Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Cell phone driving

Welll I'm not too keen on the new taxes they're thinking about, but raising the driving age and the bike rules seems pretty good to me, the old front light rule on a bike was silly, not even a car could light up the road over 150 meters nicely!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• General Member

At the risk of bucking the trend I dont think raising the driving age will do a whole lot.

I havent seen all there proposals to be discussed yet but the few they ran through o nthe nes headlines the other night mostly seemed silly or unlikely to have much of an impact to me.

Lets get some driver training going, surely thats a better answer to most of the issues we face.

Yeah I agree, driver training would be much better. How well does the new defensive drivers course work? When I did it it was a piece of cake, now I understand you have to go for a few drives with the person taking the course? Though seriously, it scares me how a 15 and a half year old can be driving around with out supervision (I know, I'm a dirty hypocrite lol, I got my licence as soon as I could) because lets face it, we're all susceptible to peer pressure when we're young, hell we still are.

But I think the time would be better put to training programs like Johnnynz said, I've heard the skid car ones that run out at Ardmore Airport are really good, you bring your own car along and they fit skid wheels to it, and have a go driving it and other peoples cars in different conditions (simulated by raising the car up onto the skid wheels), so you get the feeling for front wheel vs rear wheel, that sort of thing. And then focusing on changing it so you have to do check rides every 5 years and maybe along with a written test to keep up to date with the laws

Guest keltik

Yeah the defensive driving course was a massive load of shit. We were told at the start "Dont worry - you cannot fail this course as long as you attend each session and make an effort. Its not graded so just turn up and youll pass". And im not even paraphrasing!

keltik said:

Yeah the defensive driving course was a massive load of ****. We were told at the start "Dont worry - you cannot fail this course as long as you attend each session and make an effort. Its not graded so just turn up and youll pass". And im not even paraphrasing!

Yeah thats what I was basically told to, and that pointless video you have to watch at the end and point out the hazards, the guy pointed them out before they even came up on screen! haha. Anyone on here been to the new version yet? I think my sister did it and they apparently go for a drive with an aa driver to pass the course?

I reckon they should make a law to say you cant do ANYTHING AT ALL.

You must stay in bed for as long as you live. You cant talk you cant eat or drink. They install cameras in your house and only the government can walk around and they watch you and if you move they come and shoot you.

That world would be more awesomer than what they propose now. I mean, hell its LEGAL to eat your dog. These people come here and then complain when they cant do what they did in their own country...ummmm this isnt your own country and we have own laws, so no, you cant eat your dog. Or mine. Like he might not have been able to pay for food so went and pinched a dog from down the road. Problem solved. They should be doing shit to stop that instead of wanking over people talking on their phones. I mean, woman are sposed to be able to multi task. I bet the road crashes involving people and phones were mostly woman.

• General Member

Defensive driving is still very much the same, had to do it last year got told if I turned up I couldnt fail etc.

However I think the person running the course has a big say in how much you get out of it. I found a few handy hints in the course but it wasnt in the "course work" more form the guy taking the course telling a few stories about his experiences.

If it was to be used as compulsory driver training it would need to be improved a lot.

Also why not drop the cost of licensing and make the fines for no license substantialy bigger. I know a few guys who have no license, get caught and get a minimal fine but suspended license for a period of time. Like they care, they just keep driving. Very frustrating for us doing it right.

Like a few on here, i got my licence (back in the Triassic) when i tirned 15, but you have to remember it was a different world then.

Kids, like i was then, were actually worried about what would happen if caught doing something wrong because we had a thing back then called punishment.

It's an outmoded concept now, being replaced with cotton wool self loving PC today, but back then, if you screwed up, not only did you have to deal with the cops (and that was NOT NICE), even worse was what the 'old man' would do when he found out.

Nowadays, with the 'me, mine, i want it, it's not fair' generation who've never heard the word NO, there are no repercusions so there's no real reason not to.

Add to this the ease of purchase of a high powered vehicle, parents who should be shot, and a society so blinded to the truth, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

I say, make it 16 for legally starting the driving training program, an actual structured program consisting of tests and real training to be marked off as it's accomplished, that lasts at least 9 months, and a couple of final tests spaced out over 3 months.

Then, armed with a provisionary licence, a new driver would have to sit a test every year for 4 years (only keeping licence if passing).

