Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Driving legislative changes upcoming!

ODB

• General Member

really hacks me off they twist stats to suit.. (who doesnt)

take road toll... 400 something, no good in any way but pretty static over last 5 years (I assume)

then take into account the number of cars on out roads... I bet that is no way static a static number... 5 years ago maybe 20% less cars on road than today? THATS a whole 1/5th, can you see what I am saying? proportionately R/toll should be 500 on same rate of increase....

then they start the whole : lets raise the age/lower the drink limit... debacle (which may or may not be a good idea)

anyone recall the Global warming thing where we were apparently the worst per capita of cabon emitters in the world? - they someone realised we also have heaps of trees/forest to offset that go figure!

However I did not notice anything mentioned about the state of our roads

Lets address the cheapest options

Lets not address that our roading network is third world at the best (if u dont live in a city I mean ) :)

PPFFFFTTTTTTT

is all I can say

NO drink driving at all I say

NO under the influence I say

Make a lower limit as well say 80 km/hr if u or your vehicle cant drive above this take a bus

aahhhhh that feels better

:)

yep agree with everything bar the right turn/left turn thing...also yea need to fix the roads but that wont happen cos of massive $$ shortage...

wonder how long before we get microchipped.. im still going to teach my kids how to drive from age 10 onwards...only way to get good is to practice :P

Hah, we're turning into australia.

Tbh, that t intersection thing needs to be done just because 90% of people do it that way anyway, so that's fine by me. Don't really approve of the right/left turn one either though.

The '120 hours' thing would be a little dumb though. By that I mean arbitrary. I'm pretty sure I didn't have more than maybe 60 or so whilst on my learners, and I got my learners in 2005 and haven't even been involved in an accident thus far, let alone caused one. So it's not like small hours automatically = omg crash. (and no, it's not cos I don't drive much, I'm pretty sure I do in excess of 15,000k/year)

dubbedup said:

yep agree with everything bar the right turn/left turn thing...

More out of interest than anything but why dont you agree with it?

Anyway my 2c...

As an ex ambo & Fire service volly this rule at intersections was the cause of most of my vehicle related call outs (even small accidents the Fire service has to attend if fuel/oil is spilt in sufficient volume)

NZ has had this part of the giveway rule keckhanded compared to the rest of the world since they started it...

About time they fixed it IMHO

I dont like that they are wanting to change the Give way rule.

Its been around for so long and thats what people are used to here.

Every one will be getting confused and not giving way right and alot of accidents will happen.

One of the reasons they changed it in the first place was because off all the cars blocking up the lanes when turning right.

left or right i dont really care, but it makes more sense to be in line with the rest of the world, if you got half a brain its not hard to change over.

and i agree with the rest of what they are doing, if i was nearly 15 and bout to get my licence i probably wouldnt agree but hey, i must admit both of my write-off accidents were when i was 15-16 which was me been stupid thinking i could do anything i wanted, and i have never had one since. even if it changes to 16 there are still countries with higher driving ages already.

the farmers complaining, well they manage to get their kids around for 15 years, so whats one more? you cant leave school til 16 anyway.

ryanc said:

Hopefully the power restriction law doesnt get passed. I dont want to sell my car !

no doubt by the time it comes into effect (new laws come into effect generally the 1st of october or the 1st of april after they are passed) you will no longer be in the position to care :)

Last year when I visited nz, we nearly caused, easily a dozen accidents with the right/left give way thing!

And now I know about it, I'm still not sure when to give way to the right and not to give way - then there is the 'zebra' crossings right before/after small round-abouts! Nearly ran a few pedestrians over too..

Could someone please explain when you do give way to someone turning across your street.

Bumpty said:

Last year when I visited nz, we nearly caused, easily a dozen accidents with the right/left give way thing!

And now I know about it, I'm still not sure when to give way to the right and not to give way - then there is the 'zebra' crossings right before/after small round-abouts! Nearly ran a few pedestrians over too..

Could someone please explain when you do give way to someone turning across your street.

Unless there are signs indicating otherwise, give way to the car that can crash into your driver door and kill you. Easiest way to remember it in practice tbh.

