tobrien109

BP5 Spec.B wheel knock

Hey guys, I have a 2008 Spec B wagon and I recently noticed a knocking/clicking from the front left of the car but its very intermittent and I'm totally unsure if its the bilstein that's giving out or the wheel bearing so I was wondering if anyone would know or could help me out.a96e18f36cb176f9837bf45c4ab0be82.jpg

3 things, 2 are more likely.

Bilstein, control arm bush or bearing.

Its not very likely to be a bearing.

Can you describe where and when you get the clunk?

3 things, 2 are more likely.

Bilstein, control arm bush or bearing.

Its not very likely to be a bearing.

Can you describe where and when you get the clunk?

To be honest it occurs at random times and it doesn't always repeat itself if you repeat the movement that made it click/clunk previously hence why im stumped

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Whip the rubber cover off the top of the strut and try push up and down repeatedly with the weight being pushed on the strut tower whilst holding the struts top nut. One of mine has a heap of movement and the other none at all. 

Whip the rubber cover off the top of the strut and try push up and down repeatedly with the weight being pushed on the strut tower whilst holding the struts top nut. One of mine has a heap of movement and the other none at all. 

And does this tell me if its the shock or not?

If its movement there then its wear on the top hat, whip that nut off and stick a washer in (make sure you have weight on that corner when you do) should sort it out.

• Like 1

Had a similar knock, only occured at low speeds (or at least was noticeable then) while going over cracks or small bumps. Turned out one of the swaybar links had a fair bit of play (Cusco ffs), luckily 2as under warranty and got my 💰 back.. 

Check the links are nice and tight, check there's no play at sway bar bush mounts. 

• Like 2

Anyone able to help me have a look? Due to living in a flat i have nowhere to get under the car and i have minimal tools

Mmmm i've also had issues with swaybar link movement in my current car making some horrid noises. 

I'm up east Auckland, if thats close flick me a pm, failing that head down to see ajay at @Subirex Automotive and tell him I sent yah ;-)

I'll see if Ajay can fit me in! If he can't I might take you up on your offer!

• Like 1

I had the same problem. Took the rubber top cap off the top of the strut, tightened the nut a half turn until tight, no more knock. Have heard it can also be sway bar end links. Good luck

I have had a knock for a while it got really bad last night to the point of grinding had a look today couldn't even tighten the bolt 

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen to the left front strut a few years back..

Very noisey..

It's probably the standard shitty Bilstein internal knock. Easiest fix is a set of decent coilovers.