Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Warrent

1994legacyrs

Well I took the RS in for a warrant and it failed on two counts.

-2 tyres - I knew they were getting low

-Exhaust 100db at 3500rpm

So I went to the local tyre shop and and some decent quality tyres (215/45/17) would set me back $180ea including fitting, balancing etc. I think this doesn't sound to bad, but my old man reckons that's outrageous. What do you guys pay roughly?

I heard that you can buy a device that fits into the tip of the big bore and quietens it down to 95db. Anyone know of where to get one or how to make one? I checked in at repco but they don't sell them. If its too much of a hassle I'll just try find a stock muffler.

One thing that worries me about fitting the device in the tip is would it have a negative effect on the turbo/engine etc by changing the exhaust gas flow, or will the change be neglect able?

Cheers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I paid $220 each for similar sized tyres a month ago. The prices have gone up in the last year or so. i.e. I used to be able to get a deal for Toyo T1R's for $150 ea and now they retail at $330 which I thought was a bit much. Haven't torture tested the RE001's yet though (I think it was RE001's??)

The silencer that goes in the exhaust chokes the hell out of the engine as it basically is a small orifice that blocks off flow out of the muffler. I've been trying to solve the same issue with my car and have had to put a big baffled muffler on the end but haven't had time to get it tested again. It definately has taken the noise out of it when you are giving it a bit of stick though.

Koom said:

The silencer that goes in the exhaust chokes the hell out of the engine as it basically is a small orifice that blocks off flow out of the muffler. I've been trying to solve the same issue with my car and have had to put a big baffled muffler on the end but haven't had time to get it tested again. It definately has taken the noise out of it when you are giving it a bit of stick though.

Also make your car sound crap had same experiance tried silencer now selling muffler lol

went for warrant today did you know you can fail a wof on the rubber missing from your pedals YES your pedals &*#@N rediculous

get a whole heap of steel wool and wrap it into a 'tube' with some chicken wire, bung that puppy up the exhaust and go for warrant, pass, then pull it out.

As for tyres that probably isnt to bad a deal if they were decent tyres, think I payed $130 each for the last set I bought (bridgestone MY01's) and they were on the cheap side because I bought four at once.

zarnah said:

get a whole heap of steel wool and wrap it into a 'tube' with some chicken wire, bung that puppy up the exhaust and go for warrant, pass, then pull it out.

As for tyres that probably isnt to bad a deal if they were decent tyres, think I payed $130 each for the last set I bought (bridgestone MY01's) and they were on the cheap side because I bought four at once.

zarnah thats cheap what size? i pay 135 each for my shitty hankooks on my leggy (they do the trick for now lol)

Guest boostcut

went for warrant today did you know you can fail a wof on the rubber missing from your pedals YES your pedals &*#@N rediculous

whats the problem? this is a perfect reason to fail you. what if your foot slips off the brake and you run over a kid? its just a safety thing man.

liltim']

[quote name='zarnah said:

/quote]

zarnah thats cheap what size? i pay 135 each for my ****ty hankooks on my leggy (they do the trick for now lol)

hehe I got contacts....

liltim said:

yea i realise that just new to me i've never known of that as its on my clutch and ive passed two wofs as is its only now the decide to fail me on it

my clutch pedal hasnt had any rubber on it at all for the last two warrents ive had, passed both times hahaha

@Funkytown I am new to the whole "performance" tyres as I am used to getting the alcheapo $70 tyres for the honda - so I don't actually know the quality and/or performance of the tyres, they just weren't the most expensive or the cheapest. The size was 215/45/17 and the brand Michelin but I have no clue about the series sorry.

As far as an exhaust shop, the only shop that specializes in exhausts is 70km away, but I know a few places that might be able to do that sort of thing that are closer.

I have heard about the steel wire trick but I wasn't sure how much it would actually cut down the noise. Worth a try.

I am also thinking of a more long-term silencer as for most driving a loud exhaust is not really necessary - how loud are they stock?

Failing on the rubber on the pedals :o Lucky I have steel pedals! :)

was genuinely interested in what rubber.. as you could imagine as a bunch on enthusiasts here and we talk about rubber heaps..

some claim crap rubber to be awesome and vice versa... and as you can imagine brand and model makes the price vary heaps..

all good dude ;D

the wirewool trick sounds good

Haha I suppose tyres are just as fun to argue about as oil ;D

Michelin are known in the motorbike world as quite a good tyre so I am hoping the same goes for the car world. There aren't any tracks around that I know of so I don't really get a chance to push the tyres to their limit.

The only concern I have about the steel wire is that it might get "hurled" out by the exhaust pressure into the poor testing guy ;). I have also heard that pink bats works, but that's just asking for back pressure!

if your in chch, i could sell you a 3" baffle with a 1.75" exit hole, it quiets it down nice and is legal, as for tyres i think i payed 180 for bridgestone MY01's on special for 215/45/17 they are good tyres for road. not much noise and has taken 2 track days with ease

Few points

Brake Pedal rubber missing is a fail :) all other pedals are ok

Tires on a Subaru should only be replaced as a set of four (otherwise centre diff damage may occur)

Exhaust noise is a pain but law and as this make your car permantly below 95db as if it noticebly louder u will alway have issues wid mr plod as your car SHOULD always be at a wof standard as the law demands :)

Just on the exhaust, I recently put a diff back hks hipower on my legacy, and its fine at higher revs (3k and above) but really loud below that and on deceleration.

When i get the rest of the exhaust built (downpipe, midpipe, de-cat etc) what are peoples opinions on best options to sort this? Highflow baffled muffler instead of cat? Big resonators? Different tail piece? I really really want to avoid the exhaust tip baffle if i can.

RSB said:

Just on the exhaust, I recently put a diff back hks hipower on my legacy, and its fine at higher revs (3k and above) but really loud below that and on deceleration.

When i get the rest of the exhaust built (downpipe, midpipe, de-cat etc) what are peoples opinions on best options to sort this? Highflow baffled muffler instead of cat? Big resonators? Different tail piece? I really really want to avoid the exhaust tip baffle if i can.

I'd go with high flow baffled muffler i had a dumpy on my car for about 3 days max (yes yes heard it all before) and experianced same problem as you brought a silencer and sounds like arse so selling now lol but i've done from that stupid right angle join on my leggy back with 2.25 pipe into universal muffler

i also have de cat and have a resonator in the mid section have had this in place way before exploring the dumpy and didn't appear to make SFA difference

Chur

T1M0

Oh true that.

The other thing of course is that i don't want to negate the effects of doing the exhaust by impeding flow. What i'm not clear on is by doing down pipe and going to a 3" midpipe, how much will it change the sound characteristics?

This is the first time i've modified the exhaust on a subaru and on a turbo car, and i know there are different principles to doing an NA car, but i'm unclear how far those principles extend.

As an example i have 3inch from turbo back, drops to 2.5 in then goes into factory wrx rear muffler, it has 2 resonators, but is basically a straight pipe, it is very quiet, on previous vehicles i have had the same system with cannons and its been loud as, so id say not much difference in volume untill teh very end.

Cool. I want to go 3" all the way through.

I think my noise issue is not from the muffler itself, but possibly the install. It seems to be variable in nature, sometimes its not that loud, others its loud enough to be uncomfortable. I've sussed this now after a good trash at lunchtime. I'm gonna stick it on stands this afternoon and see whats going on.