Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car goes nugga nugga nugga nugaa, now stuck in first gear *PICS*

caspros

So, decided to take the race car today, as it hadn't been out for a few weeks. After having to jump it, having it fail repeatedly and stall leaving me deserted until someone with jumpers came and saved me, it started making weird crunching noises, only when the clutch was out. Thought it was safe enough to drive home, it started getting worse and worse, nugga nugga nugga constantly, then going up a steep hill, started jerking, grabbing, then stuck in first gear.

Making a hell of a racket, crawling along at 15km/hr, I managed to get it home, where I found even with the engine off, it still won't get out of first gear.

I have a video of the noise, will try and get it off my phone to get on here.

So, is the whole thing just screwed now ? What would cause this, assuming it's either gearbox has decided to disappear, or the clutch ?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either you've got something loose floating around in your gearbox and its jammed it into first gear, or the Nugga nugga nugga sound is the one we all dread, though I don't know how that would get your gearbox stuck into first? Can you tell where the Nuggax3 noise is coming from exactly?

Oh dear......

Your prophesy fulfilled huh....

Sounds like something in the box has had a serious meltdown...

When my 2nd blew it spat bits everywhere and even in neutral when i let the clutch out it would make some seriously nasty noises..

Even being towed with my foot on the clutch it was picking up bits of gears in the front diff and making really bat know/clunk noises..

first thing i would suggest is draining the gearbox oil and see what comes out..

Doesn't sound good though.

It was weird, it sounded like it was coming from the front left, so I just thought something was binding up, then just got progressively worse over a 5-10 minute period as I was casually driving home.

Driving up the steep hill when it was under heavy load is when it really crapped it's pants, but would still flit between first and second with a bit of force, but then just first, pulled into the garage and, nothing, stuck.

God it was loud though.

And as luck would have it, my daily driver decided to do something to itself aswell, so won't start.

Guess I'm going to have to drain the oil and see what comes out. Scary though, apparantly it was rebuilt just before I bought it :(

haha, I have felt your anguish this week also, went to get the cows in my mitsi triton the other morning, drove up to the end of the paddock and had to do a three point turn, put it into reverse, BANG, CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK, reverse gear blew itself to bits, and I was just casual as backing up! wasnt giving it the jandal or anything, bloody mitsis, its a 2003 with 90kms too so not like its old and worn out, that was monday, picked it up yesterday, new gearset and bearings etc, $2k missing from my bank account

OOOOOOOH jebus.. that sounds TERRRIBLE. doesnt sound like BEB nugga nugga tho which is good.

gearbox has died by the sounds of it.

YIKES...

can i come round for a look - i've only just seen the thread.

quite often gearsets let go when there is no load on them :) gb removal and splitting time for you buddy :(

Nah, I haven't done anything at all with it. Parked it up in the garage, kicked it and went inside.

I don't think I have enough room in my garage to do anything don't you think ?

Anything you could do to help is always appreciated !

caspros said:

That's true. We can roll it back enough to at least get the oil out and watch bits of my gearbox drop.

It would probably be too hard to do the gearbox there though I imagine.

read above re trailer and tow car. I have access to a cheap trailer. and winch, have a tow car :)

Ah well, I've had almost 2 years of trouble free racing. But, still, it's just super frustrating that it all happened for no reason.

And just seemed to coincide to the day that my other car decided to short it's "Seat Control Module" and drain the battery, which is a nice $900 for the part.

caspros said:

But, still, it's just super frustrating that it all happened for no reason.

bhehehehehehehe your funnyy... that gb gets 238kw put through it and fairly well raped on the track sir. and its been fairly crunchy for a fair while you must admit!

dibs on your front LSD ehehehehehe

funkytown']

[quote name='caspros said:

/quote]

bhehehehehehehe your funnyy... that gb gets 238kw put through it and fairly well raped on the track sir. and its been fairly crunchy for a fair while you must admit!

Well it had a *slight* crunch in 3rd :) Yeah, just take the whole damn thing ;D

caspros']

[quote name='caspros said:

/quote]

Well it had a *slight* crunch in 3rd :) Yeah, just take the whole damn thing ;D

no joking now.. p.s your dont want to just ditch that box just yet.

else if you do, i will gladly take it.

been there.

at 3:49

a gear has let go and the teeth are jamming the selector rods.

easy if its 5th. relatively cheap if its 1st or 2nd driven. expensive if its 1st or 2nd main pinion. ridiculous if its 3/4th.

don't give the box away, its worth money as is or *could* be repaired cheaper than a replacement box.

Bemrose said:

mint condition gearbox lol

Ha ha ha ha ha

been there.
at 3:49

a gear has let go and the teeth are jamming the selector rods.

easy if its 5th. relatively cheap if its 1st or 2nd driven. expensive if its 1st or 2nd main pinion. ridiculous if its 3/4th.

don't give the box away, its worth money as is or *could* be repaired cheaper than a replacement box.

Yeah, I'll get it checked out first. I bet bit's have flown around and damaged absolutely anything that could be damaged in there.