Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy single turbo repower

sketchy-d

hey there, im new to this website but i am a scooby enthusiast that needs some help. i have a 97 gtb that has a damaged big end and blown head gasket. i am looking into replacing the current ej20tt motor with a single turbo wrx motor. is there anyone on here that has done a similar conversion to this as i need to know the following..

other than engine, loom, computer, air flow metre and exhaust is there any other parts or materials i will need?

I will be replacing my engine with a 97 ej20t with clutch and flywheel attached (same year as the current one). will this bolt right up to my current 97 gear box, and will i have to alter my drive shaft in any way? any help with this would be greatly appreciated as i am on the bus until i get this thing finished.

ReubenH has a detailed thread regarding this here;

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,74.msg167.html#msg167

Don't need the loom or the afm. Use yours and get a V3 or V4 STI ECU to run it.

The engine is the same between the EJ20TT and the EJ20T so it bolts up the same to your gearbox and uses the same clutch (GTB ones have a higher rated clamping pressure from memory).

dacerx said:

need a wrx gearbox crossmember

I thought this too, but turned out I didn't. Maybe it was the type of Downpipe I got (Rage Siamese) but it didn't foul on the GTB crossmember. Will also need single turbo headers, but I guess that's part of your exhaust requirements as indicated.

The wiring is easy, just 4 wires need to be combined into 2.

Hi guys, have sourced the engine for my conversion- ej20t 1997 non sti. has 70,000ks and includes clutch, from Rosco Subaru in Ashburton for $1400+gst. Have found version 4 full sti exhaust on trade me for $200. Also have computer sussed for around the $120 mark. All going well, i should be lifting the old engine out this weekend. Cheers for the replies guys, i will post pics of my progress.

sketchy-d said:

havnt bought ecu yet, only have the one in my current car. The outfit selling me the motor said they would do a deal for me if i buy the motor

ok well look up on the ecu charts here on the forum.. you need the STI ecu to match the yellows & orange AFM.

6S is the v3 sti ecu.. i cant remember what the V4 one is off hand.

JoKer said:

not ideal with a sti ecu with a WRX motor... will work but be careful :P

I think they have the same internals as the GTB/RSB's i.e. cast pistons. Not terrible and should handle the STI tune without issue, I just wouldn't be pushing any further by winding up the boost or anything like that.

the 1S JDM ECU is better suited to a non STI WRX motor, its non STI but is made to run VF22 and yellows with orange AFM.

Where-as STI 6S ECUs are made for for full on forged STI engines

In saying that, my old V3/4 STI had a replacement engine which was a JDM with VF22 etc, it had non forged internals obviously but went hard as on std boost etc.

yea, either a 1S or a 6S, the one i have is a 1S but as mentioned cant sell just yet.

So i guess just take the cheapest one you can find at the time.

Reckon yud be fine with a 6S but just be weary it has a tune suited to a engine with forged internals, no biggy really :D

Hey guys, got all the gear i needed today from the wreckers that had the motor. Parts i bought were:

-97 ej20t 70,000 ks

-WRX downpipe

-1s ecu

-wiring loom (just for shits and gigs really, he threw it in free)

-Pair of STI front seats

-STI intercooler and bracket

-STI carbon strut brace

Pretty stoked with all my stuff, engine will come out in the a.m should have some pics tomorrow night. =p

• 2 weeks later...

Conversion went sweet, thanks for all your help guys. Am trying hard to get some pics up but cant fint the damn cable for my camera.

Big thanks to Tony Green (bourne2rally.com) for doing the mechanical stuff, and Jase for helping us out with the wiring and boost solenoids. Thanks again guys, will try and get some pics up as soon as i find that bloody cable haha