120 hours you have got to be kidding me, when i got my licence it cost about $50 an hour, and that was 8 years ago. That would make it $6k so we would just end up with a large number of kids driving with no licence and no plans to get one.

By the way Joker, since the 70's the road toll has halved and the amount of distance traveled has doubled

As for power restriction, i think we should take a hint from the rally world, 32mm restricter. The best thing is you can tell them the race cars use them :D

GregNZ101 said:

120 hours you have got to be kidding me, when i got my licence it cost about $50 an hour, and that was 8 years ago. That would make it $6k so we would just end up with a large number of kids driving with no licence and no plans to get one.

By the way Joker, since the 70's the road toll has halved and the amount of distance traveled has doubled

One would assume it would be like australia where it doesn't have to be 120 hours of 'professional' instruction, just you have a log book thing and your dad/mum/sibling/friend/etc has to fill out every time they take you for a lesson and what was covered. Bureaucracy ahoy, but not really any more expensive.

Also, did we have compulsary seat belts in the 70's? :P

GregNZ101 said:

Uhm you will find that the supervised 120 hours will include parents/suitably licensed drivers (i.e. full licence for more than 2years like at the moment).

Also forgot to add in my previous post:

A licence is a privilege not a rite... Sooner people start acting like that the better (infact lets adopt the German licensing system, we shall see then how many people get a licence)

phatrex said:

Where's the compulsary insurance piece? ???

+ 1

but really will it make a difference,how many cars do you know of that are running around without a current WOF or REGO . so no insurance wont make a diffeerence to this...

It is of course a great idea but as with most seems too be hard to police.

• General Member
 GregNZ101 said:

thanks (havnt been watching this thread much)

My original point exactly - based on that is the toll that bad? (like i said it is never good) but there is ALWAYS going to be 'some' regardless (Chaos theory/Jurrasic park/Life will find a way/build something foolproof and they build a better fool)

DRFVDR']

[quote name='phatrex said:

Where's the compulsary insurance piece? ???

/quote]

+ 1

but really will it make a difference,how many cars do you know of that are running around without a current WOF or REGO . so no insurance wont make a diffeerence to this...

It is of course a great idea but as with most seems too be hard to police.

Generally aimed at anyone who cares to read it:

Also makes for mucho mondo extra cost... (currently every country that requires this as part of rego has it as their version of ACC - it wont cover your car or porperty if the muppet hits you, its known as "loved ones insurance"). You still then have to get insurance for your car (and property, medical as they then would have to drop ACC...)

This 3rd party insurance will be expensive because it now has to cover all f#ckwits (yes those that cant drive, shouldnt drive, lost their licence, uninsurable etc), as it stands insurance companies can ensure reasonable rates because they can decline to insure those hat cant drive, shouldnt drive, lost their licence, uninsurable etc...

How would you like to pay $800 a year to register your car (our rego is currently about $800 per year for a HYUNDAI GETZ, its dearer for a turbo car...)

The big problem with that (as DRFVDR has eluded to) is that it still wont curb unregistered/unwarranted/illegally modified/etc cars on the road... It also wont stop those without licences driving and acting like muppets on the roads either... So whats the point then??? we go broke to pay for them? we already do via ACC levies so why get double dipped on again?

So why waste the money on that nonsense just to line the pockets of insurance companies??? or would you like to be poorer than you are currently and go for the 3rd party insurance ??

have a think about your back pocket not the political trype doing the rounds

Also heard there are plans to introduce regs covering minimum tyre width for specific wheel widths.

That should get rid of the wannabee-drifter morons who go for the stretched look in-extremis.

:D

Maybe they should look at maximum widths too to stop clowns driving around on balloon tyres.

:P

im yet to see any real issues with excessive stretch, only once have we had a tire pop off, that was coz it went flatish and the chap did a skid on it.

if there well inflated and looked after, we have had no issues :(

-smurff

Guest DMSREX

The left hand turn rules needs to change to bring NZ in line with the rest of the world. I driven in quite a few different countries and its just easier than the dumb arse rule we have here.