Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car won't start after changing indicater bulbs

Just took out my indicater bulbs to remove amber lining. After i was done i jumped in the car and flicked the hazard lights on to see what they look like and straight away all the interior lights started flashing including dash lights and the alarm begun blasting. After disabling the alarm (master switch under bonnet as remote wouldn't turn it off?) i went to try turn the car on but it now won't. All it does is click and interior lights still flash.

I've disconnected the battery to see if an ecu reset will fix it, other then that im unsure what else to do??

Car is a '99 B4 Manual.

Cheers for any input.

id say either the alarm is still kicked in and on silent mode (switch under the bonnet) or your battery is flat but then the light wouldnt be flashing... so yea im going on the alarm is still kicked in and your alarm remote has gone flat?

Na it's defenitely not the remote because it'll click when i push the button and pause for a half a second then carry on flickering like its being over riden or something. When i go to start it, it does feel ike the immobiliser though. And not a flat battery either, cheers

Yeah just checked all bulbs and they can only go in one way. Plus they work. I just reconnected the battery to see if a rest had made a difference but nothings changed. As soon as i re connected the battery the hazards came on for about 10-20secs then stopped. Why has something so simple like removing and replacing the indicator lights caused my car not to start

Guest keltik

Alarm. Definately something up with your alarm. I cant think of any system on the car from factory that would cause this to happen

Yeah cheers I reckon its the alarm to. Im thinking the immobiliser is playing up or something. Does anyone know how to fix it? Reseting it or something? Its an AVS.

Ta

DRFVDR said:

I would say that u have shorted your alarm( I am guessing that your indicators flashed when u armed disarmed your alarm)

check your alarm fuses

Will check out fuses tomorrow. Cheers

I also found this for the PIN override....

PIN override:

This feature enables you to disarm the immobiliser if the remotes are inoperable. The

PIN code can be any two numbers between 3 and 255. There are 63000 possible code

combinations. The PIN is factory set to (3)(4) but can be changed to your requirements.

See “How to change your PIN code” overleaf.

To enter override mode and disarm the immobiliser:

1. Open the drivers door and leave it open. If a siren is fitted it will sound.

2. Turn the ignition on then off an equal number of times to the first PIN code digit.

This is a number between 3 and 255.

3. Wait for the indicators to flash once. This occurs whether you have entered the

correct code or not.

4. Now turn the ignition on then off an equal number of times to the second PIN

code digit. This is a number between 3 and 255.

5. The immobiliser will now disarm. You must start the car within 38 seconds or the

system will automatically re-arm.

6. If you turn the ignition off you will have to repeat this procedure every time you

wish to start the car.

and to set a new one

How to change your PIN code:

The PIN code has 63000 possible combinations. To set a new code:

1. Open the drivers door then turn the ignition on.

2. Push the top button on the remote 10 times.

3. Turn the ignition off. The indicators will flash once to indicate you have entered

PIN entry mode.

4. Turn the ignition on then off anywhere from 3 to 255 times. i.e. 11 times. You

have now set the first PIN code digit.

5. Wait for the indicators to flash once.

6. Now turn the ignition on then off anywhere from 3 to 255 times. i.e. 36 times. You

have now set the second PIN code digit.

7. Wait for the indicators to flash once.

8. You have now set the PIN from the factory setting of (3)(4) to (11)(36).

9. Make sure you remember the new PIN code!

Can I chime in and say that this sort of thing has happened to me a few times and it has always been the alarm. Usually it is because the unit is armed and is either reading a current draw from somewhere and thinks its a door being opened or the earth to the alarm or battery is poor and the unit is getting a funky signal. With my AVS if I put the hazards on and then arm the car it will allow this for about 20 seconds before the alarm becomes fully armed and the current drop is registered and the alarm goes off/car is immobilized. I would say make sure that nothing is drawing current, switch the alarm back on under the hood, then reconnect the battery and try to disarm as usual. The only parts that makes we wonder how well your alarm is installed would be the interior lights all flashing unless that is part of your alarm models function, as its not part of mine. Have you called AVS and described this all to them.

Cheers for all your input. I reconnected the battery this morning and she fired up no problem. Seems the ecu reset worked a treat. Thanks again for ya help