• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Warrent

1994legacyrs

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a 3" group a front pipe.. 2.5 mid section with one res and a 4.5" RPS tip.. its probably to loud.

I used to have the identical setup with no res and a factory muffler.. sounded like stock..

so read into that what you will - its like dubs experience above. I think a lot comes down to the tip you slap on the end.

2.5 from the front pipe back is plenty big enough. any bigger will just make it sound worse/louder

Ive got rage downpipes/rage y pipe into 3" exhaust with resonator into 4.5" RPS Muffler and its not super loud. sounds beautiful.

had no problem at last warrent, and that was at nissan with the most anal warrenter you can find :P

Guest boostcut

i have full 3 inch from front to back, 2 mufflers and theyre both falling apart on the inside and i find it pretty quiet, never failed myself on a wof either tho..

Koom said:

The silencer that goes in the exhaust chokes the hell out of the engine as it basically is a small orifice that blocks off flow out of the muffler. I've been trying to solve the same issue with my car and have had to put a big baffled muffler on the end but haven't had time to get it tested again. It definately has taken the noise out of it when you are giving it a bit of stick though.

get a Aussie made free flow V8 muffler - the ones made for the Ford/Holden brigade as an aftermarket centre muffler, they are 3" diameter internal and work very well.

I'll post sum pics of a similar one that we have on our Commywhore shortly

EDIT

IMG_5991-1.jpg

IMG_5988.jpg

IMG_5986.jpg

IMG_5982.jpg

IMG_5981.jpg

This particular one is on a 97 commy that has the muffler mid section (ish) in front of diff and no rear muffler (like how most have by bumper) and she is below 90Db...

My GTB has a similar one and is below the legal threshold

Thats pretty much what I welded onto the back of my exhaust last weekend. Still haven't taken it back to get re-tested but hoping its well below the limits now. I originally was going to put it under the car and keep my stainless muffler but decided it was going to sit too low.

DRFVDR said:

Same muffler I running on my landcruiser :) works very well :) just loud enuff to annoy the neigbours but but quiet enuff to avoid the plod being nasty

I had mine tested ages ago by the AA when it was fitted and came in below legal...

What I like best about it is that it allows the rumble but no droning

1994legacyrs said:

One of those V8 muffler setups looks good. I might have to keep an eye out for one.

You can buy the plain mild steel ones for about $90 brand new, I got mine off tardme for $10. Cost more in gas to drive across town to pick it up :D

Haha might just have to troll Trademe a bit ;)

Just hope it won't be the lowest part of the vehicle - wouldn't want to rip it off on a speed bump ;D

Would it work fine running it with rear big bore? The only other thing is my exhaust is stock (2 inch i believe?) so would it be fine going to the 3 inch muffler?

1994legacyrs said:

Haha might just have to troll Trademe a bit ;)

Just hope it won't be the lowest part of the vehicle - wouldn't want to rip it off on a speed bump ;D

Would it work fine running it with rear big bore? The only other thing is my exhaust is stock (2 inch i believe?) so would it be fine going to the 3 inch muffler?

Ah yes they come in peashooter size too (std commies are 1 3/4" or some thing stupid like that) so shoould be able to get them in any size you want.

I use it as a rear muffler by itself with a chrome tip, fits nicely up in the recess of the std muff(ler) ;D

My wife took our car in to get a warrant and i came home from work and she told me that we had failed our warrant. I then asked her what part of the car did we fail on, she showed me the failed warrant form, and i kid you not i was pissed off.

WE FAILED OUR WARRANT, BECAUSE MY SONS CAR SEAT STRAP!!!!

HOW THE FRICK DOES THAT HAPPEN?

Anyways, i came home early from work the next day and took the car in with the car seat in the boot. I approached one the testers there and asked him who had tested my car for a warrant. He took a look at the form and said that he would go and get him, just as he was about to go get him, he asked if he could look at what he had failed me on.

Long story short, he knew i was pissed and he covered up for his mate by saying that he was off work that day. I caused a fuss about it and they had to call the cops, which ended up being my mate from henderson police.

Frickin pricks at the testing station!!! Grrrrrr!!!!

The strap of the car seat was fine but the clips on the straps that holds baby in had turned out and not in.

It took all but 15 seconds to flip them back the right way and i got pinged for it.

I think they were being A$%HOLES because it was a woman taking it for its warrant. DICKS!!!!

Guest boostcut
 SUBKAP said:

The strap of the car seat was fine but the clips on the straps that holds baby in had turned out and not in.

It took all but 15 seconds to flip them back the right way and i got pinged for it.

I think they were being A$%HOLES because it was a woman taking it for its warrant. DICKS!!!!

where did you take it for a wof?

if you say the vtnz its your own fault, they get paid to fail you not to be your friend.

whats wrong with ordinary garages that do wofs? they still check the same stuff, often have 35$ wof days and actually have a convo with you if they have the time,

I agree re:VTNZ!!

My NA wagon failed on overnoisy exhaust...the vtnz guy said they did not test it but it sounded to him too noisy...i said that magoos had tested it when put on and it was around 91db i took it back with the test and he still did not pass it...i went to a garage and pass!!

The next WOF i took it to the WOF centre and it did fail i got a silencer welded on but it did little diff @ 98db sooooo off i went to the wreckers and bought a stock exhaust...disconected big bore and put the stock on and pass. If you wanted to be cheeky you could always reinstall the big bore then remove for WOF!

My dubbie was also too noisy so i bought an adjustable 3' exhaust which i can adjust with a remote control...perfect for WOF or even if the police stop you and want to do a test!(not that i would do that ;) )

cliffdunedin said:

I agree re:VTNZ!!

My NA wagon failed on overnoisy exhaust...the vtnz guy said they did not test it but it sounded to him too noisy...i said that magoos had tested it when put on and it was around 91db i took it back with the test and he still did not pass it...i went to a garage and pass!!

The next WOF i took it to the WOF centre and it did fail i got a silencer welded on but it did little diff @ 98db sooooo off i went to the wreckers and bought a stock exhaust...disconected big bore and put the stock on and pass. If you wanted to be cheeky you could always reinstall the big bore then remove for WOF!

My dubbie was also too noisy so i bought an adjustable 3' exhaust which i can adjust with a remote control...perfect for WOF or even if the police stop you and want to do a test!(not that i would do that ;) )

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Exhaust/auction-254570105.htm