Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

sump baffle

Pappu1

Shale said:

I'm doing that + split fuel rail to whichever car is planned for the track :) Bloody cheap insurance IMO.

Spit fuel rail for the HX, now thats funny.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shale said:

Hey troll, you know as well as I do that it's not happening on the current engine. Back under your bridge! ::) 8)

Hey that's name calling

Stoffa said:

5L of castrol edge 10w60

Lost pressure at the same time oil temp started going above 120, I headed back to the pits and as shale says nunganunganunga.

Damn, i run the same oil and got nowhere near the same oil temp, i hit 90 max all day. Topping up wiht about 1/2 a litre extra in the morning.

I was shifitng at around 7k each time and backing off once i hit 6500 in 5th on the back straight. And as NewSuba said i was in a gear higher than norm during cornering.

On the street it runs between 90-100, I've never really thrashed it for long enough to see if it got any higher, before I put the oil cooler in it used to get up to about 110.

When I went past the start/finish it was on about 110 by the time I got to the far side of the track it hit 120 then and oil pressure had dropped to about 30psi.

It may have gone before it got to 110 but I couldn't hear it with my helmet on.

my engine had done 138000kms so maybe just old age

TURTLE']

[quote name='Stoffa said:

5L of castrol edge 10w60

Lost pressure at the same time oil temp started going above b]120[/b], I headed back to the pits and as shale says nunganunganunga.

Damn, i run the same oil and got nowhere near the same oil temp, i hit 90 max all day. Topping up wiht about 1/2 a litre extra in the morning.

Just a thought, my oil temp sensor is in the block above number 3 cylinder, if yours is still in the sump then mine will always read hotter than yours. I'll get heat soak and you'll have the rest of the oil in the sump that will show a lower temp reading I would imagine

TURTLE']

5L of castrol edge 10w60

Lost pressure at the same time oil temp started going above b]120[/b], I headed back to the pits and as shale says nunganunganunga.

I was shifitng at around 7k each time and backing off once i hit 6500 in 5th on the back straight. And as NewSuba said i was in a gear higher than norm during cornering.

One day i'd like to get to the bottom of why your oil doesnt heat up, are you hiding a cooler somewhere? :P

i got 218,000kms on my standard ver5 engine, if it wasn't for the brakes issue i would of stayed out there but that was due to my noob track work and not understanding the importance of the cool down lap.

only upgrades are the exhaust and vf22 on the engine only boosting 7-9psi might of saved me tho.

I was told at the track day that the ver5-6 sumps are better than the ver1-4

IMO, this is going by what ive seen/done. unless the sump was extremely starved from oil there is no way the pickup would ever come uncoverd unless you had +800hp and were able to do -56sec around pukekohe. i have just forked out over 17g on my engine and i mentioned the whole baffled sump idea to my engine builder and he had the basic principal that with the standard flow of oil going back into the sump, all the baffles would be doing is slowing the speed at which the oil can get back to the pickup. another form of protection (which i have just fitted to the car) is an accusump.

Guest keltik

In rally work i can understand the uber importance of a baffled sump....but has anyone tested the effects of lateral g's on the stock sump? How much does that oil really slosh around?

keltik said:

In rally work i can understand the uber importance of a baffled sump....but has anyone tested the effects of lateral g's on the stock sump? How much does that oil really slosh around?

rally is not nearly as bad as circuit (on sticky tyres), they slide a lot on gravel!

The good old water test will tell you what you need to know - fill a stock sump with water, hold it in your hands and move it side to side in large quick movements, then see how much water comes out ;) (and goes all over you!)

Optical']

5L of castrol edge 10w60

One day i'd like to get to the bottom of why your oil doesnt heat up, are you hiding a cooler somewhere? :P

I reckon his gauge or sensor is faulty and it reads low.... no way doing laps the temp would stay that low.

I gave murry a call at possum borne motorsport today, he said the baffle they add to a factory one is all they ever recommend, he said they've never had one of their engine die from lack of oil.

at only $200 they're a whole lot cheaper than $1400 at trade for a moroso one, stupid exchange rate!

Stoffa said:

I gave murry a call at possum borne motorsport today, he said the baffle they add to a factory one is all they ever recommend, he said they've never had one of their engine die from lack of oil.

at only $200 they're a whole lot cheaper than $1400 at trade for a moroso one, stupid exchange rate!

How many of their customer cars do circuit racing with sticky tyres though?

WRC Developments are in the process of making a kit which would sit half way between the PBMS one and ones like the Moroso... get in contact with Warren and he will sort you out if youre interested.

Zen performance are also doing a kit this year. Will not be cheap

Murray gave me the same story on their modded sumps - That was the year Cody took a PBM prepared Sti to a class production win? at 12h Bathhurst.