole brake setup inspected next week. The brake noise seems to be coming from the rear as I tested by slowly rolling and then applied the hand brake and the noise was still made (not sure how scientific this test is though). The belt/pump? squeal pretty much only occurs on full turn lock. I had a mechanic mate look at the belts, the power steering one was starting to fray/small splits, it will also be replaced next week so will hopefully clear that one up.

Another question I had, I am yet to check to see if there is a timing belt replacement sticker but I don't think there is. The car is coming up to 70,000km but is older than 5 years, Being a JDM I highly doubt it has been replaced. Would it be best off replacing the timing belt and water pump now or at least have it inspected or wait til it is closer to the 95-98k mark?

I know it is an expensive job but a rebuild or new engine is even more.

• Admin
 ojc2 said:
Yes I am getting the whole brake setup inspected next week. The brake noise seems to be coming from the rear as I tested by slowly rolling and then applied the hand brake and the noise was still made (not sure how scientific this test is though). The belt/pump? squeal pretty much only occurs on full turn lock. I had a mechanic mate look at the belts, the power steering one was starting to fray/small splits, it will also be replaced next week so will hopefully clear that one up.

Another question I had, I am yet to check to see if there is a timing belt replacement sticker but I don't think there is. The car is coming up to 70,000km but is older than 5 years, Being a JDM I highly doubt it has been replaced. Would it be best off replacing the timing belt and water pump now or at least have it inspected or wait til it is closer to the 95-98k mark?

I know it is an expensive job but a rebuild or new engine is even more.

If you take it to Ajay, it wouldn't be too expensive. They're pretty easy to do afaik, but yeah take it to Ajay and have him do the lot and he'll look after you :)

Dairusire said:
If you take it to Ajay, it wouldn't be too expensive. They're pretty easy to do afaik, but yeah take it to Ajay and have him do the lot and he'll look after you :)

So was that a yes to getting the cambelt done now or no, wait to the 95-98k mark? I shall get in touch with him either way.

Another question, fuel economy... I seem to be getting 5.8-6.2kml mostly around town driving. I try to keep it in intelligent mode but sometimes its just not that easy.

I brought it knowing it would be thirsty but are they really this thirsty? BP 98 ain't cheap at all. Already spent the same amount since Saturday (13/08) as I would have in a month with my old car.

Is there anything I can do to increase the economy without sacrificing power? I have read bits and pieces online about reflashing the ecu? I will be getting it done anyway for the recall update but will this remap the fuel or whatever? I'm not too clued up on this. Have tried using the search function too but couldn't really see anything that answered my question other than people on the track are sometimes using less gas than me lol.

• Admin
 ojc2 said:
Another question, fuel economy... I seem to be getting 5.8-6.2kml mostly around town driving. I try to keep it in intelligent mode but sometimes its just not that easy.

I brought it knowing it would be thirsty but are they really this thirsty? BP 98 ain't cheap at all. Already spent the same amount since Saturday (13/08) as I would have in a month with my old car.

Is there anything I can do to increase the economy without sacrificing power? I have read bits and pieces online about reflashing the ecu? I will be getting it done anyway for the recall update but will this remap the fuel or whatever? I'm not too clued up on this. Have tried using the search function too but couldn't really see anything that answered my question other than people on the track are sometimes using less gas than me lol.

My two cents. Take it to get the recall update (lol free), then if this doesn't help, go have it tuned by D-Tech. It'll help your fuel economy and probably get better power too (safer as well).

Edited by Dairusire

Dairusire said:
My two cents. Take it to get the recall update (lol free), then if this doesn't help, go have it tuned by D-Tech. It'll help your fuel economy and probably get better power too (safer as well).

Winger told me it'll cost $50-60 bucks to have the recall done