Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BC5 RS Modifications

Hey. First time poster, but have been lurking around this site for a while. You guys have a fantastic resource here! A truck load of info already posted and some very knowledgeable members to back it up.

I have a NZ New BC5 RS Legacy. Car is absolutely stock standard down to the exhaust and the air filter. I have been thinking about upgrading, but cannot bear to part with the car, so thought I would spend some time and money on making it go like a more modern one.

I would like 200kw ATW and to complement this I will do brakes and suspension; as well as clutch and gearbox as they fall victim to the increased power.

Can I achieve 200 kw ATW on stock internals and water to air intercooler? Car will not be driven on the track or raced in any form. I just want open road (50-120kmh) performance.

What is a well proven way to achieve the desired power?

From my limited understanding of modifying subarus I am thinking fuel pump, injectors, link (or similar engine management system) and a vf23 turbo

Your thoughts please?

You can have 200kw@wheels but it will not be as reliable or efficient at say 150kw@wheels with the OE setup.

I would start with optimizing what you have; Install a Turbo back exhaust, cold air intake and delete the pre-turbo inlet resonator these modifications will lend well to a Chip/Board upgrade; there are many around to suit, in addition safety measures should include a high flow fuel pump (the factory ones fail when asked for more) and a split fuel rail setup.

These modifications will be still mostly be within factory tolerances and give you about 150kw@wheels.

200kw@wheels can be achieved using the WAIC but this will be a one off power figure as repeated (and few) full acceleration pulls will result in soaring inlet temps; either you look into modifying the WAIC ($) or install a FMIC.

Easiest way for 200kw@wheels? ditch the OE Longblock and install a V3/V4 STI long block with a Turbocharger capable of flowing enough air (TD05/VF series) and an aftermarket computer.

Im guessing this is Hugh and you are talking about your white RS?

If so we talked awhile ago when i was interested in purchasing your car (i brought a v3 sti at the time)

As BC5RA said, a change in engine configuration would be your best bet for that figure or you could get similar to sti performance with a chip and a few bits, which is plenty quick enough in an old RS, plus much cheaper. The difference between 160-170 and 200 atw is neglible on the road really, and with any luck you might get 180.

Theres a few of us on here that are a bit into BC5s ;)

To give you an example of making 200kw at wheels. I have a V3 STi motor, TD05, Link, yellow injectors, FMIC and upgraded fuel pump. On 14psi made 216kw. But that is an STi motor - so much easier to make power with than the old RS motor.

Munkvy said:

To give you an example of making 200kw at wheels. I have a V3 STi motor, TD05, Link, yellow injectors, FMIC and upgraded fuel pump. On 14psi made 216kw. But that is an STi motor - so much easier to make power with than the old RS motor.

And one or two steps closer to the dark side ;)

Munkvy said:

Yeah your right. I much prefer the sound of the old RS motor. But this one does make more power which is important too :D

No no, your right to do so, Power is a good thing; not to mention the reliability.

Just don't change the packaging ::)

Guest boostin
 Munkvy said:

Damn you and your Link. That's the one thing missing from mine and it makes all the difference. I'm running the same specs just minus the Link and front mount, and on 18psi it only managed 186kw. I think at the moment the order goes...

Finish fixing twin turbo to sell

New TV (old one making weird noises and has some pretty funky colours going on!!)

Gardens need sorting out

Build new deck

Paint house

Sort out about 2 years of neglect on my wagon

More stuff I haven't thought of but she knows about....

Link G4.

:'(

Yeah this is Hugh. I now live in Hastings and work in Waipukurau.

G-Unit - See your car outside W&K most days now. Looking good. Hope you find a suitable buyer.

DRFVDR - Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but what exactly are you selling? I understand what the down pipe does, but what improvement will the rest of the piping have (airbox-turbo-intercooler)? How much for the exhaust, down pipe and turbo piping?

boostin said:

Damn you and your Link. That's the one thing missing from mine and it makes all the difference. I'm running the same specs just minus the Link and front mount, and on 18psi it only managed 186kw. I think at the moment the order goes...

Finish fixing twin turbo to sell

New TV (old one making weird noises and has some pretty funky colours going on!!)

Gardens need sorting out

Build new deck

Paint house

Sort out about 2 years of neglect on my wagon

More stuff I haven't thought of but she knows about....

Link G4.

:'(

Remember Link is a damned expensive investment if you buy new - your looking around $2k to buy then tuning and installation is typically $800-1200... Fortunately my missus doesnt know what I have bought for the car as she hates it and doesnt want to know about it.

Guest boostin

True, but by the time I've finished and sold this wagon I'm doing up to sell (plus selling bits off the other one), I would have made $5k, which would have paid for the Link easily. But no, we have to spend it on the house. >:(

sounds like your on the right track.If your not looking at changing the block ,swapping the heads is a good idea for a better flow. More air+more fuel=more power. An ecu upgrade and good tune is the key. But be warned once you start your mods you wont be able to stop. 200kws is great but you'll want more.

one common denominator here.

Women and their hating of our cars!!! (and PS3s, and PCs and ....)

Boostin: spending on the house will net return. Spending on a car is like pouring money down the drain!!

Think of it this way. spend on house=profit=more money to spend on a car later????

I am in the midst of a flurry of activity including tiling bathroom walls, bathroom, toil and kitchen floors, painting future nursery, sanding outside windows back and repainting.

Have also just painted outside fence which took 3 weekends!! Massive fucker it is!!

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!

Guest boostin

Yeah I know what you're saying, but I'm close to the point of being happy with the car and stop modding it for a few years. Then we can spend money on the house. Christ we've only been here for 5 months!!

Well if you bought wisely when prices were lower 5 months ago it should shoot up over the next few years anyhow.

But yeah i know what you are saying dude. Its almost a matter of negotiation with the other half sometimes!

signalh said:

G-Unit - See your car outside W&K most days now. Looking good. Hope you find a suitable buyer.

DRFVDR - Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but what exactly are you selling? I understand what the down pipe does, but what improvement will the rest of the piping have (airbox-turbo-intercooler)? How much for the exhaust, down pipe and turbo piping?

Good to see youve still got the car, theres stuff all good ones left now. try and keep it a bit standardish if you can,youll get more enjoyment in the long run.

I have ended up with a 92 rs ra. Doing a couple of thiengine and drive train, may chip it later but am in no hurry.ngs here and there but nothing major to the

stira']

[quote name='signalh said:

cheers, where do u work? i leave it there at 5am and take my sentra 2 work ;D, brother in law works at mobil so keeps an eye on it, have had alot of interest but no sale yet

• 2 months later...
Guest boostin
 RS.YES said:

Does anyone have a pic of their WAIC setup? My setup a bit weird and it seems like it's an air-to-air inside the intercooler case rather than water-to-air?

Have you tried filling it with water??

• 1 month later...
 boostin']

[quote name='RS.YES said:

Does anyone have a pic of their WAIC setup? My setup a bit weird and it seems like it's an air-to-air inside the intercooler case rather than water-to-air?

/quote]

Have you tried filling it with water??

Nope. There's a white canister that looks like those old carby motor fuel filters, one hose is going to the top of the TMIC case and the other has been cut after 30cm of hose ???.

Hey funkytown have you got a pic of the whole setup? How much for your unit? To be honest I'm not on the lookout for the unit cause I would have no clue on how to put it in and my engine running sweet for now love cruising it n then boost here and there!! ;D