Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Upgrading from TD05..?

Ryan

Hey guys

I'm looking at purchasing a brand new turbo, and thought that while I'm at it I might as well upgrade if its worth it. Whats the next best model/brand up? Preferably something which will bolt strait on, but I'm guessing that will be pushing my luck ;) I can make adapter plates up if need be.

I'm also rebuilding the engine so if it means upgrading components internally to cope with a slightly bigger turbo that's not a major..just your opinions on whats best please.

Vehicle is WRX STi Version 3 1996.

Do plently of research, there are many web sites with flow charts, compressor maps etc

I have just put a nice Garrett onto the V5, by far best performing turbo I have ever fitted to EJ20

Ichi Ban said:

Do plently of research, there are many web sites with flow charts, compressor maps etc

I have just put a nice Garrett onto the V5, by far best performing turbo I have ever fitted to EJ20

Was that a stock position garret? or custom?

Custom

made adaptor plate from Subaru flange to Garret T25

Rotated turbo and made custom intake also

Makes 1.0 bar at 3700rpm and can make 2.0bar at 4400rpm

Yes I have run at 2bar, All I can say at that boost level..... sex is boring !!

BC5RA said:

Get your TD05 modified and rebuilt.

+1, this should be the best bang for buck method. 18g and 20g compressor wheels are really popular especially overseas and will net you big gains with the supporting mods. Your gearbox may not end up so happy tho.

Ichi Ban said:

Custom

Yes I have run at 2bar, All I can say at that boost level..... *** is boring !!

wat garrett is it?? cuz i am putting a garrett gt2876r in mine atm and just want to see how it will perform on a stock sti engine

PhatRS']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

Get your TD05 modified and rebuilt.

/quote]

+1, this should be the best bang for buck method. 18g and 20g compressor wheels are really popular especially overseas and will net you big gains with the supporting mods. Your gearbox may not end up so happy tho.

+2..

Well with the Td05 with an 18g compressor wheel I got 221 kw atw at 21psi, still little more room to move before maxing it out as I had a fuelling issue that I have to rectify.

I'd recommend for bang for buck go with the Td05 ;), and if that bores u once u get everything up to scratch to cope with the extra power ie handling/brakes then u can start looking at going to something bigger :).

capster']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

Custom

/quote]

wat garrett is it?? cuz i am putting a garrett gt2876r in mine atm and just want to see how it will perform on a stock sti engine

When u mean stock, have u upgraded the fuelling and all alike? As I can see that going pear shaped very quickly thus leading to a expensive rebuild ie forged internals occuring shortly.

WRXER']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

Custom

/quote]

When u mean stock, have u upgraded the fuelling and all alike? As I can see that going pear shaped very quickly thus leading to a expensive rebuild ie forged internals occuring shortly.

no i mean stock internals of a sti engine, its got full fuelling setup and all supporting mods running a g3 link.

Well if you want to get top end out of the turbo ul definitely want to upgrade from the yellows, and also get a walbro fuel pump.

I currently have 650cc sards, surge tank, external walbro fuel pump and internal walbro fuel pump also.

Have to find out the prices but I hear its round the $450-500 mark to get the Td05 rebuilt with a 18g compressor.

depends how much boost and power you want, i reckon with a td05 18g anything over 16psi you would wnat to change your injectors to bigger than 440cc yellow tops, might aswell do the split fuel rails aswell well thats waht i did when i upgraded to a garrett

Yup definitely upgrading the injectors would be the go 650cc will easily perform as long as u have the correct supporting mods. My 650cc's maxed at last tune at 221kw atw, but this is currently getting rectified as it looks like a fuel pressure issue as 650cc can easily handle 240-250kw atw without even getting near maxing out.

So all up upgrading to aftermarket injectors is the go along with an uprated walbro fuel pump and split fuel rail mod as capster said. Oh yes and an aftermarket ECU is a goer, I currently have an Apexi PowerFC and it definitely does the trick but if you have the cash I'd recommend a G4 Link or alike ;)

I'd still recommend upgrading them, 91% is getting high and I understand thru the tuners I have been through that usually you want to be around the 85%-90% duty cycle safety wise. Only takes a decent boost spike for the engine to lean out once ur in the 90's percentage wise. My TD05H with 18g was 221kw at 21psi atw and there is still more room to go tune wise but gotta sort out my fuel pressure issue. Might as well upgrade them to save on a retune down the track, plus leaves u options if u want to upgarde to a garrett or alike since you will definitely need to upgrade at that point. There is several guys on here selling sard 650ccs around so Im sure u could get a decent deal from them.

Just saying that yellows are ok up to this mark, Wouldn't go past this point!

So many people replace injectors and they are nowhere near 218Kw

As noted earlier fuel system must be up to the game.

I'm running an ext bosch pump from a surge take, flow rate at 68psi = 2.0 L/M NICE

The latest beast is running 850cc injectors at 76% with the Garret spooling 1.7bar :)