Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

CAR STARTS, new problem

it is white smoke (which majkes me think its oil not petrol) but when i hold my hand over the exhasut i can smell petrol and my hand gets wet...with watery substanse...(is there anyway H/G issue could cause these symtoms)

also only really smokes badly off idle....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run it, check the spark plugs, then you'll have a better chance of figuring out whats leaking into the engine before spending more cash. The water is quite likely just the byproduct of the combustion of hydrocarbons i.e. oil and/or fuel, so you're not likely to know unless you check whats happening inside the engine.

dubbedup']

well two things required for car = go..

Air and fuel.

koom is on to it, check out one side of the equation and rule that out... then look at the other - simple process of elimination

car goes...we got it going last night...just was very wet fumes coming out the back, ie water/petrol, i still personally think it has nothing to do with inj...

You have the smell of fuel coming out the back with clouds of smoke and you reckoned you went through 5 litres of fuel in 2kms. Yeah I reckon thats got nothing to do with the injectors aswell ::)

You need to either get your information clearer before you ask a question, or you need to have a big long think about what you are replying with cause at the moment, I have no idea how you are coming to the conclusions that you are coming to unless the information that you are giving us is completely up to fu** all.

And have you checked the state of the plugs yet? Although you really need to run the car then check them straight away to see what they are covered in.

sorry this ain't my thread...but he was completely out of petrol, we went to shell which only had a 5 L container which we could borrow...so im guessing 5L aint gunna do ****....

[quote name='EJ20T said:

dude, i think at this point with all the f'ing around just take it to someone, i mean with all this amature stuff your pulling off like not have gas in it, its not smoke from being over rich, unless its so rich that unburnt fuel is getting into the exhaust, in that case you will be getting big back fires

/quote]

I think your missing the point with ****wit comments like this, yeah maybe amature mistake but we figured it out 5 mins from looking at the car...(did kingersman say he was a mechanic, no he is someone who doenst want to be ripped of by a shop) i personally feel the turb he brought under the impression it was a good one is actually ****ed.

If money was growing on trees why would we ask for advice on a forum...when we could jsut take it to a shop?

so im a fuckwit because i was attempting to give serious advice ( in the last oh my wrx wont go after ive worked on it thread ) and he didnt want to take it there, as was to busy attempting to start it with no gas in it. yeah im the bad guy. to address the smoking, does the smoke hang around? does it smell oily? is there still a fuck load of oil in the intake? are you sure the returns not blocked causing the seals to leak? oh thats rite taking it to a shop where a skilled and experienced person will fix simple problems that you guys are making sound hard in exchange for money is being ripped off

well one piece of advice, when giving details about your problem give accurate info, and you will get better replys, that will get your car fixed faster, cheaper, easier. has the amount of smoke changed since getting it going?

If it's white etc then it can be fuel, had the same issue with my wrx and it was issues with injector seals. From reading this it mirrors the issues I've had over the years.... high fuel usage, runs like ass, white smoke, moist/reaks of fuel.

Personally Im putting my money on issues with either Vacuum or there is issues with ur injectors/plugs.

funkytown']

[quote name='WRXER said:

Personally Im putting my money on issues with either Vacuum or there is issues with ur injectors/plugs.

/quote]

+1...

it doesnt take to long to pop the inj out and check for pressure and or leaks and reseat them with new o rings

and/or check the sparkplugs to see what they tell you.

Koom']

[quote name='WRXER said:

/quote]

+1...

it doesnt take to long to pop the inj out and check for pressure and or leaks and reseat them with new o rings

and/or check the sparkplugs to see what they tell you.

checking the gap while your there.. work backwards to leads / space and coil pack / igniter as required.

Guest boostin
 kingersman said:

ok firstly... how the hell do you remove the injectors ? i unpluged them and cant seem to get them out

I use some 90o pliers, and twist and pull. Beware of the fuel spray though. The rail is probably still under pressure.

some advice..

most of the replies in this thread are from clued up people, who are trying to help from a distance. suggestions regarding the injectors may seem irrelevant to you, but there are good reasons, if you understood them then you wouldn't be asking. this is what annoys the tech gurus.

you don't need to remove the injectors from the seats yet. as Koom said a page back, remove the whole rail and prime the system, check for leaks. if it leaks, bingo. if it doesn't, report back and the guys will take that on-board and make further suggestions.

i know its frustrating and there is a lot to learn, but making enemy's with the other users isn't going to fix your car.

i'd love to lend a hand, but currently stupid busy trying to make my own one go, work and study. good luck.

ok now i pulled my spark plugs out... found out that in cylinder #1 the spark was almost completely cleaned so i decided to pull the injector out as well... i dont know if this is normal but a bit of fuel shot out when i pulled the injector out... the "o rings" look fine but cant tell about the injector...

pics uploaded soon

ok pics..

the "normal" ones....

Pic_0313_054.jpg

Pic_0313_053.jpg

the "clean" ones

Pic_0313_056.jpg

Pic_0313_055.jpg

the injector and the rings

Pic_0313_057.jpg

Pic_0313_058.jpg

ok, couple of questions, did the car run ok before the turbo poped? does the car smoke alot at idle? does it run rough at idle? . one test i want you to do, start the car and idle it for 5 mins without touching the gas pedal. watch the exhaust pipe and check if it starts smoking more as you idle it longer, then at the end of the five minutes give it a rev to like 5k and look at the smoke. If at idle it starts smoking more as time goes then when you rev it it makes a huge cloud its about 90% chance that the seals in the turbo u have are f'd

kingersman said:

ok now i pulled my spark plugs out... found out that in cylinder #1 the spark was almost completely cleaned so i decided to pull the injector out as well... i dont know if this is normal but a bit of fuel shot out when i pulled the injector out... the "o rings" look fine but cant tell about the injector...

A clean sparkplug would suggest that no combustion has occured in that chamber. Can't tell from those pics if they are just cleaner than the others, or clean as in they've never set fire to anything (need to turn on the "Macro" function to do close ups, generally is a flower shaped icon on the camera).

Did you run the engine just before taking them out? So that way, if one or more cylinders is being flooded, you can still see fuel on the plug before it has time to evaporate away.... or has the car sat there for a week before pulling them out?

As Kameniko reiterated, you don't need to pull the injectors out of the rails. You need to check the injectors in the rails to see if they are leaking past the o-rings. Taking them out of each rail is just wasting time at the moment.

That one cylinder that has a clean sparkplug, I'd guess from here that it doesn't have any fuel going to it. There's ways to check for spark in each cylinder aswell but I'm not going to go into that as you'll probably just check to see if your breather hoses are connected instead ::)