Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×

Mechanical breakdown INsurance

Hi,

i was wondering if what are your take on MBI’s? Is it worth it? Will i get away with an exhaust modification?

just wondering if it does worth having or just save the money for a proper high quality maintenance.?

cheers

• General Member

Back in 'my day' (2003 I bough the GTB) I was sold Protecta

used it a few times

'fun one' was the leacking rocker over gaskets, they wanted (and got) an excess for both sides.... as in it was classed as two different jobs LOL / not lol

• Like 1

IMO not worth. too restrictive with modifications and you have to generally visit more expensive places for proof of servicing as a requirement of meeting your end of the insurance. also like Joker mentioned, heard from many others who have had it about same issue of certain things being considered as multiple jobs and therefore requiring multiple excess. They also seem to have a cap of how much they will pay out per claim / overall.. would just save the money for proper maintenance especially given the prices for most subaru parts are not very expensive should it come to that.

• Like 3

yeah they cover some mods, the ones that aren't covered. like exhausts, wheels, suspension are wear items so they allow them in a lot of cases.

I get one for minimum 6 months and thrash the car, if it survives then not much lost. if it dies you save s*** loads.

Also its a good way to prevent wasting money on more mods. the waiting until it expires gives you time to save and plan.

I've had two major claims both in the thousands covered. So I've done well from them.

My STi has a new gearbox, my Evo had the rear active diff replaced under warranty.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Gripless said:

yeah they cover some mods, the ones that aren't covered. like exhausts, wheels, suspension are wear items so they allow them in a lot of cases.

I get one for minimum 6 months and thrash the car, if it survives then not much lost. if it dies you save s*** loads.

Also its a good way to prevent wasting money on more mods. the waiting until it expires gives you time to save and plan.

I've had two major claims both in the thousands covered. So I've done well from them.

My STi has a new gearbox, my Evo had the rear active diff replaced under warranty.

Thanks for that so is that from protecta too?

On 29/04/2021 at 1:23 PM, Batbaruman said:

IMO not worth. too restrictive with modifications and you have to generally visit more expensive places for proof of servicing as a requirement of meeting your end of the insurance. also like Joker mentioned, heard from many others who have had it about same issue of certain things being considered as multiple jobs and therefore requiring multiple excess. They also seem to have a cap of how much they will pay out per claim / overall.. would just save the money for proper maintenance especially given the prices for most subaru parts are not very expensive should it come to that.

Yeah i guess that was my thought too tho just looking if people “do” actually get one . Thank you for the info