All existing licence holders should be made to sit tests (thats practical) every 3 years.

Fail a practical test, and your back to the beginning...

This keeps drivers skills up, and would remove a hell of a lot of sub-standard idiots from our roads.

This last, alone, would probably decrease the road toll.

• General Member

I agree with that for the most part.

But I dont think all young drivers are the issue, I have a lot of young people male and female drive for me (Pizza Delivery) and most of them are very responsible, driving cars they brought and maintiain alone without much parental input at all.

A big portion of the young driving public are just like we all were when we got our licenses, inexperienced, excited, nervous and a little scared but generaly just happy to have that freedom..

But I agree that a far to large percentage are just muppets who dont give a damn who they put at risk and definatly dont understand the risk they could pose to others around them.

And as you touched on it doesnt help that the average highscool kid with an afterschool job can chuck a Subi, Evo, Familia GTX etc on tick and afford to run it.

Swindog said:

I mean, hell its LEGAL to eat your dog.

And, i don't see any problem with that.

NZ'ers complain about people "integrating" into "our" way off life. Yet when we go overseas we do the opposite and expect the world to dance to our tune. It is only recently that we have accepted that other countrys have laws which may sound odd, but we have to abide by them. EG women sunbathing in muslim countries etc.

Bjcnz said:

Yeah thats what I was basically told to, and that pointless video you have to watch at the end and point out the hazards, the guy pointed them out before they even came up on screen! haha. Anyone on here been to the new version yet? I think my sister did it and they apparently go for a drive with an aa driver to pass the course?

Most of our bunch only noticed the doughnut tracks halfway down the gravel road. (in one of the videos they have driven past a set of rings from someone having some fun :) )

TURTLE']

[quote name='Swindog said:

I mean, hell its LEGAL to eat your dog. /quote]

And, i don't see any problem with that.

NZ'ers complain about people "integrating" into "our" way off life. Yet when we go overseas we do the opposite and expect the world to dance to our tune. It is only recently that we have accepted that other countrys have laws which may sound odd, but we have to abide by them. EG women sunbathing in muslim countries etc.

Not true. Every where we and i have travelled weve had to obay local customs etc, but when they come here it seems we have to bow to how they want it.

When you move to another country you should live by their rules, not complain until you get to do what you did in your own country. Pretty soon if this keeps up we will be an island of tonga instead of our own communist dictatorship regime

you know the funny thing? Dictatorships work really well for a lot of the time, with the right leader

Never get stupid pc-pandering pansy-ass bull$hit that this country is coming to.

i.e. a guy driving 3-4x over our really lax limit, is txting while driving, crashes n kills someone. Cornor in some brainfart decides that the txting was the cause of the crash.

guy builds a homebrew towbar out of welding wire (not quite) and now they pushing for all cars with towbars to have to pass a full inspection /crack test of all mounts. (read big $$)

some dumbasses drive like morons in hi-po cars, now anything with a non-stock exhaust is of the devil.

At the end of the day, I personally would like to hear more stories from the emergency services that have to deal with the mess... It's easy to say we are becoming a nana state etc however a good majority are not the ones having to clean up or even deal with the mess left behind, let alone the emotional damage to family from a sudden death. Txting while driving has caused deaths which is a proven fact.

I myself have txted whilst driving and realised I cannot do both ie look down at a screen whilst trying to drive straight, yet on the odd occasion I have still txted. With this law being passed I have already started thinking when I get a txt to not check it, ie maybe check it at the next red light or when stuck at traffic. So in essence this law has already reduced one potential future accident.

It's a much larger issue then a generation gap, I have cousins same age as u DPI who were just as bad the boyracers were today. Ie wrote off multiple cars, didn't care about the police, no regards for others. They think of themselves as no angels back then, however they don't continue their actions today as they have matured.

There are several key factors with todays issues, the licencing system is a breeze, zero dollar deposit loans and also a ever growing population with easier access to cheaper/higher performance cars.... There is no single answer, however the argument that todays generation is all about Me Me Me is null and void. I can supply multiple arguements of people in their 30's,40's,50's having that same issue of not ever being told no and the world revolving round them. In fact I have to deal with all the age brackets daily at work, and a 40-50yr old never likes to be told where to go by a 26yr old who is their boss.

