Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Cell phone driving

Yeah haven't they removed the compulsory test at I think it was 70? A friend told me they had the other day because it was "Age Discrimination" lol. Yeah I have some adopted grandparents and their driving isn't flash, one of them just had an accident the other day, her fault, but the guy was in her blind spot so it was a genuine accident and it happens all the time there in busy hours, but now her husband refuses to let her drive, yet he has a couple of crashes a year haha.

I definitely think something needs to be done. I could actually be keen to put something together from the club when I get a spare couple of hours. Anyone else interested? Anyone else had experience with putting forward ideas to select committees I guess it would be?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funkytown']

[quote name='WRXER said:

At the end of the day, I personally would like to hear more stories from the emergency services that have to deal with the mess... It's easy to say we are becoming a nana state etc however a good majority are not the ones having to clean up or even deal with the mess left behind, let alone the emotional damage to family from a sudden death. Txting while driving has caused deaths which is a proven fact.

I myself have txted whilst driving and realised I cannot do both ie look down at a screen whilst trying to drive straight, yet on the odd occasion I have still txted. With this law being passed I have already started thinking when I get a txt to not check it, ie maybe check it at the next red light or when stuck at traffic. So in essence this law has already reduced one potential future accident.

It's a much larger issue then a generation gap, I have cousins same age as u DPI who were just as bad the boyracers were today. Ie wrote off multiple cars, didn't care about the police, no regards for others. They think of themselves as no angels back then, however they don't continue their actions today as they have matured.

There are several key factors with todays issues, the licencing system is a breeze, zero dollar deposit loans and also a ever growing population with easier access to cheaper/higher performance cars.... There is no single answer, however the argument that todays generation is all about Me Me Me is null and void. I can supply multiple arguements of people in their 30's,40's,50's having that same issue of not ever being told no and the world revolving round them. In fact I have to deal with all the age brackets daily at work, and a 40-50yr old never likes to be told where to go by a 26yr old who is their boss.

/quote]

It's got nothing to do with generation gaps.

I merely suggest that we start training drivers properly from the start; it just so happens that, if we do, then we'll start with generation narcissist (the 'you cant make me do it, I’ll call [insert whatever PC bull**** government department applies here]) who probably need a good dose of the phrases 'you can't', and 'NO'!

You will notice that i would also like to see the removal of all drivers who don't know anyone else is using the roads with them, regardless of age (and because of it in some cases).

Renewal tests would allow this to happen, and (hopefully) make everyone keep their skills up, rather than letting it all slide over the years.

There are, as you say, many factors, but that shouldn't stop us trying.

Do it the old fashioned way, identify one of the problems, solve it and move on to the next one.

It's only young people who expect problems to be sorted fully and immediately or give up...

;)

agree - my gran was going a bits nuts and driving severly worse as a result, and did cause several accidents including a T-Bone at 100km which i wore 100% of the impact in the front passenger seat.. Not fun i can assure you. This age group has to go through bi or tri annual tests i think at a certain age - and for my gran it was decided to take her licence off her as she was just to dangerous.

I think DPI is saying to extend this to the wider population. - good idea i think - although i wonder who pays..? REcylced money from accidents and the like or the user?

No one pays...

There is no money to pay; just think about how the government is always going on about the cost of accidents, like emergency services, police attending accidents, hospital care and emergency rooms...

The cost of each incident is astronomical, so it'll pay for itself, easily.

However, having been around a while and not being blind to the ways of the world, i imagine the government would want to charge for all the tests (probably a large fee, and slap GST on for good measure).

Two incidents today:

This morning, in glenfield, i saw a small japanese car parked up, attended to by a couple of cop cars...big dents in front guard, front door and part of rear door. Tons of glass on the road and a small flatdeck gas bottle truck parked behind the damaged car.

Can't be sure of who was at fault, as i didn't see it, but i did see two silver haired old ladies standing next to the car, looking very confused...

This afternoon, driving home in the Safari, i had a bus pull out in front of me. I had my headlights on and i was pretty close when he pulled out, so i guess he saw me (i supose the bus driver thought i'd give way to him like every other sucker), WRONG!

I did hit the brakes when it became evident he was going to attempt to pull out, and mashed them when it got too close for comfort (locked up for a sec) and missed the bus...JUST; i only know i missed because i couldn't find any BUS on the bullbar when i got home, it was that close!

I bet the passengers were giving him an earfull afterwards, i could see the looks on the faces as it passed me...

So, there are no limits to who can be a dickhead on the road, old ladies, young drivers, (so called) professional drivers...

Everyone should be regularly tested!

oh agree dude.. i was just giving example of a group other than the young. it happens everywhere..

What also really really grates on me when people drive into an intersection when there clearly isnt anywhere they can not block the flow of traffic - ie a red light ahead.. they all race through and the light goes red then the other flow of traffic has no where to go ---- phuken honestly. I see it half the intersections on the way to work just about every day.

Are people actually retarded?

JoKer said:

I know DPI is always right - is this thread still worth reading?

yup and grrr sure enough driving to work this morn.. this stuuuupid arse "foriegn" driver blocks off my access across the basin (not een wanting to get in her lane) reserve... she got two fingers and an ear bashing for being a farkwit. lucky i was in my gf's daily and not my wagon lol. hate to give boy racers a bad rep.