Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subaru RWD Coupe STi & Toyota FT-86... WTF!?

matty231

Been reading up on the new Subaru RWD Coupe that Toyota is helping make (releasing it's own variant in the Japan market). Now I know it may sound silly but I really think it is shit that Subaru is likely to leave out an AWD version. For a start I always (and I lot of people I know) associate the brand with AWD, and I'd as a great fan would hate to see a RWD car be released by Subaru. Even though Subaru may satisfy a wider audience with a light RWD coupe, I think it sort of spoils the unique brand Subaru has as the #1 AWD car brand.

And making it worse I read that maybe Subaru's new 3rd gen boxer will be incorporated into the Toyota's variant therefore positioning the Boxer into a Toyota. Yuck! I'd prefer it if Subaru stuck to there unique AWD system and not share their engines with the Toyota. But, this may be just speculation, it may not even end up in the Toyota but several articles stated it would.

What do you think?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

matty231 said:

What do you think?

I think you didn't do your homework.

The whole raison d'être of the project was a return to sports car basics; lightweight and simplicity.

4wd and turbos don't fall under the terms of reference.

Modern cars are full of nannying crap that kills any driving enjoyment.

Keeping things simple maintains the fun factor plus has other benefits.

As for the Subaru "brand", no one cares any more, least of all Subaru.

newsuba']

[quote name='matty231 said:

What do you think?

/quote]

I think you didn't do your homework.

The whole raison d'être of the project was a return to sports car basics; lightweight and simplicity.

4wd and turbos don't fall under the terms of reference.

Modern cars are full of nannying crap that kills any driving enjoyment.

Keeping things simple maintains the fun factor plus has other benefits.

What do you mean, 'raison d'être' is that french? I had a look on several articles and they said it'd be RWD with toyota using their new boxer engine so I did my homework.... Yea the new coupe; it's simple and lightweight without the extra awd components but could you call it a subaru without awd?? I think it sort of spoils the brand, why not just release the Toyota version and subaru can have a stake in that. But i suppose it'll help subaru sell more cars.

Lots of people do care about the brand still, you may not but when you look around a s***load still do.

ReubenH']

[quote name='newsuba said:

/quote]

Sadly true.

Regardless, what i have seen to date actually says the subaru version will be a AWD turbo boxer, and the toyota will be RWD and NA boxer.

Well I hope so! :) Not that i'm gunna buy one.

Swindog said:

Agree with the above. Its an interesting joint venture though. Wasnt it designed as a cheap drifter that could be your daily driver too?

I suppose you could say it is, it was supposed to be something like under $20,000US and their Legacy's start at $20k so it must be the cheap sporty alternative.

I will have one. Ive been watching the Toyota/Subaru FT86 for a few years now.

I am glad they didnt kill the project. It also means more money for Subaru.

No one knows any thing about the Subaru verson.... Its all specialation...

Only thing we know is that there will be a subaru one. Also there is a RWD Subaru Impreza hatch being used as a test mule around the track.

The motor is sitting lower and futher back so trying to make it awd would be alot more difficult and expensive. So most likely stay RWD.

The Toyota verson is going to have a motor that will have D4 Direct injection and possibly fancyer heads done by Yammaha??

Could be a motor that would be very sort out for engine transplants.

Subaru has done many different varients of how they drive their wheels.. RWD Rear engine, Rear engine 4wd, Front wheel drive, PT4wd, FT4wd, AWD etc

Old Skool Subbie said:

I will have one. Ive been watching the Toyota/Subaru FT86 for a few years now.

I am glad they didnt kill the project. It also means more money for Subaru.

No one knows any thing about the Subaru verson.... Its all specialation...

Only thing we know is that there will be a subaru one. Also there is a RWD Subaru Impreza hatch being used as a test mule around the track.

The motor is sitting lower and futher back so trying to make it awd would be alot more difficult and expensive. So most likely stay RWD.

The Toyota verson is going to have a motor that will have D4 Direct injection and possibly fancyer heads done by Yammaha??

Could be a motor that would be very sort out for engine transplants.

Subaru has done many different varients of how they drive their wheels.. RWD Rear engine, Rear engine 4wd, Front wheel drive, PT4wd, FT4wd, AWD etc

mmmm Interesting have u got linkies for these ,

Old Skool Subbie said:

Old stuff... Rear Engine RWD 360s :P and 360 Samba Trucks

Newer stuff Domingo Came in RWD Rear engine and 4WD Rear engine.

Also newer and brand new Sambas are still Rear engine Rear drive and Rear engine 4wd.

Oh yeah true I seen a wee samba tipper,was 4wd rear engine I wanted it :) mmmmm trike engine does the vivio rxra engine bolt to this setup ???

personally i think it "should" re invigorate the subaru brand.

Sure it might not be AWD but hey, a step back to light performance vehicles with few driver aids and chuckability is a step forward for me!

IMO Subaru has been tarnishing their image since 2004 imo with the new wrxs and stis lacking in fun factor and getting heavier and slower.

I will await developments.

Oh OP: raison d' etre means reason for existance I think(if my french from high school is still with me...)

DRFVDR']

[quote name='Old Skool Subbie said:

Old stuff... Rear Engine RWD 360s :P and 360 Samba Trucks

Newer stuff Domingo Came in RWD Rear engine and 4WD Rear engine.

Also newer and brand new Sambas are still Rear engine Rear drive and Rear engine 4wd.

/quote]

Oh yeah true I seen a wee samba tipper,was 4wd rear engine I wanted it :) mmmmm trike engine does the vivio rxra engine bolt to this setup ???

It mite do depending on the motor... But saying that all the the sambas/Domingos have the engine on a slant so it mite do some damage? Not sure on that.

The domingo is fitted with a 3 cylinder Justy engine but that lays on its side.

ODB said:

personally i think it "should" re invigorate the subaru brand.

Sure it might not be AWD but hey, a step back to light performance vehicles with few driver aids and chuckability is a step forward for me!

IMO Subaru has been tarnishing their image since 2004 imo with the new wrxs and stis lacking in fun factor and getting heavier and slower.

I will await developments.

Oh OP: raison d' etre means reason for existance I think(if my french from high school is still with me...)

the thing is, subaru still pops out some pretty good JDM versions of the WRX/Legacy. All the "internaional models" are tacky, and boring, but all the Japan Car makers have alot of JDM goodness.

Subaru STi: 2.5 international. 2.0 JDM with likes of R250, Spec C

Honda civic: ugly as hell 2 door type R. JDM 2 door plus a sexy 4 door in 3 different perfromance levels

And their new "CRX" coupe which is pretty cool

Mitsi Evo X: buy 4 different versions from dealer in J-land.

I still notice the International versions of teh different car makes..... Its the JDM versions (and lucky you guys still in NZ who can import these very easy) that keeps me interested.

ODB said:

I agree with that, ever since SI drive, electronic throttles, 2.5 single scroll setups, i've been liking the brand less and less. I hope they realise a chunk of the market does not want these silly aids, and want to get back to driving.

And no, i'm not implying i'm a part of that market, but i'm sure there's many that share my opinion, and they'll show it if subaru and toyota do the right thing with this coupe.

• 1 month later...

Most of them always had the option to disable driver aids.

I see no trend in auto makers stepping away from them. They are slowly perfecting them.

ODB said:

At least they have still been doing the limited runs of fun cars like the S204, RA-R and spec C's. The new 2010 2.5 wrx have been a step up imo, they pull harder and look good with the wide body standard in the wrx.