• General Member
 WRXER said:

There is no single answer, however the argument that todays generation is all about Me Me Me is null and void. I can supply multiple arguements of people in their 30's,40's,50's having that same issue of not ever being told no and the world revolving round them. In fact I have to deal with all the age brackets daily at work, and a 40-50yr old never likes to be told where to go by a 26yr old who is their boss.

Amen to that.

There are a lot of good ideas being put forward. I would love to put something together with all the members of the club and other clubs around NZ and put it forward. But chances are we wouldn't be heard out as we're still considered "Boy Racers" wonder if we'll ever get away from that term?

Maybe instead of wasting 8-9 million dollars on a pointless CITIZENS referendum for smacking that will go no where (I believe the law is fine as it is, you can still smack your child if they're causing danger to themselves or others, but thats another story). That money should have been put towards gathering information from the public on what they think would be appropriate laws and rules around the licencing of cars

WRXER said:

At the end of the day, I personally would like to hear more stories from the emergency services that have to deal with the mess... It's easy to say we are becoming a nana state etc however a good majority are not the ones having to clean up or even deal with the mess left behind, let alone the emotional damage to family from a sudden death. Txting while driving has caused deaths which is a proven fact.

I myself have txted whilst driving and realised I cannot do both ie look down at a screen whilst trying to drive straight, yet on the odd occasion I have still txted. With this law being passed I have already started thinking when I get a txt to not check it, ie maybe check it at the next red light or when stuck at traffic. So in essence this law has already reduced one potential future accident.

It's a much larger issue then a generation gap, I have cousins same age as u DPI who were just as bad the boyracers were today. Ie wrote off multiple cars, didn't care about the police, no regards for others. They think of themselves as no angels back then, however they don't continue their actions today as they have matured.

There are several key factors with todays issues, the licencing system is a breeze, zero dollar deposit loans and also a ever growing population with easier access to cheaper/higher performance cars.... There is no single answer, however the argument that todays generation is all about Me Me Me is null and void. I can supply multiple arguements of people in their 30's,40's,50's having that same issue of not ever being told no and the world revolving round them. In fact I have to deal with all the age brackets daily at work, and a 40-50yr old never likes to be told where to go by a 26yr old who is their boss.

It's got nothing to do with generation gaps.

I merely suggest that we start training drivers properly from the start; it just so happens that, if we do, then we'll start with generation narcissist (the 'you cant make me do it, I’ll call [insert whatever PC bull**** government department applies here]) who probably need a good dose of the phrases 'you can't', and 'NO'!

You will notice that i would also like to see the removal of all drivers who don't know anyone else is using the roads with them, regardless of age (and because of it in some cases).

Renewal tests would allow this to happen, and (hopefully) make everyone keep their skills up, rather than letting it all slide over the years.

There are, as you say, many factors, but that shouldn't stop us trying.

Do it the old fashioned way, identify one of the problems, solve it and move on to the next one.

It's only young people who expect problems to be sorted fully and immediately or give up...

;)

DPI']

[quote name='WRXER said:

/quote]

It's got nothing to do with generation gaps.

I merely suggest that we start training drivers properly from the start; it just so happens that, if we do, then we'll start with generation narcissist (the 'you cant make me do it, I’ll call [insert whatever PC bull**** government department applies here]) who probably need a good dose of the phrases 'you can't', and 'NO'!

You will notice that i would also like to see the removal of all drivers who don't know anyone else is using the roads with them, regardless of age (and because of it in some cases).

Renewal tests would allow this to happen, and (hopefully) make everyone keep their skills up, rather than letting it all slide over the years.

There are, as you say, many factors, but that shouldn't stop us trying.

Do it the old fashioned way, identify one of the problems, solve it and move on to the next one.

It's only young people who expect problems to be sorted fully and immediately or give up...

;)

agree - my gran was going a bits nuts and driving severly worse as a result, and did cause several accidents including a T-Bone at 100km which i wore 100% of the impact in the front passenger seat.. Not fun i can assure you. This age group has to go through bi or tri annual tests i think at a certain age - and for my gran it was decided to take her licence off her as she was just to dangerous.

I think DPI is saying to extend this to the wider population. - good idea i think - although i wonder who pays..? REcylced money from accidents and the like or the user?