Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

When do demerits expire

Scoobydoo

So me and my flatmates were having this discussion tonight - When do demerit points for traffic offences expire? Two of us were always of the opinion that they expired 2 years from the offence, but our third flatmate was told that it was only after 2 years of non-offending. So you could be 2 months away from losing points from an offence 22 months prior, but then if you get another offence then they will stay on until another 2 years of clean history.

I looked up on the police website but it had no answer. The NZTA site stated this: "Demerit points will also be cancelled if you have not offended for two years."

Can anyone truely confirm one way or the other on this subject?

i thought they were only wiping 100 demerits when you get disqualified, something bout people getting 200 demerits before the police take their license then all them being wiped and them starting to get demerits as soon as they have a license again ??? or maybe it was just something they were thinking of doing.

wheres clint he will know... :-X

Lots of Mis info here!

Get 100 demerits in a 12 month period - 6m disqualification

Get 100 Demerits in a two year period - 3m disqualification

Demerits drop off after two years from the date of the offence.

Demerits are active only from the date you pay your fine, or it goes to courts for collection. HOWEVER, they are retrospectively applied from the date of the offence.

If you recieve a court imposed disqualification, your existing demerits are only wiped if the sentence is 6 months or greater. If your suspension is demerits related, your demerits will get wiped irrespective of the length of your sentence.

In the case of a disqualification, your points are wiped at the beginning of the sentence. This is handy to know if you have offences carrying demerits working their way through the system. clear these up before you get served, or the points value will not be wiped

Edit: This is irrespective of how many times your license has been suspended for demerits breaches!

you can actually ring them with your license number and they can tell you...i lost my last lot of demerits last month!! YAY...but sadly...i am still driving slowly!!

RSB said:

Lots of Mis info here!

Get 100 demerits in a 12 month period - 6m disqualification

Get 100 Demerits in a two year period - 3m disqualification

Demerits drop off after two years from the date of the offence.

Demerits are active only from the date you pay your fine, or it goes to courts for collection. HOWEVER, they are retrospectively applied from the date of the offence.

If you recieve a court imposed disqualification, your existing demerits are only wiped if the sentence is 6 months or greater. If your suspension is demerits related, your demerits will get wiped irrespective of the length of your sentence.

In the case of a disqualification, your points are wiped at the beginning of the sentence. This is handy to know if you have offences carrying demerits working their way through the system. clear these up before you get served, or the points value will not be wiped

Edit: This is irrespective of how many times your license has been suspended for demerits breaches!

This must be new then, as it wasnt like this when i got DQ'd

QRAF']

[quote name='DPI said:

Or, you could just not get any... :P

/quote]

+ 1 million

I have not had a demerit in 10 years

and is not like i drive like a nana

I know paint your car red with a gold flake its like flys on dog poo.

you in a little hick town?

fiaboi']

i have an idea on how to avoid getting speeding tickets....try going at the posted speed limit,might work ;)

that'll never work...

[quote name='Super Troopers said:

Thorny: after pulling car over] Do you know how fast you were going back there?

College Boy 1: Umm... 65?

Thorny: 63.

College Boy 1: But... isn't the speed limit 65?

Thorny: Yes, it is.

College Boy 3: [stoned] I'm freakin' out, man!

• General Member
 fiaboi said:

i have an idea on how to avoid getting speeding tickets....try going at the posted speed limit,might work ;)

good in theory but never a guarantee - I remember the days when speed limits were painted on the ground! (some areas still do)

far more effective than a wee sign on a 2-3m pole in some situations (yea I got pinged for doing 100 in a 70 zone - never saw sign over 5 years ago)