Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BG vs V3 STi gauge cluster & discussion on mechanic vs electrical speedo's

ReubenH

• 1 month later...

Well, i was down at pick-a-part the other day. I saw a little V1 1500 impreza thing, and went and stole it's cluster. I then hopped into one of the BG's there and installed it... The mount points are different, but they look to be an easy fix, and of course the wiring will be different. But the physical fit was perfect, the legacy shroud went on and made a seamless fit with the impreza cluster!

So yeah, strong for subaru have a V3 STi cluster on hold for me, with my correct redline to match the ECU, and 240K speedo for $120! Yum!

Just gotta run a mechanical speedo drive now... unless someone knows how to make the V3 speedo's electronic?

Guest lan_killa

as far as i can see converting a mechanical speedo to elec will be a pretty big mission and in the end may not work... will be much easier to grab a cable and run it through the firewall if theres space for it.

One thing I would deffinatly be watching for is how does the legacy ECU gather speed info? With the V1-6 imprezas the speedo cluster sends it down to the ecu via a single wire.

Also you do realise that the V1-6 clusters only have a single door light, where as if memory serves me correctly the legacys have 5 for the individual doors so be careful wiring up that one, other thing to note is that V1-3 doesnt get a fuel light but thats not so important as there is actually a 'LO' blub position which could be wired up to work.

Another thing, the biggest reason i moved away from the V1-3 cluster and to the V4-6 cluster in mine is that fact that only the gauge numbers light up at night, the needles dont... this makes it near impossible to see where your gauges are at night and is a pretty big hazard IMO

I was going to mention the same myself, after remembering driving Cam's old wagon back in the day. You get a nasty little flood light over the gauges instead of stuff that lights up properly...the needles don't light up and the light vs face can make it hard to read on some angles. It's quite distracting at night.

Considering I'm looking at mangling/building the sh!t out of a custom setup to get a ver8 cluster into a GC8...is it possible to do what Lan Killa did and mangle a ver4-6 system into a BG? It's a nicer cluster :D

Guest lan_killa

i did suggest trying to fit the V4-6 cluster, but Reuben doesnt like the gaps that mine currently has. Once i get ahold of some fake carbon fiber sheets this will be rectified

lan_killa said:

as far as i can see converting a mechanical speedo to elec will be a pretty big mission and in the end may not work... will be much easier to grab a cable and run it through the firewall if theres space for it.

One thing I would deffinatly be watching for is how does the legacy ECU gather speed info? With the V1-6 imprezas the speedo cluster sends it down to the ecu via a single wire.

Also you do realise that the V1-6 clusters only have a single door light, where as if memory serves me correctly the legacys have 5 for the individual doors so be careful wiring up that one, other thing to note is that V1-3 doesnt get a fuel light but thats not so important as there is actually a 'LO' blub position which could be wired up to work.

Another thing, the biggest reason i moved away from the V1-3 cluster and to the V4-6 cluster in mine is that fact that only the gauge numbers light up at night, the needles dont... this makes it near impossible to see where your gauges are at night and is a pretty big hazard IMO

Few things to note here. I'm running a V3 ECU so that is a null point. Also what i'm going from, then going to, is an upgrade; the BG cluster also doesn't have lit needles, it has the lights than shine on em, i don't find this offensive.

I don't mind running a speedo cable either, so i guess i'll have to. And the door light thing i have considered, and deemed an acceptable price to pay for having a 240K sti speedo, and 9K tacho with my ECU's correct redline.

So yeah, i see what you're saying bout the V3 clusters, but i think the fact it matches my ECU and engine, and fits like a glove is good reason to stick with V3, rather than mod the dash to fit V4+

So V4 onwards are digital speedo etc?

So what about mixing a v4 and v3 cluster together with the needed bits? Might cost a bit but you could do it if you REALLY wanted it to couldn't you?

I don't know anything about gauge clusters though but thinking of getting hold of a V4 one for the DeForester one day... subscribing to this thread

Guest lan_killa

V4 onwards use an electrical sender, rather than being cable driven like the V1-3.

V1-3 Clusters are a similar size to legacy ones... BUT V4-6 ones are alot smaller, although in saying that I beleive are similar in size to forester ones.

Mixing and matching bits between the V1-3 and V4-6 clusters is a no go from what I can see... although a thought that has just crossed my mind is that it may be possible to take the legacy electronic speedo and fit it into the V1-3 cluster seeing as they are already of similar size

Forrester ones are physically the same size to V4 and up, but have different gauge faces, VERY different gauge faces (legacy gauge style, in the V4 cluster). I don't think you would be able to mix and match parts between 3 and 4 clusters as far as i can guess.

And the note on the legacy speedo, VERY interesting. might compare them. But the STi one i'm getting's a 240K, with sti logo's and all, so i'll stick with that. I know there are some 240K sti speedo's out there for the BG's though, have seen them on trademe and such. Very cool factory option i wish mine had in the first place.

If i have the coin, it's only like $30 for a cluster. i might go buy a BG and GC cluster at pick a part and mutilate them to see if the leggy gauges fit and such. Just out of mad scientist curiosity

Guest lan_killa

im talking about swapping the drive mechinism in the back of the cluster, see if an electronic drive could be fitted to a mechanical drive gauge

It's just getting used to em. The cluster itself is a sexy upgrade to the GTB item.

Oh btw... does the speedo cable acually hook into the back of the dial? cause i do not recall having to take one out of the N/A's cluster at pick-a-part. Maybe there are actually some V1/2/3's of some description with electric speedo's. Subaru had them in legacy's since 93 after all...

Guest lan_killa

connecting the cable to the cluster is a complete fuck... this is one area where subaru didnt think too well...

The cable simply pushes onto the back of the cluster, if your lucky and line it up when you push the cluster in it may go in... other wise prepare your self for a real cunt of a time... you will have to screw the cluster in securely and then reach up from underneath while lying in the footwell and slot it into place using what ever number of fingers you have managed to get past the steering column, there is minimal room to move your hand in there to connect it and is not a job you will want to repeat in a hurry.

When you take the cluster out the cable normally falls out with relaitive ease, which is why you wouldnt of noticed it at pick a part

Guest lan_killa
 Shale said:

Cam was the master of that...feet by the headrest and head under the dash! Epic, epic lulz.

Almost as bad as having your hands taken hostage by the v4+ dash in an actual v4...they bite like swarming sharks.

WTF??? hes been doing that the hardway... i just lie there with my feet out the door

Yeah, well, turns out my memory fails me, it's just a 180 speedo. But here's the thing, it looks almost exactly like the legacy one. Just a different font, and very similar, yet different needle. Pitty the legacy face is dark grey, and the impreza one is black, but i could whip it apart and have a look to see if i can swap over the vital parts. I need to re-set the milage too, the car's up to 147,000 this ones at 125k. Or i could leave it... :P

Actually... my engine is at 25,000k's... that reading would hit 200,000K when i'm due for my cambelt.... hmmm ;)