Subru

Is my clutch going?

40 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Kiwiflyboy said:


This was mine when it was really just hanging out c6f5ee8b4a90241dec60ea05134c847f.jpg
It should be almost flush up against the diff. When it comes out under power well mine did sometimes it would make a crunch noise too as the spines slipped

Thanks for that. ill take a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. It's the clutch.

2. It's the clutch.

3. Pretending it's not the clutch will not make it not the clutch.

4. I bet you're going to pretend it's not the clutch and send it to get tuned and Chris will come back and say "I couldn't tune it because the clutch just slipped a whole bunch when I loaded it on the dyno"

5. It's the clutch.

6. My advice is to stop considering which wheels you want to put on it and instead replace the clutch.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, boon said:

1. It's the clutch.

2. It's the clutch.

3. Pretending it's not the clutch will not make it not the clutch.

4. I bet you're going to pretend it's not the clutch and send it to get tuned and Chris will come back and say "I couldn't tune it because the clutch just slipped a whole bunch when I loaded it on the dyno"

5. It's the clutch.

6. My advice is to stop considering which wheels you want to put on it and instead replace the clutch.

Lol im not pretending its not the clutch.

Anyway im gonna get llamas to take a look at it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the clutch but I have a lingering feeling it might actually be

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

clutch :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ha, you've already waited ~5 months, maybe wait another 5 months just in case it isn't:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. I know its something to do with the clutch. Just confused why it hasnt gotten any worse. Its been doing the same thing for most of the last 5 months.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Car clutches are pretty resilient, well, compared to a roadbike clutch, once those start going you've gotta turn around and hope you make it home lol (exaggerated but you get my point)

 

Might aswell upgrade your clutch if your going to get a new one put in

My new clutch is abit annoying to engage (cos its so badass) but I tried to see what kinda treatment it could handle, did a launch @ 7500RPM on highboost with launch control on, clutch grabbed no sweat

 

1st gear whines a little now though :P no more of that

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find a steep hill..

Drive up in 4th gear..

At 3000rpm stamp on the gas..

This should tell you the condition of the clutch..

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pedro said:

Find a steep hill..

Drive up in 4th gear..

At 3000rpm stamp on the gas..

This should tell you the condition of the clutch..

ill do this and video it dash, and if it slips, ill upload it,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few options for clutches and I dont know much about them so I need some help here

I have some options:

"Genuine subaru clutch" $795 through Llama engineering

"Exeddy clutch kit" $950 also through Llama (too expensive) 

 

Subaru 6 Speed 25% Uprated Clutch/ Flywheel Combo: $830

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/clutches/auction-1480126356.htm?rsqid=6b3293328eca41fda9f27e707fad7405

 

Subaru 6 Speed EJ20T 25% UpratedClutch $420

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/clutches/auction-1480126147.htm?rsqid=6b3293328eca41fda9f27e707fad7405

 

Subaru 6 Speed Creamic EJ20T 25% UpratedClutch $520

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/clutches/auction-1480211091.htm?rsqid=6b3293328eca41fda9f27e707fad7405

 

I want it do be nice to drive still but wanna allow for some decent power one day. Are these trademe ones worth looking at or is genuine clutch the way to go?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Drew's do a pretty good job. The factory clutch is an Exedy, I have the uprated one (probably the more expensive one above) and it's been fine for 3 years at 268wkw.

 

I put in a lightweight flywheel while it was all in pieces because it's a bastard to get in there. It will be an expensive job if you have a mechanic do it. If you decide to do it yourself, I reckon pulling the engine out is probably easier than removing the box, if you don't have a hoist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, boon said:

I believe Drew's do a pretty good job. The factory clutch is an Exedy, I have the uprated one (probably the more expensive one above) and it's been fine for 3 years at 268wkw.

 

I put in a lightweight flywheel while it was all in pieces because it's a bastard to get in there. It will be an expensive job if you have a mechanic do it. If you decide to do it yourself, I reckon pulling the engine out is probably easier than removing the box, if you don't have a hoist.

Im gonna get Llama to install it.

Would be nice to pull the engine and replace timing belt, rocker cover gaskets and all that stuff...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Subru said:

Im gonna get Llama to install it.

 

Well if you're spending all that $$ anyway, may as well spend an extra $300 and get a fancy flywheel. They are a tiny bit S*** to drive in stop-go traffic as it's easier to bog the car and stall, but when you rev-match a downshift with a light flywheel it's quite a beautiful thing.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boon said:

 

Well if you're spending all that $$ anyway, may as well spend an extra $300 and get a fancy flywheel. They are a tiny bit S*** to drive in stop-go traffic as it's easier to bog the car and stall, but when you rev-match a downshift with a light flywheel it's quite a beautiful thing.

 

I had a light one circa 4kg ish and loathed it as a daily. Couldnt see any merit to it tbh. Hated the way it died on casual downshift and coming to a stop. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run a 4kg flywheel. Car drives a lot nicer with it imo. I always blip throttle on downshift anyway so never had any issues. I would recommend it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Steve

      Anyone going to Automania Auto festival tomorrow up at North Shore events centre?
      · 0 replies
    • Steve

      Does anyone else on here know or own one of the crouching tigers?
      · 1 reply
    • Matty t  »  gotasuby

      Help me please Hi iv fitted a dump valve to my vectra c 19 cdti 150 bhp. The 1 I bought was a twinport or receculation valve I don't no just bought and had a go of fitting it my self.  On looking at the car I thought I needed to block the 2nd port so have done bought a t and fitted it on the main intake Of The top Of The intercooler to the inlet on to Of The head.  Ran the bleed pipe and td it in to the on top Of The intake now it's just realeasing through the revs rather than when I lift of it's not because I blocked the other port is it thanks
      · 0 replies
    • WKDWRX

      https://www.instagram.com/p/BPPX4eLDujb/
      · 0 replies
    • Gordy Da Hori Hoon  »  RAYDEO

      Hi there,
      I paid online $20: for a 12 months ClubSub subscription.
      I am still waiting to receive:
      A Free ClubSub sticker A Welcome Letter & Membership Card A Discount Code for store items Can this be sorted, please.   Kind Regards,   Gordy Da Hori Hoon.     Hi Gordy Da Hori Hoon, 
      Thank you for your order at ClubSUB - All We'll Drive. Your payment has been received and approved. 

      — ClubSUB - All We'll Drive 
        Order #86

      View Order 

        Billing Address
      Gordon Samuels
      2/5 Arawa Street
      Papakura
      Auckland
      2110
        Payment Details
      Status  ✓ Approved
      Method  PayPal
      Transaction ID  3FY28950NY200842S
      Date  04/17/17 10:33 AM
      Amount  $20.00
        Order Details
       ItemTotal
      1 x 12 months$20.00
      Subtotal$20.00
      Total$20.00
       
      · 0 replies
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Forum Statistics

    37,659
    Total Topics
    533,474
    Total Posts