Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Website front page concept - NOT TAKING INDIVIDUAL SHOTS. PLZ DON'T ASK.

Shale

Looks pretty good - the nitpicker designer in me is currently being chained to the fence though. I'll keep it quiet :P

Not keen on individual car shots as it singles in on one model in each; diversity is the key. As for individual shots being merged, this has been discussed several times in the thread but it looks like arse when they're put together. The best way is to organise photoshoots and rotate THOSE, instead of cars on their own.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shale said:

Looks pretty good - the nitpicker designer in me is currently being chained to the fence though. I'll keep it quiet :P

Not keen on individual car shots as it singles in on one model in each; diversity is the key. As for individual shots being merged, this has been discussed several times in the thread but it looks like arse when they're put together. The best way is to organise photoshoots and rotate THOSE, instead of cars on their own.

Yea your right I suppose. If you can have the cars actually together, there on the scene you're going to get the nice lighting and it would overall look a lot more nicer.

I'd be keen to be a part of a photoshoot if it's in the AKL area. Especially a beach shot or something.

Can't wait for the new layout :)

matty231 said:

Another thing is, why not make 2 dozen pictures with individual cars in them, then each time the page loads, a random one is selected and display. Check out this website, it's my dads, each time you refresh it you'll see a different image.

I can help set this up if you'd like.

http://stevenreidtraining.co.nz/main/news.php

Javascript.

It's teh amazing.

About 2 lines of code, ftw. Ez mode :)

NINJA EDIT - MATTY231 - TABLES?! WUT?!

That's the idea :) That way they all have the same lighting, shadows, contrast and angle. They're all over the frickin' show on the mock-ups I have a few pages back simply because of the individual cars problem. It makes clearcutting and quality control an absolute f**king nightmare.

There's gonna be a big one in Auckland, probably over late Spring or Summer. I'm going to sort out another Raglan cruise, so hopefully as many people as poss can make that one.

deathz0r: YUSSSSSSS.

Shale said:

That's the idea :) That way they all have the same lighting, shadows, contrast and angle. They're all over the frickin' show on the mock-ups I have a few pages back simply because of the individual cars problem. It makes clearcutting and quality control an absolute f**king nightmare.

There's gonna be a big one in Auckland, probably over late Spring or Summer. I'm going to sort out another Raglan cruise, so hopefully as many people as poss can make that one.

deathz0r: YUSSSSSSS.

YAY raglan! That'd be sweet! Best scenery to probably. I'd be happy to come if you want my car, even though it is stock as it was from the factory.

Cutting out cars in photoshop is very hard, well for me at least, mainly the wheels lol, the blackness makes it hard on the undercarriage & wheels.

deathz0r']

[quote name='matty231 said:

Another thing is, why not make 2 dozen pictures with individual cars in them, then each time the page loads, a random one is selected and display. Check out this website, it's my dads, each time you refresh it you'll see a different image.

url]http://stevenreidtraining.co.nz/main/news.php[/url]

Javascript.

It's teh amazing.

Yes Javascript is the best haha, except when it doesn't work with other browsers because it is partially incompatible, then I turn to PHP, despite it's lack of real-time interaction.

After being trained in that sh!t in school for 3 years + a qualification on top, and 5.5 years in the industry as a graphic designer... I can do one in 30 seconds flat no worries. It's easy ;) It's matching it amongst a brazillion others that's the pig. Lighting is the enemy in montage.

matty231']

Javascript.

It's teh amazing.

Yes Javascript is the best haha, except when it doesn't work with other browsers because it is partially incompatible, then I turn to PHP, despite it's lack of real-time interaction.

Umm... dude.

HTTP Requests - 207

^On your galleries page. That should be WAY less, have you tried loading it in different browsers? Thought about implementing 'next' and 'previous' page functions? And um... I wouldn't code in tables/export from Photoshop... thats... like... so... 1995...

deathz0r']

Javascript.

It's teh amazing.

Umm... dude.

HTTP Requests - 207

^On your galleries page. That should be WAY less, have you tried loading it in different browsers? Thought about implementing 'next' and 'previous' page functions? And um... I wouldn't code in tables/export from Photoshop... thats... like... so... 1995...

Made this site last year, I now use DIV tags. More cross-compatible.

deathz0r']

[quote name='chrisjunkie said:

Don't use javascript, just a PHP based script that rotates through images randomly. Piss easy to do ;D

/quote]

Says the networking admin.

DON'T TRUST HIM.

I say for keeping everything tidy and cross-compatible use PHP but JS can be helpful (if used right) to make a more attractive / dynamic interface. Yet i'm more PHP savvy than JS, so i can do something in PHP way easier than JS.

JoKer said:

meh - Clubsub Mum's sig was 1.4mb.. (i fiX03d that)

It'll be that or bigger. Severely restrictive for who can view it, especially if someone's internet has been capped and they pay per megabyte. Basically really bad practise so we won't be doing it - it'll be one of the above that they're fighting about ;D

matty231 said:

I say for keeping everything tidy and cross-compatible use PHP but JS can be helpful (if used right) to make a more attractive / dynamic interface. Yet i'm more PHP savvy than JS, so i can do something in PHP way easier than JS.

Ahh.

JS - less requests. FTW.

Edit - I actually mean JQuery, cos its ftw.

@JoKer - I see you editing stuffs in the background. Nice italics and more stars :P

deathz0r']

/quote]

Ahh.

JS - less requests. FTW.

Edit - I actually mean JQuery, cos its ftw.

@JoKer - I see you editing stuffs in the background. Nice italics and more stars :P

Yes, jQuery FTW. It is reallllly helpful, cool things too.

Shale said:

That would be a high bandwidth option. A flash or HTML5 option could also be concievable, but again, high bandwidth. Okay for those of us in the city ;D

Either that or different pages show a different banner.

Plan A is to create a simple, usable but VERY attractive, modern website that displays the spirit of the club. Plan B is to start messing with heavy graphics and generally make it a bit more wanky (read: make deathz0r go grey) ;D

Before we embark on that I might start a 'show us your bandwidth' thread and poll, much like the one on DOBC. As noted on there, there's a massive difference...someone on the slowest (read: near dial-up speeds) will be waiting for ages for a header to download, whereas those of us in the main centres could sit there bashing refresh to see all the different banner options ;D

Sorry to dig up a slightly older reply, but I'm fairly sure that you can actually have a very small script load first thing on the page, and then judge the user's bandwidth speed. From that info you can load low detail graphics to high detail graphics - All depending on speed.

FTW?